SALE! SUPER SUMMER SAVINGS!

R. Mansfield

SUPER SUMMER SAVINGS with Accordance Bible Software! Get incredible discounts on Keener's ACTS + publisher specials on NICOT/NT & BECNT + 25% off Accordance 12 Collections!

• PUBLISHER'S SPECIAL! Baker Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament (18 volumes)--35% OFF!

*Coupon does not apply to Accordance 12 Starter, Master Collections, or All-in-All.

Special sale prices on the products featured above cannot be combined with other discounts. The special offer on all products, including the Collections (and Custom Upgrades) will end on Sept. 11, 2017 at 11:59 PM EDT.

For more information, see today's blog post!

So, I've been waiting patiently for the NICOT/NICNT to go on sale...  now that it's finally here and am wishing it could have waited another month or two!!  I think I blew through my Accordance budget for the entire year a month back!!!

Looks to see which body organs can be legally sold....  ;) 

Edited by Rich

So, I've been waiting patiently for the NICOT/NICNT to go on sale... now that it's finally here and am wishing it could have waited another month or two!! I think I blew through my Accordance budget for the entire year a month back!!!

Looks to see which bodily organs can be legally sold.... ;)

You could always set up a payment plan or maybe sell some blood at a blood bank

What a great news! Does it offer the possibility for a custom upgrade?

Sorry, we simply cannot offer custom upgrades on the commentary sets, because of the way the royalties are structured. If you acquire all the individual volumes we will upgrade you to the set for free, but that is all we can do.

Nice. Was able to plug the two gaps remaining in my individual-volume NT commentaries after NIGTC and Pillar, Ephesians and 1 Peter. Did it for $43. Wish I could have bought the whole NT set, but man, there's got to be a limit.

Thanks Helen. Another question is will the BECNT set also provide the option to sell individually after the sale?

Yes it will, but not at sale prices. We will have the 10% extra discount when buying 3 or more volumes, as we do on other multi-volume series.

How is the BECNT series?

I don't have it but this is what Carson says:

The Baker Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament is a large-scale project, in some ways rivaling the NIGTC series: both in the degree of interaction with secondary literature and in its reliance on the Greek text, BECNT is a major evangelical contribution. At the same time, because it provides the Greek both in Greek font and in transliteration, translates any foreign-language expression, and is edited for readability, the series aims to draw readers all the way from serious scholars to pastors and students to "the motivated lay Christian who craves a solid but accessible exposition." Protestations of readability aside, I suspect that most readers will be serious pastors, students, and scholars. More than some series, BECNT tries to integrate exegesis and serious confessional theological reflection.

Carson. New Testament commentary survey (7e) pp.8–9

Carson rates BECNT for Mark, Luke, Romans (second to Moo), 1Cor, Galatians, Ephesians (second to O'Brian, now OOP), James, 1Pet, 1–3John, and Revelation (second to Beale).

BECNT was on sale at the same discount (35%) in Feb 2017, see https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/20728-save-300-on-becnt-modern-issues-titles/?hl=becnt. It may 'come round again', you never know.

If you have NIGNT then BECNT appear to be quite similar according to Guide to Biblical Commentaries and Reference Works (2016) by John F. Evans.

Don't forget to make use of the PayPlan: e.g. $77.75 per month for 12 months. See https://www.accordancebible.com/Payment-Planfor details. Spread the cost for a low monthly fee.
Edited by Alistair

I don't have it but this is what Carson says:

The Baker Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament is a large-scale project, in some ways rivaling the NIGTC series: both in the degree of interaction with secondary literature and in its reliance on the Greek text, BECNT is a major evangelical contribution. At the same time, because it provides the Greek both in Greek font and in transliteration, translates any foreign-language expression, and is edited for readability, the series aims to draw readers all the way from serious scholars to pastors and students to "the motivated lay Christian who craves a solid but accessible exposition." Protestations of readability aside, I suspect that most readers will be serious pastors, students, and scholars. More than some series, BECNT tries to integrate exegesis and serious confessional theological reflection.

Carson. New Testament commentary survey (7e) pp.8–9

Carson rates BECNT for Mark, Luke, Romans (second to Moo), 1Cor, Galatians, Ephesians (second to O'Brian, now OOP), James, 1Pet, 1–3John, and Revelation (second to Beale).

BECNT was on sale at the same discount (35%) in Feb 2017, see https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/20728-save-300-on-becnt-modern-issues-titles/?hl=becnt. It may 'come round again', you never know.

If you have NIGNT then BECNT appear to be quite similar according to Guide to Biblical Commentaries and Reference Works (2016) by John F. Evans.

Don't forget to make use of the PayPlan: e.g. $77.75 per month for 12 months. See https://www.accordancebible.com/Payment-Planfor details. Spread the cost for a low monthly fee.

Thank you for the detailed response!!

I have a hard copy of Andreas J. Kostenberger's Baker Commentary on John Gospel and put it in my top-shelf pile for that Gospel. Bock's work on Luke and Acts is also very good (read during my time in college).

Other Baker commentaries I touched upon during my studies were Garland on 1 Corinthians (also from memory very good)

I may have to just pass because I have NIGTC already and can't justify a $549 purchase, hopefully it'll be cheaper in another sale later in the future.

Even with the Australian dollar hitting 80c to the dollar I can't justify it either. Too many other previous sales that I couldn't let pass.

I also need to use the many commentaries I already have before I can justify buying more.

Too many other previous sales that I couldn't let pass.

I also need to use the many commentaries I already have before I can justify buying more.

My concern is that if we cant support accordance, then they will have less bargaining power with the publishers who are agreeing to the marvelous sales.

But like you, I am not using all the commentaries i have though i also agree with the comment that we should not just be using those that fit in with our position but should be using those we dont agree with.

• Like 1

Good to see Harris on 2 Cor is on the list. I am to start reading it on Monday.

thx
D

As does the other main contenders, wbc, nicnt and pillar. However, I am very surprised to see that even nivac has made an appearance in this list.

I've seen NIVAC recommended quite a few times, I believe Dr. J rates it highly. Of course it is an application commentary series, so it all depend on what your needs are for a commentary.

Peter O'Brien get three mentions.

Edited by Alistair

My concern is that if we cant support accordance, then they will have less bargaining power with the publishers who are agreeing to the marvelous sales.

But like you, I am not using all the commentaries i have though i also agree with the comment that we should not just be using those that fit in with our position but should be using those we dont agree with.

I have a small but not insignificant book allowance provided by our congregation that I usually put towards purchasing a commentary set when they come up on sale.

I recently did a calculation on my spend on books (mostly within Accordance) over the last financial year. My personal contribution on top of the book allowance came to nearly 10x the whole annual amount of my allowance.

My kids have schooling, clothes, and food needs that I feel it is my duty to provide for. :-)

I would love to have Baker in Accordance but as I said I will have to let that one pass. The other question to keep in mind is am I Keener on Baker or on Keener? (The new Acts commentary is looking like it is going to get added to my library sooner rather than later).

P.S. Finally got my copy of Carta's Sacred Bridge when it went on sale recently.

Looks like we have another week to save up and decide. When is pay day?

Can you rent your children out for a bit of chimney cleaning or car washing or something.

;o)

• Like 1

Absolute last day for discounts on NICOT/NT, BECNT & Keener's ACTS--sale ends at midnight EDT tonight!