R. Mansfield

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 2,788 posts
  • Twitter:@thislamp
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted 29 August 2017 - 11:30 AM

Although I admittedly haven't been using Mellel in recent years as much as I used to, I always keep it current as I have hundreds of documents from previous years created with it. I would guess that it still probably handles right-to-left languages on the Mac better than anything else, even with MS Word improving tremendously (finally!) in the most recent version. 

Mellel 4 has been released in the last couple of days, and it's worth looking at if you're doing any kind of academic writing on the Mac or working with Hebrew, Arabic, and other RTL languages a lot. 

If you have the Mac App Store version, it is not a free upgrade, but is considered a separate release. However, MAS users of Mellel 3.x can get an upgrade price by clicking on the link here that will install a non-MAS version of Mellel 4 and will migrate all your v. 3.x settings and content over to v. 4. 

Mellel has always had a little bit of a learning curve because it's never been "just another word processor," but instead a word processor rethought from the ground up. In other words, don't expect that because you know Word or Pages that you can just jump in and get going. You need to invest some time in learning. That's not to suggest Mellel is complicated; rather, it just works differently. Fortunately, they have really beefed up their tutorial section for Mellel 4, including quite a few new videos

Mellel also works really well with bibliographic management software, Bookends, which I have continuously used for over a decade, even as I have bounced around at times to different word processors (Bookends works with just about everything). If you want both programs and have neither, there is a discounted combo purchase price available. If you already have Bookends and want a discount on Mellel, you will want to fill out this form

This is a totally non-compensated endorsement--I have no direct ties to Mellel or those behind it (or Bookends either). However, looking at the new version of Mellel, I admit that I am tempted to go back to using it more regularly. 

• Mark Allison likes this

Rick Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

Accordance Bible Software

Gear for Running Accordance:

macOS

2014 Mac Mini - 2.6 Ghz dual core Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, macOS Sierra/macOS Server

2016 15" MacBook Pro - 2.9 Ghz Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, macOS High Sierra beta

Windows

2014 15.6" Acer R7-572 - 1.6 Ghz Core i5, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB mSATA, 512 GB SSD, Windows 10

iOS

2016 iPhone 7 Plus - 256 GB, Verizon, iOS 11 beta

2016 iPad Pro (12.9") - 256 GB, Verizon, iOS 11 beta

#2 Mark Allison

Mark Allison

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 747 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 01:50 PM

And the formatting of Accordance Turabian and SBL footnotes works perfectly!

#3 revtim

revtim

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Interests:discipling, loving my wife and family, the Bible, preaching, & technology

Posted 29 August 2017 - 05:42 PM

Rick,

I will be returning to school early in 2018 (starting my D.Min). Does Mellel export to docx or doc? Do you know if it opens those files or RTF?

Thanks!

In Christ,

Tim Hall

#4 Alistair

Alistair

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X

Posted 29 August 2017 - 05:48 PM

Rick,

I will be returning to school early in 2018 (starting my D.Min). Does Mellel export to docx or doc? Do you know if it opens those files or RTF?

Thanks!

There is a 30 day trial available

#5 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 2,788 posts
  • Twitter:@thislamp

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:26 PM

Does Mellel export to docx or doc? Do you know if it opens those files or RTF?

It can open and save to .doc Word files. If the Word file contains footnotes, you want to export to RTF from Word first and then import the RTF file. 

As Alistair mentioned, there is a free trial available. Not only can you try out some of these features with the trial, you can also look at the very detailed PDF manual which will give you much more information. 

Rick Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

Accordance Bible Software

Gear for Running Accordance:

macOS

2014 Mac Mini - 2.6 Ghz dual core Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, macOS Sierra/macOS Server

2016 15" MacBook Pro - 2.9 Ghz Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, macOS High Sierra beta

Windows

2014 15.6" Acer R7-572 - 1.6 Ghz Core i5, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB mSATA, 512 GB SSD, Windows 10

iOS

2016 iPhone 7 Plus - 256 GB, Verizon, iOS 11 beta

2016 iPad Pro (12.9") - 256 GB, Verizon, iOS 11 beta

#6 revtim

revtim

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Interests:discipling, loving my wife and family, the Bible, preaching, & technology

Posted 30 August 2017 - 08:36 AM

Thanks to both of you!!

In Christ,

Tim Hall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users