What does this note in the EPT refer to ?

Λύχνις Δαν

Hi ya,

Reading the GNT-EPT I found this :

“τῆς φιλοξενίας μὴ ἐπιλανθάνεσθε· (2) διὰ ταύτης γὰρ ἔλαθόν τινες ξενίσαντες ἀγγέλους.”
(Hebrews 13:2 GNT-EPT)

Does anyone know what the "(2)" refers to ? It does not occur in the NA text and appears in any case to be a note reference of some kind. Mouseover reveals nothing in ID and I cannot find any translators notes or such to enlighten me. OSB doesn't appear to mention it.

Thx
D

I'll have to double check. It's certainly possible. I usually have the text set up for "separate verses" which means this shouldn't be in the middle of a line like it is. But perhaps it's an indication of alternative versification. I'm not in front of the relevant computer right now - I'll check later. Thanx.

Thx

D

Speculations are correct--the "(2)" indicates alternative versification. 

Ok so I've gone back and checked now and I see that this is what it is, but I now have this question. Which the EPT's original versification ? It appears that the Greek Orthodox Greek Texts on http://onlinechapel.goarch.org/biblegreek/Bible.grc.GBS.NT.1904.Heb/Bible.grc.GBS.NT.1904.Heb.13_v1.pdfreferred to by Michel above considers the "(2)" to be where it starts verse 2. I would have expected that the EPT text in Accordance would use the EPT's versification as the primary versification and if alternatives were listed they would be in parens.

But it appears that this text is versified according to the NA28. Is that so ?

thx

D

Edited by דָנִיאֶל

Maybe Rick Bennett can answer this question. 

@RickB, if you have a chance to comment on this I'd be grateful.

Thx

D

@RickB, if you have a chance to comment on this I'd be grateful.

Give him a few days. I should have noted that he was displaced from his home in Florida earlier this week due to the hurricane. 

Understood - I had wondered when I was posting whether or not that might be the case. My best to him as he sorts his situation there out.

Thx

D

The note is as suggested; it indicates where the versification differs. I spoke to Rex about this, and this has been his method for all Greek texts. But it is not actually that much work to map variant versification, just takes a bit of time. So, we are discussing making that change across several Greek New Testament texts.

……

Tampa was spared from any major hurricane damage as the storm weakened and shifted East (we were in a mandatory evacuation zone). Many are still without power, but we are fine. Our thoughts are with those who did not fare as well. :)

Hi Rick. Glad to hear you are ok.

Thanx for checking on this. I don't have an issue with variant versification in principle but would have expected the native versification, so to speak, to be the primary one, so I'd certainly welcome the change myself. I didn't realize that this was the general approach used for all his Greek texts but I've not studied one so closely before.

Thx

D

Hi Rick. Glad to hear you are ok.

Thanx for checking on this. I don't have an issue with variant versification in principle but would have expected the native versification, so to speak, to be the primary one, so I'd certainly welcome the change myself. I didn't realize that this was the general approach used for all his Greek texts but I've not studied one so closely before.

Thx

D

After a bit more research, it appears this is the only GNT text we've done that for (as opposed to LXX where we typically standardize to Rahlfs). We will edit this one so that it maps correctly using the native versification, and release in a future update (prob within a week).

Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 1

Thanx for this.

A thought for filing for later perhaps. I have wondered about the nature of versification before now and thought about less tightly binding it to the text it overlays. Such an approach allows for alternative versifications to be present on a single text. This has the advantage then of permitting tooling to choose which versification to use in operations on the text. From that one moves onto the ability for a user to provide their own most likely as derivatives of other ones but not necessarily.

Thx

D