Sync with iCloud Drive instead of Dropbox?

Rick

Has there been any discussion of adding support for syncing User Files via iCloud Drive instead of Dropbox? 

Dropbox is a memory hog, and I'm extremely cautious when apps that request unnecessary security privileges (see here). Since iCloud is built into the OS, it seems like a natural option.

• Like 2

Accordance is a native Dropbox client so there is no actual need to install the macOS Finder client in order to use Dropbox for user content syncing.

• 1 year later...

I am new to Accordance, and I am interested in using iCloud Drive instead of Dropbox.  Two related issues are raised below.

I have Accordance 12.3.1 on both an iMac and a MacBook Pro, both of which have MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6.

First, why is there is a problem using iCloud Drive instead of Dropbox?  My "Accordance Files" folder is in my Documents folder, which is configured to be stored in iCloud Drive.  When I switch between my iMac and my MacBook Pro, I find that the files in the sub-folders Stacks, User Notes, Papers, Highlights, etc., are the same as they were on the other system.  Isn't this accomplishing the same thing that is done by syncing to Dropbox?  For example, I can open my Notes on either MacOS system and find that they are the same.

Second, I would like to arrange it so that when I start Accordance on either system, it would start up with the same resources open that I had open when I left the other system, but I don't know if that's possible.  Any comments on that?

Thanks.

Steve Westfall

• Like 3

Something to keep in mind ... Accordance is not an Apple only product anymore. So I would imagine using iCloud only would be problematic.

Of course, I am not a programmer or a part of the Accordance team.

Steve,

You are right, if you are only using apple devices, you probably do not need to use dropbox, since the "Accordance Files" folder will already sync if your Mac has iCloud on.  The dropbox option is handy for people with one or more non-Mac installations, or for people who want an extra online backup of their user files.

Steve,

You are right, if you are only using apple devices, you probably do not need to use dropbox, since the "Accordance Files" folder will already sync if your Mac has iCloud on.  The dropbox option is handy for people with one or more non-Mac installations, or for people who want an extra online backup of their user files.

So iCloud is fully supported like dropbox?

Greetings

Fabian

There's been more than a little discussion. And no action at this point. The A-team has their reasons, I suppose. 

So iCloud is fully supported like dropbox?

Greetings

Fabian

No. You can store your files there. I do, as a back up. But they will not sync as Accordance has no option to allow it. 

Edited by A. Smith

Anthony, I'm not sure what you mean by "they will not sync", since that is exactly what happens automatically (without needing a "sync" command) with Apple's iCloud service.  The files are being stored in the cloud, and you get the same version of the files no matter which Apple device you use to access them.  Assuming that you have an Internet connection, the locally-cached copy of the file is refreshed from the cloud whenever the master copy in the cloud is changed.

Steve

Steve,

Unless I'm missing something, this won't work with all Apple devices. iPhone and iPad cannot load Accordance Files from a folder in iCloud Drive in the same way it can load them with Dropbox, right?

If your goal is to sync a folder only between two Macs, then yes, this will work. 

You're probably right.  I don't have an iPad with iCloud, so I can't speak with any authority.

Yes, I believe using iCloud in the manner I described only works between two Macs.

I also have Accordance on my iPad, and in its Library there is a "My Notes" category that contains a "Mobile Notes" object, which appears to be specific to the mobile device.  I don't know if it would share it with another mobile device such as an iPhone.

Steve

Yes, I believe using iCloud in the manner I described only works between two Macs.

I also have Accordance on my iPad, and in its Library there is a "My Notes" category that contains a "Mobile Notes" object, which appears to be specific to the mobile device.  I don't know if it would share it with another mobile device such as an iPhone.

Steve

You can sync those notes, but unfortunately only through Dropbox.  iCloud syncing of settings folder structures will only get you so far, and only on the Mac — the iPhone and iPad are still out to dry.

Edited by Rich