AA - Accordance for Android

Michel Gilbert

Hi,

Rick (M) said today, "the Android version really is coming." Does Accordance intend to unveil a public beta version during the SBL meetings in November?

Thanks,

Michel

We really need a greater range of emojis in the forums !

Just imagine a round green guy modelled on the Android robot with a big grin and ears pricked up listening ...

Thx

D

• Like 1

Are these the Droids you have been looking for???

6057562809_337bf27da9_b.jpg

• Like 5

Looking forward to it!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

And here is a nice device to run it on - https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/10/17/16486484/zte-axon-m-dual-screen-phone-announcement-hands-on

Not that I have one but running dual screen Acc on a phone sounds very cool indeed. Particularly if Android splt screen is supported for different workspaces.

Thx

D

• Like 3

While we wait for Accordance for Android, let me ask some of you who might know this better than me (even though I've been looking into it quite a bit for a while and have even made purchases I later regretted)--what is the best Android tablet on the market these days in your opinion?

Android tablet best 2017 I am not sure if anyone has anything to say about any of these????

-dan

Kindle's look like a good deal for the price. One thing against the Kindle is the lack of Google Play Store. It can be installed without much pain separately apparently. But it begs the question about how the installation of the Accordance app will be handled for Android. The obvious thing would be to release through the Play Store but a side loadable version might be handy. Or perhaps offering in multiple stores - Amazon and Google.

Not my target platform though really - I want it for my phone but I am not a tablet devotee at all I'm afraid. Maybe that will change when I get Acc and figure out some ecosystem stuff. But I haven't spent any real time on that.

Thx

D

Hi Rick,

In my opinion, the absolute best is the Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, with pen included, 4 GB RAM, 32 GB memory expandable to 256 GB. I never had trouble with my old Galaxy tablet, or with Samsung phones, nor has my wife or any of our friends. When my iPad dies, it will be a difficult decision - an iPad Pro, or go back to a Galaxy Tablet. It will depend on my workflow at that time.

Regards,

Michel

Good to hear - I have an old Galaxy Tab 3 which I'm waiting on a replacement battery for but we've been pleased with it too. And like you Samsung phones have been good for us.

Thx

D

Kindle's look like a good deal for the price. One thing against the Kindle is the lack of Google Play Store. It can be installed without much pain separately apparently. But it begs the question about how the installation of the Accordance app will be handled for Android. The obvious thing would be to release through the Play Store but a side loadable version might be handy. Or perhaps offering in multiple stores - Amazon and Google.

Yes, the app can obviously be in more than one store. I have a Kindle Fire HD 8, which I believe would make a great “reader” device when the Android app is released. I was disappointed to discover recently, though, that Amazon has disabled any kind of screen mirroring by wifi or HDMI cable in the newest devices (presumably because most people just want to mirror the screen to watch movies on their TV, and Amazon wants you to buy a Firestick). That means that I still have to get another device to run demos or create videos.

I was disappointed to discover recently, though, that Amazon has disabled any kind of screen mirroring by wifi or HDMI cable in the newest devices (presumably because most people just want to mirror the screen to watch movies on their TV, and Amazon wants you to buy a Firestick). That means that I still have to get another device to run demos or create videos.

That's annoying - didn't realize that.

In my opinion, the absolute best is the Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, with pen included, 4 GB RAM, 32 GB memory expandable to 256 GB. I never had trouble with my old Galaxy tablet, or with Samsung phones, nor has my wife or any of our friends. When my iPad dies, it will be a difficult decision - an iPad Pro, or go back to a Galaxy Tablet. It will depend on my workflow at that time.

That’s the one I’ve about decided on. While there are plenty of really good Android phones to choose from (although I’m sticking with my iPhone), there’s not a lot of choice for more “powerful” Android tablets, especially ones that can be upgraded to the newest OS release. I wish that Google would update their Pixel C so that I could weigh it against the Samsung S3, but they haven’t updated it in two years.

Hi again,

I know you asked about a tablet, but an intriguing development is Samsung bringing Linux to their top end phones, with an optional dock for screen, mouse, and keyboard. See https://www.androidauthority.com/linux-on-galaxy-dex-808480/

I'm waiting to see how this all pans out. The Construct Search works tolerably well on Linux, so could you imagine Acc for Android, and the full version of Acc on a phone?

Regards,

Michel

I know you asked about a tablet, but an intriguing development is Samsung bringing Linux to their top end phones, with an optional dock for screen, mouse, and keyboard. See https://www.androidauthority.com/linux-on-galaxy-dex-808480/

I'm waiting to see how this all pans out. The Construct Search works tolerably well on Linux, so could you imagine Acc for Android, and the full version of Acc on a phone?

Yes, I've been following Dex as it develops. Very intriguing idea. Microsoft had something similar these past two years with their phones, but it's dead-ended for now. 

If I understand it correctly, access to the full desktop features of an app wouldn't work until it's connected to the peripheral devices. But it would be nice to just carry one device and have access to just about everything.

• Like 1

When Accordance for Android is released, I will be running it on my Galaxy Note 5 phone. (I'm counting on it lasting another year or so before I will need to upgrade to the Note 8.) It's not a tablet, but it is a big, beautiful screen, and using the stylus should make it usable for navigating.

I don't know if this matters to any users and you probably have your hands full with just getting the Android rel done but a question nonetheless. Will this be able to run on Chrome OS ? I know almost nothing about the OS but I understand efforts have been made to make it possible for Chrome OS to run Android apps.

The new https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/26/16550908/google-pixelbook-review-chromebook-android-laptoplooks like it has more than adequate oomph to run Acc.

EDIT: ooops - just got to the part of the verge article that says Android apps run really well on it. Apparently they are just getting out of AonC beta with this machine and apparently it works.

Thx

D

Edited by דָנִיאֶל

Will this be able to run on Chrome OS ?

Presumably, yes. This will be our Chromebook solution for Accordance.

I don't currently have a Chromebook (sold my last one to Mark Allison some time back!), but I have successfully installed our internal beta of the Android version of Accordance in the Chrome browser on my Mac. 

That's a cute trick - didn't realize you could do that. So you're running Acc on Android inside Chrome on top of OSX - you're just missing a VM layer :) But cool it works.

I read further in that article and there are a number of things that need to be fixed up in AonC that would no doubt be an irritation for use of Android applications. And then there's the whole OL support in Chrome OS itself for more serious work.

Thx

D

By the way, I settled on the Samsung Galaxy Tab S3. It will be good for demos and videos because I'll be able to share the screen. I discovered that Best Buy has an exclusive 128 GB version of the tablet, and they had an open box model available, so I ordered that. It should arrive today.

I still think Amazon's Fire tablet makes a really nice inexpensive reader and will hold on to mine. The 8" version is very similar in size to the iPad Mini (perfect for reading books), which Apple seems to have abandoned. 

And here is a nice device to run it on - https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/10/17/16486484/zte-axon-m-dual-screen-phone-announcement-hands-on

Not that I have one but running dual screen Acc on a phone sounds very cool indeed. Particularly if Android splt screen is supported for different workspaces.

Thx

D

With two screens I hope the battery lasts long.

I look forward to the release of the android version, even a beta version would be great. The most frequently (if not the only) thing I do on the phone version is to read the biblical texts. So I don't mind a version with limited functions (better than waiting, waiting, and waiting). I just want it to be available asap~ :D

Hi Martin,

From our perspective, we are waiting and waiting. From Accordance’s, they are going to release it asap. I’m guessing that Rick bought his Galaxy S3 to demonstrate the beta version at SBL in Nov. Or, shortly thereafter.

Regards,

Michel