Capturing video for forum queries or otherwise

Λύχνις Δαν

Hi ya,

I asked yesterday what we might be use to capture video on Windows boxes. On a Mac you can pretty much use included tooling. On Windows 10 there is the Game capture mode in the xBox app or you can use VLC to do it if you want to play about with it a bit. But neither of these is very simple, and neither highlights where the cursor is on screen and even pull down menus were not showing up in my video. Further it was hard to get capture to work on one screen or another. Your more or less had to start the capture app on the correct screen.

I asked a colleague at work today and he suggested Blueberry Software's Flashback Recorder https://www.flashbackrecorder.com/. This is very nice and has a free version that is perfectly adequate for getting support videos of what you are doing and so on. It will record from a window, from one screen or another if you have more than one, or from both screens. In addition voice over is trivially simple; just plug in your mic/headset and speak as you go. The only downside of the freeware version is that it only stores in two formats - its own fbr format and Windows Media Player. But that's probably mostly enough - and if not the cost of the Pro version for home/personal use is not at all bad.

In case this helps anyone else I thought I'd pass it on.

Thx

D

• Like 2

I'm sure there are a lot of apps that will do this. In Windows, I generally use Camtasia, which not only records the screen but also includes a video editor. They also sell Snagit, which is primarily for screen capture and screen recording. 

• Like 2

I didn't realize snagit did video. Also nice you get Mac and Win licenses together.

Thx
D

I have an old version of Camtasia. I have also used Jing, which is kind of a lightweight free version of SnagIt.

I am now using Office Mix. It's a free addin to PowerPoint, so it can not only do screen recording, one can annotate screens, etc.

Hello Daniel,

My friend and I did a presentation on third party softwares for profs and fellow students last year. We gathered a list of apps for screen recording.

Here is the list (the price is as of Sep. 2016):

1. Screen Recording

1. ScreenFlow for Mac ($90/ $89.1 [edu.])

1. Records your entire screen, and allows you to:

1. Choose one screen if you have multiple monitors

2. Record the front camera

3. Record audio from the computer microphone

4. Record the computer audio

2. Edit later after recording

1. Cropping

2. Zoom in/out

3. Add annotations, transitions, etc.

3. Export and upload to media websites

2. Mac alternatives

1. QuickTime Player (FREE)

1. Very light work

2. No annotation function

2. Monosnap (FREE)

1. Very light work.

2. Limited to cropping from the beginning and/or the end of a recording

3. Snagit ($49.95/ $29.95 [edu.]; one license for both Mac and PC)

1. Light work

2. No callouts, arrows, zoom, blur, etc. functions

4. Camtasia Studio ($99/ $75 [edu.])

1. Snagit plus the advanced functions such as callouts, arrows, zoom, blur, etc.

3. PC alternatives

1. Ezvid: FREE

2. Snagit: ($49/ $29.95 [edu.]) (for both Mac and Windows)

3. BlueBerry FlashBack Express Recorder:

1. FREE

2. PLUS ($89/ $39 [on sale now])

3. PRO ($199/ $99 [on sale now]

4. Camtasia Studio: ($299/ $179 [edu.])

• Like 2

I'm sure there are a lot of apps that will do this. In Windows, I generally use Camtasia, which not only records the screen but also includes a video editor. They also sell Snagit, which is primarily for screen capture and screen recording. 

I also use the windows version of Camtasia and think it is pretty intuitive for windows program.

Edit or POSTSCRIPT:

If you (or anyone else) happens to own a license for Camtasia version 9 then you (or anyone else) can now download the latest update for free: Version: 9.1.0. 

Edited by Brian K. Mitchell

Has, anyone ever heard of or used Open Broadcaster?

Open Broadcaster Software

https://obsproject.com/

Open Broadcaster Software is a free and open source software suite for recording and live streaming. Written in C and C++, OBS provides real-time source and device capture, scene composition, encoding, recording and broadcasting   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Broadcaster_Software

• Like 1

I have heard of, and use OBS quite frequently.  Its interface isn't the best (like much open source software), but functionality is on point.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I tried the inbuilt Xbox one and was unimpressed.

OBS is pretty intuitive and works well the couple of times I've used it.

I still haven't worked out how to upload to twitter even after converting to MP4 but I assume I'm to blame (I usually am with most technology things).