Settings for New Timeline Tabs: Conservative vs Critical?

Enoch

In preferences Accordance has a pane "Settings for New Timeline Tabs" with a dates choice of Conservative vs Critical.  Perhaps Accordance might find more accurate choice labels:  Conservative is not an opposing pole to Critical.  You might have Liberal vs Critical.  But the most accurate choices I can think of would be 1) Biblicist vs 2) Humanist.  As it now stands the inaccurate implication is that conservative dates are not critical dates, the product of careful examination.  Another possibility might be "compact dating" vs "expansive dating."  Would it be better to find words which do not focus on the persons who make the dates, but the resulting dates themselves?

Excellent points, Enoch. Such labels are often charged with the presumptions of their creator. For some "conservative" is a badge of honor and "critical" anathema. For others it is the reverse. But the terms are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

OK I found a do-it-yourself solution, I suspect it will not stay that way next time there is an update.

(No Photoshop involved: I edited the application data strings to get this)

post-101-0-91115000-1505463253_thumb.png

post-101-0-29123000-1505463262_thumb.png

Edited by Alistair
  • Like 3

As discussed in the link Fraser provided above (see especially David Lang's post in that discussion), there's no perfect solution without offending someone. The designations were given close scrutiny and internal debate even before the initial version of the timeline was released years ago. We know they're not ideal, but they are better than many alternatives. 

• Like 1

OK I found a do-it-yourself solution, I suspect it will not stay that way next time there is an update.

(No Photoshop involved: I edited the application data strings to get this)

This made my day. Hilarious.