Search in Charlesworth 1 Enoch is missing 1 Enoch 26:1-2

sgreen

Hello

I am trying to do some searching in Charlesworth 1 Enoch, but 1 En. 26:1-2 does not turn up even if it should.

Examples of searches that misses 1 En. 26:1-2,

blessed <WITHIN 30 words> mountain [RANGE 1 Enoch]

place <WITHIN 30 words> mountain [RANGE 1 Enoch]

holy <WITHIN 30 words> place [RANGE 1 Enoch]

but the following works,

holy <WITHIN 30 words> mountain [RANGE 1 Enoch]

blessed <WITHIN 30 words> place [RANGE 1 Enoch]

Any solution? Something faulty with the strings above, or is the tagging of the text in this case faulty?

I am no pseudepigrapha scholar, but it looks like Accordance Charlesworth does not have 1 Enoch called that.

It has Enoch and 2 Enoch.

post-29509-0-17939300-1505996861_thumb.png

So I would assume that Enoch is equivalent to 1 Enoch, and it certainly has ch 26.

The first search works when the 1 Enoch is changed to Enoch and the scope is changed to chapter. (as do the other two)

post-29509-0-65836400-1505996871_thumb.png

Edited by Ken Simpson
  • Like 1

Thank you!

I will test your solution later today, but in my Accordance Charlesworth 1 Enoch is called "1 Enoch".

Ken, I believe you're looking at the older Pseudepigrapha translation by Charles as opposed to the newer one by Charlesworth. If only these Pseudepigrapha scholars would have more distinct names!

Stefan, Ken's suggestion to change the scope, however, is correct. By default, Accordance searches by verse. In 1 En 26:1-2, blessed is in v. 1, but mountain is in v. 2. 

Add an additional search condition by clicking the + symbol at the end of the search field. Then change the scope to paragraph or chapter. That will give you the results you want.

Screen%20Shot%202017-09-21%20at%2010.44.

• Like 1

You are of course right Rick, but you know I was sure I had chosen CW, not Charles. It’s no great surprise that I would make such a mistake, but nonethless as you say it is confusing.

Sorry for the bum steer Stefan.

• Like 1

You are of course right Rick, but you know I was sure I had chosen CW, not Charles. It’s no great surprise that I would make such a mistake, but nonethless as you say it is confusing.

Sorry for the bum steer Stefan.

No problem Ken, I am grateful for your's and Rick's help. I still have plenty to learn about Accordance and it is exciting.