MLA Citation

Tim Hall

Good morning,

I am preparing to start working on my next degree and in my reading, I found that MLA is the style guide used (unfortunately). Would it be possible to add MLA to the citation options?

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

I know this is from awhile back, but being able to have citations in various forms would be awesome. I use APA daily, and so it would be awesome if citations could reflect that as well. 

• Like 1

Over the years there have been relatively sporadic requests for additional styles, MLA and APA included. It isn't that much work to implement, but since these styles are not the typical style used for religious studies, we have stayed with SBL and Turabian (Chicago). MLA is super basic in terms of the format, so is also very easy to do manually.

That said, we can continue to discuss this and decide when, and which styles to add in the future.

Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 2

Hi Rick,

I've been thinking about this one a little. It seems there are a variety of styles that might be used, including ones that are either quite rare or as yet do not exist. I am wondering if the citation styles could be made into a template sort of thing. Then users would be able to define their own styles, as well as having official Accordance issued ones.

Thx

D

• Like 2

I've been thinking about this one a little. It seems there are a variety of styles that might be used, including ones that are either quite rare or as yet do not exist. I am wondering if the citation styles could be made into a template sort of thing. Then users would be able to define their own styles, as well as having official Accordance issued ones.

Daniel, I know you were addressing that suggestion to Rick Bennett and not me, but I thought I might jump in for a second. 

While nothing is impossible with software given enough time and skill, and this suggestion may be a pretty good one, I wonder if creating one's own styles starts to creep in on the function of a reference manager like Endnote, Bookends, Zotero, Ibidem in NotaBene, etc. I would guess that we might eventually add support for some other formats, but if someone is doing a lot of writing for publication, or submitting papers for academic work, a reference manager like one of the ones I listed above is a much better solution. 

Some of our users might not realize it, but bibliographic data can be exported from our titles in the Library pane from the contextual menu. The export results in a text file with the .RIS extension that can then be imported into any of the references managers I've listed here and a whole lot more. If you're using a reference manager, it doesn't really matter what format for citation we have or do not have. It's the content in the .RIS file that's most important.

• Like 2

Hi Rick (M),

It's a good point that for substantial works other tools do this and more that is relevant to citation. I don't use a citation manager myself as I don't write for academic publication. I do use Zotero but haven't tried the RIS export and so I'm not sure how that would work in a multi-tool writing workflow. I suspect you may have a number of people who don't use citation manager tools and want a little more flexibility in the citation support, among your users.

Perhaps an interesting podcast could be done on academic writing workflows - no doubt several could be done :) And that might serve to clarify where Accordance fits in such a flow and how it plugs into upstream and downstream tooling. I would certainly find such a thing interesting.

Thx

D

• Like 1