nicot/nicnt (43 volumes)

Andrew G

new international commentary (NICOT/NICNT)

$599 is more than i want to spend, and i passed on the wbc sale (somewhat regretting that)...

will there be regret here too if passed on this...

one week to decide...

help those of us who are on the fence...

here's dr. j's review on the product page:

"NICOT/NT have been my "go to" commentaries for many years. I have used many of them, first as a student, then as a prof. I consider them solid, quality, trustworthy, (theologically) middle-of-the-road
classic commentaries. The authors combine historical background with solid word studies and good exegesis. They don't tend to break new ground, but they also avoid outrageous and avant-garde theories. Think
of them as a more comprehensive Tyndale Commentary set.

By "classic," I mean that these two sets do not provide much in the way of cultural background (like ZIBBCOT/NT) or contemporary application (like NIVAC). These are more recent trends. The NICOT/NT is also not as technical as Hermeneia, Keil and Delitzche, NIGTC, or even the UBS Translator's Handbooks—NT. It is more readable than any of them."

(saw it was also offered at this price in october 2016)

Edited by gugu009
  • Like 1

, and i passed on the wbc sale (somewhat regretting that)...

will there be regret here too if passed on this...

help those of us who are on the fence...

(saw it was also offered at this price in october 2016)

Its hard on a budget and it so depends on what you want, and this is purely personal. I like wbc and gel with it, there are a few volumes missing and have got the nicnt on 1 cor. I also have Nivac which i really like.

Forgetting best commentary web site and totally accepting there are weak and strong volumes in all sets. For One of my first assignments, i found i had access to a library with lots of good commentaries and i was able to spend a week with them and the wbc was the one i used most.

I have come to realise that i like structure and i go to commentaries for different things at different times. I really appreciate how wbc and nivac are laid out so wbc has translation, notes on the translation, a section on structure and some comments and then the authors thoughts on interpretation. Nivac has three sections, often more, putting it in original context and then giving you something for current application.

With nicnt, you get all the info mixed up so i find it takes a lot longer to find the actual info i am looking for as i typically have to read all of the section. Yes its good but hard work.

I had to wait several years for wbc to be on sale and since then i think it has been on sale twice again and at a lower price. Nicot/nt series has also been on sale previously but also not very frequently.

Both are respected and would be valuable additions and long term, you may even find you can afford both and more, but for me, wbc suits what i am looking for and the way i work. Very personal and we are all different and want different things. (I preach but my original language skills are very poor and I'm working on that and hope to get to a basic level).

I definitely think a set of 'technical' commentaries are valuable, did you get the nignt set when on offer?

So i would get yourself to a library or a book store and compare the volumes. Even consider buying a volume of nicnt and looking at it.

But if you end up preaching or want something to really take your own personal reflection to a new level, consider nivac as well as i find without exception, it gets me thinking about a passage in a totally different way.

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

Thanks for that. Im definitely going to purchase the nivac when it goes on sale again. I actually bought all the volumes on kindle when it was on sale (this was bf i had accordance) but the formatting is terrible on kindle.

• Like 1

I agree it is a good value... that said people are very different... I don't come away feeling spiritually nourished and edified as much as with WBC (to compare similar sets), that said I own NIC in Accordance and find it valuable and for me much more valuable than the NIVAC would be (just not a huge fan). But we are all very different some volumes in the NIC I feel are worth their weight in gold... Psalms is by far my favourite 1 volume commentary on Psalms and only a little behind Goldingay's 3 volume treatment in Baker over all with NIB's treatment coming in 3rd for me (I find volume 1 of the psalms superb in WBC the other two volumes feel more uneven to me).

-dan

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Could anyone comment if the 4 older NICNT volumes are worth picking up in the sale? I'm guessing John, Hebrews and James could be but am surprised Fees earlier edition of 1Cor is still available, is there a good reason to still get this version? Thanks

• Like 1

All,

My opinion, from a preaching, lay person's view

The volumes are good, got me through 6 years+ of seminary, though that was in the 90's.  I have since used the new volumes on John, Hebrews and James for talks, all good.

Depends on what you use them for, if its seminary then you will use most of the set (depending on where you study, most conservative evangelical institutions will have these on reading lists, and multiple library copies of many of these)  some of the older volums may no longer be leaders in their field. 

If it's Greek you are after, some of these are better than others in discussing Gk, or there is

The New International GK commentary or the Baker set. 

To my mind, the set is basic academic Evangelical commentary on the bible, its great.  

John by Morris has was one of the best commentaries on John until Carson (mid level commentary on the English text). 

Bruce on Hebrews was landmark commentry when it was released, Anything by Bruce is good because of his theological outlook.

1 Corinthians by Fee 1st edition was a good commentary,haven't used the 2nd edition even though I own it.

The one I never used was the original James, had the NIGNT instead back in seminary.

If you are preaching these are all good,

However, I also use the NIV App series and find that good.

Leaving you in God's Care and Grace

Phil

• Like 1

Thanks Phil, appreciate the detailed response, helpful to know. I'm tempted to pick up the older volumes, except 1Cor.

Paul

Im definitely going to purchase the nivac when it goes on sale again..

Nows your chance!

They even available as individual volumes for the first time.

;o)

Nows your chance!

They even available as individual volumes for the first time.

;o)

yes i saw!

however, a bit sad that it's not at the 70% off it was the last two times, but at 65%/66%.  still a great deal, but $46.60 more than before for the entire collection

also, for OT at least, if you buy them all individually, it's $217.80 (22 X 9.90).  if you buy it as a set, it's $219.

Nt is about $10 more than when i bought it in april 2015 which is still good value.

Its great having single volumes and i think i will replace my kindle OT volumes with accordance ones as they are more useful with links, search etc and i much prefer scrolling in accordance to the swipe pages of kindle.

Its great having single volumes and i think i will replace my kindle OT volumes with accordance ones as they are more useful with links, search etc and i much prefer scrolling in accordance to the swipe pages of kindle.

Oh, having replaced a few and added a few, the formatting in accordance is sooooooooo much better, adjusting font etc as well as all the accordance add ons.

And i can scroll!

;o)

• Like 2

It's almost worth getting just for Barry Webb's Judges commentary alone. He began his career with a PhD on Judges, and 20 years later published the NICOT volume. Having heard him preach sections of it, he is definitely a profound interpreter of God's word. 

This from his foreword:

Alison, my wife now for forty years, has shared my excitement when I have made discoveries, and patiently endured many mealtimes when I have been brooding over knotty problems instead of talking to her. I know she forgives me, but want her to know that I do not take her love for granted.
Judges is not a nice book. It’s rough and raw and confronting. Working on it has been like living with someone who always tells you the truth: it is good for you, but not pleasant. In this commentary I have tried to let Judges be what it is instead of taming it. Readers will have to judge whether or not I’ve succeeded.
I am an evangelical Christian, and have tried to put whatever scholarly abilities I have at God’s disposal. I trust this commentary will serve, in some way, his purposes for his church and his world.

Barry G. Webb, The Book of Judges, NICOT; Accordance electronic ed. (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2012), xvii.
  • Like 3