Word Count Analysis

jarcher

I feel like I've asked this question before and have simply forgot the answer or how to address it. The joys of getting older....

When using the word analysis table I'm wonder if there is a way to combine words that are only different for capitalization and accents so that they aren't listed as a separate form?

Thanks!

In your analysis tab goto the gear wheel icon and select Set Pane Display ... or use cmd/ctrl-T. You can then customize the display. I think you just want LEX in the first column. I assume you have INFLECTED at present. Does that get what you need ?

Thx

D

If i search for κατα I get 477 hits including the upper case ΚΑΤΑ from each of the gospels, if I just count by LEX. To break it out to see various inflected forms then I see the uppercase counted separately. Same with εν which has examples of mixed case in one word.

Thx

D

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting an old thread...

I'm trying to develop a vocabulary frequency list based on inflected forms. Why? E.g.,memorizing εἰμι = "I am" is really of help only 139x in the GNT, since my students won't recognize any of the other forms. I don't need them memorizing paradigms either. I want my students to memorize the most frequently occurring forms first: ἐστί(ν) (897x) and ἦν (413x).

Now I had to get those numbers from BibleWorks using their Word List manager, because it does allow me to ignore, if I choose, accenting and capitalization.

I don't see an easy way of getting this kind of vocab frequency list in Accordance.

The closest I'm getting is doing a "*" search. Analysis and then customize to just show Inflected, and then scroll through the list trying to find the various accented and capitalized versions of the word. (I can group the words by using alphabetical sort and add together the forms, but that's not so helpful when what I want is a "count down" sort.)

So, this is either a request for help if I'm missing something or a request to add this capability to Accordance.

Thanks!

I think you are correct that this is not currently possible. The search can be set to ignore accents and capitalization (as you did), but the Analytics can not.