#21 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Mithril

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,819 posts
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, Android

Posted 21 March 2018 - 08:49 AM

Brian Davidson's review of this, noted on the product page in his review, is worth a look, particularly for how the browser links to the INTF work for the witnesses. Thanx Brian.

This looks like a really nicely put together module, though I've had little time with it yet. Definitely shows potential for combined local and remote resources using the browser.

Many thanx.

Thx

D

• R. Mansfield, Julia Falling and Brian.Mann like this
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua
ἡ μόνη ἀγαθὴ γλῶσσα γλῶσσα νεκρὰ ἐστιν
lišanu ēdēnitu damqitu lišanu mītu

"Du stammst vom Herrn Adam und der Herrin Eva ab", sagte Aslan. "Und das ist zugleich Ehre genug, um das Häupt des ärmsten Bettlers zu erheben, und genug, um die Schultern des größten Kaisers auf Erden zu beugen. Sei zufrieden." Aslan, Die Chroniken von Narnia, Prinz Kaspian von Narnia. CS Lewis. Übersetzt von Wolfgang Holbein und Christian Rendel.

Accordance Syntax Search For Wallace's Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics : https://github.com/4...WallaceInSyntax

Accordance Configurations :

Mac : 2009 27" iMac
12GB RAM

Windows : MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro laptop
Intel Core Duo Intel i7 Kabylake

Android : Samsung Note III 5.0, Samsung Tab S3 7.0 and Lenovo TAB4 8" 7.1

#22 Julia Falling

Julia Falling

Mithril

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,462 posts
  • Interests:Numerous!
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 21 March 2018 - 10:33 AM

I purchased yesterday.  Beautifully executed by Accordance.  Thank you!

I found Brian Davidson's review helpful, also.

I think we have all observed that a translation committee may not be happy with a textual choice made by the NA27th/28th committee.  I must admit that I'm not thrilled with the textual emendation @ 2Pet 3:10.  I actually thought that the ESV did a pretty good job translating the NA27th at this point (and I am not an ESV fan).  I question the choice made by the NA28th committee and am happy to see that the THGNT stayed with the NA27th reading.  The addition of οὐχ has no support in any Gk mss found to date.  Granted, this verse, and how the scholars think it should read, has been debated for centuries.  Some decision must be made by the editors.  But why go with something that has never been seen in any Gk manuscript?  I don't get it.  But then, I'm not a scholar.

Edited by Julia Falling, 21 March 2018 - 10:34 AM.

• R. Mansfield likes this
Julia Falling

13" MacBook Pro High Sierra Acc 12
mid-2017 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7 (2 cores)
16 GB RAM; 512 GB SSD

iPad Pro iOS 11
128 GB
iAccord 2.7

iPhone 8 iOS 11
64 GB
iAccord 2.7

Used for backup only:
Mac mini High Sierra Acc 12
late-2012 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 (4 cores)
16 GB RAM; 1.12 TB Fusion Drive

#23 Brian.Mann

Brian.Mann

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X

Posted 21 March 2018 - 11:23 AM

Just bought mine! The above review by Brian Davidson was extremely helpful. Thank you! And thank you Accordance for making this available!

• R. Mansfield likes this

Brian J. Mann, MTS

Pastor of Catherine Lake Baptist Church

NRBA Ministers' Conference President

www.becauseHeLovedYou.com

[email protected]

#24 Solly

Solly

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Far too many for my own good! ;-)
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted 21 March 2018 - 12:01 PM

Brian Davidson's review of this, noted on the product page in his review, is worth a look, particularly for how the browser links to the INTF work for the witnesses. Thanx Brian.

This looks like a really nicely put together module, though I've had little time with it yet. Definitely shows potential for combined local and remote resources using the browser.

Many thanx.

Thx

D

The combined local and remote resource interaction was alone, for me, worth the cost of the product. I am really spoiled by the click, click way of getting to resources and the Accordance THGNT implementation  really shines in this area. I do wonder if this product provided some of the motivation to provide an inline tool browser. What a wonderful combination, and a showcase for what is possible in the future.

Thanks Accordance,

Joseph

Joseph F Sollenberger, Jr

#25 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Mithril

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,819 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, Android

Posted 21 March 2018 - 01:44 PM

I did have problems bringing up the papyri images in the Accordance browser exactly as you do in an external browser but opening a new tab with another session worked fine. Just double clicking on the images didn't actually work inside the Acc browser for me.

