Footnotes in NRSV?

mgvh

I have Accordance 12, Greek and Hebrew Discoverer package.

In the ESV, ASV, and NET Bible, footnotes are displayed in the text so that I know to look for the annotation.

In the NRSV w/ Strong's, however, the footnotes are not displayed. You can only find them if you hover the mouse over the chapter:verse reference.

Is there a way to make the footnotes appear in the text? (I don't see any such option in the Text Display.)

If not, this is a feature request, since that really is needful to know.

Thanks.

• Like 2

Not that I know of I have requested this before but got no indication that the files would be upgraded... Hope we hear different but I am not holding my breath...

-dan

One thing though I noticed playing with this was :

Matt. 2:14 Then Joseph got up, took the child and his mother by night, and went to Egypt,

And the accompanying note :

Matt 2.14
Then Joseph — Gk he

And then the explanation of the abbreviation Gk

Gk    Septuagint, Greek version of the Old Testament

Given this is the NT this seems incorrect. Seem to occur every where Gk is used not unnaturally.

Thx

D

I should note that the one option that is available for the NRSV notes is to open a NRSV Translator's Notes in a tab in the Tool Zone and then link the tab.  That works, but I usually have other stuff showing in my Tools zone.

One thing though I noticed playing with this was :

Matt. 2:14 Then Joseph got up, took the child and his mother by night, and went to Egypt,

And the accompanying note :

Matt 2.14

Then Joseph — Gk he

And then the explanation of the abbreviation Gk

Gk    Septuagint, Greek version of the Old Testament

Given this is the NT this seems incorrect. Seem to occur every where Gk is used not unnaturally.

Thx

D

This was interesting! Checking out the 1965 version of the OAB with Apocrypha (using the 1962 OAB), one finds the Gk abbreviation explained as you stated. This abbreviation is used only in the OT. In the NT, a footnote referencing a word in the original Greek will appear as Greek Aram (as at Matt 1:4 Rama). This is what one would expect. This careful distinction also appears in the NOAB Expanded Ed. (1977). The NRSV (1989) text in both NOAB Augmented 3rd ed. (2007) and HCSB Rev. Ed. (2006) fails to make the distinction between Gk and Greek in the footnotes. Fascinating! For those with paper versions, did this change take place with the first version of the NRSV?

Shalom,

Joseph

• 3 months later...

Hoping a squeaky wheel gets attention... Asking again for NRSV footnotes to appear in the text. (Footnotes do appear in the NET Bible, so we know it can be done.)

• Like 1

Hi Michael,

This isn't so much a feature request. This is one of our older Bible texts and the e-text very likely came to us exactly as it is, without footnotes in the text. So we would have to go back and add them in. I've looked at the text, and I think we can do this without requiring manual insertion at every word / phrase, but it will still take a bit of time, and we have to prioritize it with other projects. 

So, all that to say, yes, I think we can do this, but I do not have an update release available yet.

Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Being a squeaky wheel again... It would really enhance the value of the NRSV to have the footnotes visible in the text. Thanks.

• Like 3

I do think I remember them saying somewhere it was something they would like to do..... beyond what Rick said... Now as to whether it will ever happen is a mystery but It would be a good thing. As Accordance is basically only one of the ore the major Bible programs with out the NRSV notes integrated.

-dan

• 1 year later...

I am happy to report that in the latest NRSV update that footnotes now display in the text. Well done, Accordance! Thanks!

• Like 1

Pericope headings have been added too. Perhaps in anticipation of an upcoming new feature in Accordance?

• Like 2

Now Mark has joined with Rick M in teasing us. Are you hinting at something to appear in very early April. ;)

—Joseph

29 minutes ago, Mark Allison said:

Pericope headings have been added too. 

Are they visible on the semi skimmed version or just the full fat? I can see them in the translators notes and believe my modules are up to date. (5.1)

F9DCBEFB-4C82-46A3-9271-633D772A8D77.png

• Like 1

At present, they're only visible in the notes module.

Edited by Mark Allison

1 hour ago, Mark Allison said:

At present, they're only visible in the notes module.

Thanks,