Lord in Small Caps

Randy Cue

Why when I copy as citation does "Lord" copy in all caps rather than in small caps as it is in the text? See attachment.

post-31190-0-32579200-1505343361_thumb.png

What are you pasting into and what are your paste settings???

Assuming its word, I have an old version of word and some of the settings are a bit limited so you may need to experiment but under preferences you will see these. My guess is the lower caps is seen by word as a 'local' format and it probably is getting stripped when you paste. It may be the smart style setting where Word tries to guess and gets it wrong as usual. Professional dtp peograms like InDesign can handel this as part of the style settings.

You may want to set it to select on paste so you can choose the most appropriate depending on the situation.

Couldnt find anything that would allow you to set local formatting under auto correct.

Not looked at Pages or other word processing settings.

post-31185-0-24833800-1505345384_thumb.png

Edited by ukfraser

I hadn't noticed before but pasting into 2011 word and cs4 indesign, Lord is changed into sentence case, dropping the last three CAPS and making them lowercase. I played with a few settings but it stayed @ Sentences case and havent found anything obvious to even retain it as all caps.

Should i ever need small caps, i would probably explore an automation in indesign or macro in word.

What are you currently pasting into, someone else may have a solution.

Edited by ukfraser

I hadn't noticed before but pasting into 2011 word and cs4 indesign, Lord is changed into sentence case, dropping the last three CAPS and making them lowercase. I played with a few settings but it stayed @ Sentences case and havent found anything obvious to even retain it as all caps.

Should i ever need small caps, i would probably explore an automation in indesign or macro in word.

What are you currently pasting into, someone else may have a solution.

Thanks for your input. I'm pasting into Word for Mac 2011. Haven't changed any of the normal paste settings in Word. I get the same results in Pages and Mellel.

By the way, the same thing happens with a simple copy and paste.

Currently in peru so dont have access to my mbp, but thinking about dr j's last podcast, what happens if you paste into papers?

Edited by ukfraser

Why when I copy as citation does "Lord" copy in all caps rather than in small caps as it is in the text? See attachment.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2017-09-13 at 5.52.23 PM.png

The "ORD" is not the same height as normal capital letters. This is often achieved by having a different font to produce the ORD. The most likely answer to your question is the font information is not coming across when you copy/paste, or, you don't have the font required.

Hello 

Create an Imported Bible from a txt with the content follows as:

John 1:1 lord LORD Lord <c>Lord</c> <c>LORD</c> <c>lord</c> <c>L</c>ord <c>l</c>ord <c>L</c>ORD L<c>ord</c> L</c>ORD</c>

copy and paste this.

And then you'll see how this is displayed in Accordance and why you have your output.

Greetings

Fabian

The "ORD" is not the same height as normal capital letters. This is often achieved by having a different font to produce the ORD. The most likely answer to your question is the font information is not coming across when you copy/paste, or, you don't have the font required.

Thank you for your input. The "problem" is obviously with Accordance since the result is the same with multiple word processors and the other Bible software I have copies it correctly.

The Small Caps style is commonly used for the last three letters of LORD. It's a style; the actual characters are lowercase but with this style they look like uppercase. It usually (in Accordance anyway) is not a smaller size uppercase nor a different font. The Small Caps is often not supported by the clipboard, and may not be supported in all fonts anyway. This is why it often gets replaced by plain lowercase, but I think Accordance may sometimes compensate by switching it to uppercase.

Helen, thank you for the explanation. It is not a "deal breaker", I just wanted to know what was happening. Thanks again for the explanation.