Thx

D

Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua
ἡ μόνη ἀγαθὴ γλῶσσα γλῶσσα νεκρὰ ἐστιν
lišanu ēdēnitu damqitu lišanu mītu

"Du stammst vom Herrn Adam und der Herrin Eva ab", sagte Aslan. "Und das ist zugleich Ehre genug, um das Häupt des ärmsten Bettlers zu erheben, und genug, um die Schultern des größten Kaisers auf Erden zu beugen. Sei zufrieden." Aslan, Die Chroniken von Narnia, Prinz Kaspian von Narnia. CS Lewis. Übersetzt von Wolfgang Holbein und Christian Rendel.

Accordance Syntax Search For Wallace's Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics : https://github.com/4...WallaceInSyntax

Accordance Configurations :

Mac : 2009 27" iMac
12GB RAM

Windows : MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro laptop
Intel Core Duo Intel i7 Kabylake

Android : Samsung Note III 5.0, Samsung Tab S3 7.0 and Lenovo TAB4 8" 7.1

#26 Alistair

Alistair

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 03:47 PM

I have been following this thread and the THGNT with some interest having been at the Bible seminars with Peter and Dirk in London some time ago.

My comment here is that I think an opportunity has been missed to revisit the actual typeface used for the Greek text. Poking about the innards of the sample PDF would indicate they have used EzraSIL (I may be wrong). Their website actually says "The font is beautiful". What? No, it isn't.

It's purely subjective personal opinion (I have been a professional graphic designer and typesetter and still do the odd job for charity) but visually the text looks very samey in comparison to any other modern Greek Text.

It's not that I'm expecting something similar to that used for the Complutensian Polyglott, but… it's not beautiful.

Just saying, that's all.

Edited by Alistair, 21 March 2018 - 04:06 PM.

#27 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Emerald

• Admin
  • 11,271 posts
  • Twitter:accordancebible
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS, Android

Posted 21 March 2018 - 04:32 PM

Sorry, but all our Greek texts use only our own font, and it would be a major project to convert them to other fonts or to Unicode to give you a choice. The latter will come eventually, and is of course available for export of the text.

Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#28 Brian W. Davidson

Brian W. Davidson

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 05:32 PM

Glad the review was helpful! Yes, with the internal web browser I had to get to the images a different way. Double clicking the pics didn’t work. Instead of going to the pages tab of the NT Virtual Manuscript Room, I just scrolled down on the tab I was initially taken to and clicked the link there.
  • jarcher likes this

#29 Alistair

Alistair

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 05:52 PM

Sorry, but all our Greek texts use only our own font, and it would be a major project to convert them to other fonts or to Unicode to give you a choice. The latter will come eventually, and is of course available for export of the text.

I haven't purchased the Accordance module of this text so my comment was not about the Accordance font.

My comment was about the typeface used in the printed paper version of the THGNT as evidenced by the sample PDF available from their website, and in pictures etc.

#30 Alistair

Alistair

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 06:30 PM

As the THGNT takes inspiration from the work of S. P. Tregelles, it might be of interest to folk to read Tregelle's own account: 

An account of the printed text of the Greek New Testament ; with remarks on its revision upon critical principles.
Together with a collation of the critical texts of Griesbach, Scholz, Lachmann, and Tischendorf, with that in common use.
Samuel Prideaux Tregelles, LL.D.

https://archive.org/...9739200treguoftand there are other copies on the same website. Enjoy!

• Solly likes this

#31 ukfraser

ukfraser

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts
  • Accordance Version:2.x

Posted 21 March 2018 - 06:33 PM

My comment was about the typeface used in the printed paper version...

Unfortunately there are many who consider arial to be beautiful! And the ms word legacy makes everyone an expert in dtp!

;o(
Fraser Sims
Accordance 2x iOS 11x on iPad pro and iOS 9 on iPhone 4s, occasionally accordance 12x on Mountain Lion on a reliable '08 mbp.
Other life enhancing software I use includes: forScore with AirTurn page turner for leading all aspects of a service from my iPad including liturgy, sermon and the congregational singing; HymnQuest for developing my selection of appropriate music for the service; Sibelius for preparing the music scores; Lightroom for my photo library!

#32 Alistair

Alistair

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 07:00 PM

Unfortunately there are many who consider arial to be beautiful! And the ms word legacy makes everyone an expert in dtp!

;o(

It will be in Comic Sans next, heralded by groans from one side and cries from the other of "What's wrong with Comic Sans? I like Comic Sans!"

#33 Alistair

Alistair

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 07:05 PM

BTW after further hacking of the PDF I think the font used is AdobeTextPro, see https://typekit.com/fonts/adobe-text.

I don't think anyone could accuse designer Robert Slimbach of being a typographic lightweight! 

But when I look at the THGNT text, it looks like a monospaced font (which it isn't), and I have issues with the kerning in several places.

