Abram K-J

Mithril

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,694 posts
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 22 November 2017 - 08:51 AM

For anyone interested, Mellel announced a 40% off Black Friday deal yesterday evening. (Link goes right to Store page... what they sent me to from the email announcement I received.)

Abram K-J
Pastor, Writer, Editor, Blogger
Web: Words on the Word

#22 Yohanan

Yohanan

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X

Posted 22 November 2017 - 06:11 PM

Scrivener is in the process of giving me a free upgrade to v3 since I purchased v2 right before v3 hit (I couldn't take it any longer, I had to have it). LibreOffice is going to be more of an office suite, so you'll have all the stuff the whole Office suite has.

If you're wanting just a simple, powerful word processor with good language support, try Nisus Writer Pro. They also offer 50% off if you're an academic user.

While I use Nota Bene for academic documents now, I still keep Nisus Writer Pro around for my everyday use, and I have successfully done many a paper in Nisus Writer Pro. It's powerful, simple, and will make you forget Word even exists. If you email the company and get Dave, tell him Nathan Parker sent you to him. He'll remember me and glad to see another person get Nisus.

Dear Nathan Parker,

I am just experiencing a little bit of Nisus Writer Pro and I am a bit perplex. On one hand it is very attractive by its simplicity (the videos tutorial are good) but It crashed also already once on the MacBook 12 yesterday and now on the Imac (both last version of High Sierra) where I am exploring it right now. If this is not a recurrent problem, I will be very pleased with this (though I have still to experience what kind of Hebrew font it can manage). Actively wait and see…

#23 Stefan Green

Stefan Green

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Twitter:@hosgreen

Posted 23 November 2017 - 02:26 AM

I recommend you try Mellel also, which does not crash (it is solid), and the learning curve is in my view somewhat exaggerated by some users.

Sincerely

Stefan Green

#24 Yohanan

Yohanan

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 05:48 AM

Sadly enough, because the processor seems very user friendly, I will not buy the Nisus Writer Pro, it crashes regularly like you mentioned Michel. I did buy Mellel yesterday night because of the opportunity of the special discount, and will have to follow the hard path of learning a fully new environment if I understood correctly what has been said. I was also a bit surprised by the not very well organised website of Nisus.

• Stefan Green likes this

#25 Michel Gilbert

Michel Gilbert

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • Interests:heritage homes, antiques, gardens, fresh food, good coffee, live music, ויין אשר ישמח לבב אנוש (Ps 104,15)
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted 23 November 2017 - 09:27 AM

Hi Yohanan,

One thing is for sure, Mellel will not crash. I've had a file open for over two months, and it only closed when the power went out. But it autosaved my work, so I didn't lose a thing.

In case you haven't already, to get started quickly, click Window > Palettes > Toggle Palettes, and in the Palettes Window choose top left Attributes, and Character near the top right. Then you will see your Fonts, etc.

Then, right click in the top toolbar in an empty space and Customize Toolbar, and drag your preferred items into it, including Toggle Palettes.

The hardest part is figuring out styles, etc., something that others on the Forum are probably better at than me.

Regards,

Michel

• Stefan Green likes this

Accordance 12.1 & 2.5

Mac mini, High Sierra, 10.13.2

iPad mini, 11.2

Android beta, 0.56

Huawei, Android 6.0.1

#26 Martin Zhang

Martin Zhang

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted 24 November 2017 - 01:11 PM

Zotero doesn't work with Mellel.  :(

Martin

Accordance v.12

MacOS High Sierra

iOS 11

Win10 Pro

Android? ??

Accordance tutorials in Chinese.

#27 Nathan Parker

Nathan Parker

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 26 November 2017 - 12:27 AM

Sorry you had issues with Nisus Writer Pro crashing. It hasn't crashed once on my iMac running High Sierra.

Mellel is also VERY solid, and I never had it crash either. Hebrew support is solid as well, and performance is great. It also syncs well with iPads should you need it. It takes a little time to learn, but now that I've spent more time with other word processors, I finally "get" it now. 

You'll be very pleased with Mellel. It's one solid program.

Nota Bene is excellent as well and one I've enjoyed using. Personally I own Nota Bene, Mellel, and Nisus Writer Pro, and I enjoy all three of them depending on the task I do. You really can't go wrong as long as you find one solid for your needs.

Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://focusingonthemarkministries.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users