Carta Sacred Bridge

A. Smith

For those who've used both, do you recommend the print or accordance version of the Sacred Bridge. I've seen advantages to both and am having a difficult time deciding. TIA

The layout of the book is impressive; it's quite a feat of publishing. For that alone, it's fun to at least see if you can flip through a copy.

You gain quite a bit of utility by having it in Accordance (even if the aesthetic is different from print book)--ability to search by word, Scripture reference, Greek and Hebrew content, and other search fields... more than what typical indexes can do, and much faster. Being able to save individual maps as your own .jpg files is also really nice.

I guess it depends on for what you are using it? If it's ongoing research, and you want to be able to access it wherever you are (multiple devices, say), and if you're really digging into the content and trying to quickly get at it, I'd do it in Accordance, for sure. But it's a pretty good coffee table book and conversation starter, too! If you are going to read it straight through in several sittings and don't necessarily have research-specific goals for it, it's a pretty sweet (if large) book to own in print.

A few years ago I wrote a review of TSB here, which includes mention of both print and Accordance editions, if you want to read more.

• Like 1

I have read your reviews. I was hoping you'd chime in and I appreciate your input. I've got a feeling that, much like BDAG and others, I'll end up getting both. Oh the constraints of budget! I was hoping one or the other would be a definitive must-have!

• Like 1

Yes, I'd put it on the level of BDAG in terms of utility, although I see it being more useful in academic contexts than pastoral ones, for what that's worth (having been in both settings). I agree that it's one of those few books where there's value owning it both in print and electronically... which is of course costly, especially for this book.

Don't forget there is the concise version of TSB, too, both in print and in Accordance.

I have been mulling this over in my mind: how much ancient geography do I need?

Well, I decided I don't need any more than I already have, the best of which are the Macmillan Bible atlas (3e) print edition and the Oxford Bible Atlas.

I do not know these Carta products, but others here rate them very highly.

The Carta atlases are absolutely top-notch. I own a few of them and have used TSB in print from the library. I was just in Israel for the past few weeks and they actually sell carta atlases, including the big one, at a few of the souvenir shops we stopped at. I couldn't believe seeing such a large and important atlas as a souvenir! Price wasn't bad, either. I kind of wished I would've picked one up.

I have found atlases to be like commentaries. It is useful to own a decent variety because they each cover and focus on different things.

• Like 1

More bad news, sacred bridge was on offer a few weeks ago on accordance!

I am trying to stop buying hard copies, i am finding it easier to read on the iPad these days (physical size and type size) plus i have my library with me wherever i am. It also means my daughters have less stuff to get rid of when i pop my cloggs.

I tend to get hard copies of books only if:

they are unlikely to get on accordance (svs publications),

or my wife and i are likely to share them or lend them out to others,

they are special (leather bound common worship and times and seasons) but then, i also have them electronically as well,

i need them before they are in accordance (jps study bible and jewish annotated new testament and my go to holman bible atlas by briscoe).

Having recently seen a hard copy the atlas of european reformation, i prefer it in accordance as many of the hard copy maps cross the binding making them difficult to read.

We are all different but deciding what is you main driver for getting it may help in determining what formats you require.

Edited by ukfraser

I buy hard copies if I see them as absolutely critical... That said I have my New Interpreter's family in print as well as ISBE and most translations of the Bible I use. As well as many smaller works like the little one volume kittle and TWOT, along with my NIV AMG word study Bible. I do not see myself buying many more hard copy works but like fraser if a work appears not destined for the computer I do consider it. Indeed at one time i had many more Hard copies of various commentaries... but i got ride of most of them because they never were being used I fear in the back of my mind that day some EMP or something kills off all computers but should that happen I know my core of library books offers me enough to feed my soul. And in the end being wheel chair bound in some post apocalyptic world i am content enough to be with Jesus... Although God's will be done I still hope it is a fate I do not have to go through...

-dan

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

A few years ago I wrote a review of TSB here, which includes mention of both print and Accordance editions, if you want to read more.

I just skimmed this review as I am considering Carta's Sacred Bridge right now.  Have you considered posting this review on Accordance' website?

Anyway, thanks for writing it.  Very helpful.

Edited by TYA

A few years ago I wrote a review of TSB here, which includes mention of both print and Accordance editions, if you want to read more.

Hi Abram,

As you made a specific point in your review about the typesetting of this book, I posted the following comment on your website:

Your comment on the typesetting is perceptive, however there are other tricks up the typesetter's sleeve other than changing the font colour. In that respect (at the risk of sounding churlish) I might say the page design lacks imagination. It's very efficient, though. It is a very dense page with no "white space", it appears intimidating. I cannot comment on content but just wanted to chip in with my opinion as a (semi-retired) professional typesetter of books and educational/training material. I've never seen this book and I only have the page you scanned to go on, so I don't know if that is representative of the rest of the book. Best wishes!

FWIW :)

Thanks, Alistair. I've replied in the same place, and am willing to make revision to my original assessment! (It does, indeed, lack some white space which could make it more readable in print.)