I prefer the Accordance font, though I understand why users might want to change that to another of their choice.

'Nuff said.

#34 Michel Gilbert

Michel Gilbert

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Interests:heritage homes, antiques, gardens, fresh food, good coffee, live music, ויין אשר ישמח לבב אנוש (Ps 104,15)
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS, Android

Posted 21 March 2018 - 07:56 PM

. . .the sample PDF would indicate they have used EzraSIL (I may be wrong) . . .

FWIW, Ezra SIL is a Hebrew font. Did you mean Galatia SIL, the Greek counterpart? The THGNT font looks almost identical to it except in a few places. Many prefer it, others politely say it is a "readable Greek font."

Accordance 12.2.7 & 2.6.4

Mac mini, High Sierra, 10.13.5
    iPad mini, 11.4

Android, 1.1.4 (9900)

Huawei, Android 6.0.1

#35 Graham Buck

Graham Buck

Gold

• Accordance
  • 238 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 10:48 PM

I agree with Alistair that the font in the print edition is Adobe Text Pro. Interestingly enough, the online edition uses Gentium Plus. Not sure about that call, probably made by some developer… (you can't trust those guys).

That being said, my personal preference is for Baskerville for any Latin alphabet text (so, so tasty) and our Accordance fonts for others. I'm not a fan of hard angles on combining marks, so that's kind of a deal breaker for me. In addition, though I understand the portability of unicode, I fall back on the ascii fonts all the time because of the granularity I have in properly aligning the marks. I've yet to find a system, outside of LaTeX which in almost any case gets it right without me adjusting things.

Anyway, this was a fun project, I'm glad you all appreciate it so much.

• Alistair and JonathanHuber like this
Graham Buck
Content Development [Ninja]
OakTree Software

#36 Alistair

Alistair

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 03:54 AM

FWIW, Ezra SIL is a Hebrew font. Did you mean Galatia SIL, the Greek counterpart? The THGNT font looks almost identical to it except in a few places. Many prefer it, others politely say it is a "readable Greek font."

Quite right, I was typing faster than I was thinking.

Acrobat Pro listed the fonts which including EzraSIL so I thought that must be it, yes? No.

Maybe it was just used for Codex Aleph in the apparatus.

Anyway, thanks Michel for pointing out my mistake!

#37 Alistair

Alistair

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 03:58 AM

I agree with Alistair that the font in the print edition is Adobe Text Pro. Interestingly enough, the online edition uses Gentium Plus. Not sure about that call, probably made by some developer… (you can't trust those guys).

That being said, my personal preference is for Baskerville for any Latin alphabet text (so, so tasty) and our Accordance fonts for others. I'm not a fan of hard angles on combining marks, so that's kind of a deal breaker for me. In addition, though I understand the portability of unicode, I fall back on the ascii fonts all the time because of the granularity I have in properly aligning the marks. I've yet to find a system, outside of LaTeX which in almost any case gets it right without me adjusting things.

Anyway, this was a fun project, I'm glad you all appreciate it so much.

In my professional work I prefer to use a typeface that includes a light and a semibold font, not just Roman and Bold. 

IMHO, if people are talking about the fonts, the designer has failed in this regard.

The best typeface is the one you don't notice.

#38 ukfraser

ukfraser

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts
  • Accordance Version:2.x

Posted 22 March 2018 - 04:34 AM

The best typeface is the one you don't notice.

We are going off topic but not sure I agree 100%
Church of England has standardised on gill sans and every time I open up my common worship I am delighted, visually by the layout, but also by the smell and feel of the leather and then by saying the words leading the congregation. Like tasting fine wine. Times and seasons nearly as much but unfortunately it’sonly available in cloth bound. But I think you do notice good typography and layout because it jumps out because so much is mediocre to poor these days.

But I appreciate what you are saying for most cases and it really jarred when a dtp student of mine deliberately tried to wind me up by handing in a piece of work in a funny courier with off set base using white font on black in a barely readable point size.
  • Alistair likes this
Fraser Sims
Accordance 2x iOS 11x on iPad pro and iOS 9 on iPhone 4s, occasionally accordance 12x on Mountain Lion on a reliable '08 mbp.
Other life enhancing software I use includes: forScore with AirTurn page turner for leading all aspects of a service from my iPad including liturgy, sermon and the congregational singing; HymnQuest for developing my selection of appropriate music for the service; Sibelius for preparing the music scores; Lightroom for my photo library!

#39 Alistair

Alistair

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 04:21 AM

A couple of videos on Bible fonts if anyone is interested:

https://www.youtube....h?v=5ipLK60_lq4

https://www.youtube....h?v=_KLLOmOePFQ