NIVAC / ZEC SALE CHERRY-PICKING!

TCanji

Before this excellent sale expires, would you (previous and proud new owners of respected commentaries) kindly indicate the following:

If you would need to cherry-pick individual volumes from NIVAC OT/NT which volume would your pick and label as your #1 from the bunch (and why in a sentence or two). The same goes for ZEC OT/NT. Buying a whole set is often a very mixed bag. True, some very good ideas could be found online, but as always, “we” (read Accord. users) greatly value the feedback from our own  :) .

If you have the time and energy, do chime in … your input will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

I recently preached through Ephesians. Clinton Arnold's volume from the ZECNT was invaluable to the process.

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your reply.

I’m sure Arnold is very beneficial and has a lot to say (especially regarding magic and the spirit world), however I already have Hoehner and O’Brien so I’m not sure that gleaning from Arnold will be a game changer. If you have the other two authors as well please do share a brief comparison of those 3 excellent theologians i.e. their commentary on Ephesians. 

The ZECOT Jonah volume might be (in my opinion) the best commentary on Jonah--no small feat as there are many, and it's just under $12. Lots of attention to larger biblical context and other prophets--good blend of exegetical depth, theological insight, historical background, and practical application. I own it in print but purchased it in Accordance anyway (with the other ZECOT volumes).

Abram,

Thanks for the heads up on Jonah, appreciate it. 

In another online review - to my surprise - I read that ZECOT hard copy only have transliterated text (except Ruth). Supposedly the electronic version does have hebrew and not a transliteration. Would you please confirm that Accordance module of Jonah does have the original text and not a transliteration. Thanks!

Any 2 cents for NIVAC?

The Jonah volume in ZECOT has lots of transliteration in Accorance, although ZECOT in general has both “Hebrew Content” (Hebrew characters) and “Transliteration” search fields. Not clear on why it’s not fully one way or the other. I recall reading in the series intro to the OT volumes that the print volumes would be transliteration, but that that would be updated for any electronic editions to Hebrew characters. Not sure why that hasn’t been fully the case—maybe future ZECOT updates will include this?

The editorial decision by the publisher to transliterate at all struck me as odd, since ZECNT (which preceded the OT volumes) has used Greek characters.

Here it is, from the ZECOT series intro (from Obadiah, when it was still called *Hearing the Message of Scripture*): “electronic versions of this commentary series will also include the Hebrew font.”

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your reply.

I’m sure Arnold is very beneficial and has a lot to say (especially regarding magic and the spirit world), however I already have Hoehner and O’Brien so I’m not sure that gleaning from Arnold will be a game changer. If you have the other two authors as well please do share a brief comparison of those 3 excellent theologians i.e. their commentary on Ephesians. 

Tomi,

I did purchase Hoehner as well. His commentary was beneficial , but to be honest at times overwhelming. there were a couple weeks where I was unfortunately short on time and unable to process Hoehner thoroughly. When I did have the time to process it, it provided some invaluable insights. There were some times I disagreed with him theologically, but I do not regret any of the time I spent wrestling with his commentary.

I also have O'Brian (Pillar NT) and found him helpful as well, though perhaps less so than Hoehner and Arnold. Of course that could be because I typically read O'Brian last.

Hope this helps.

@ Abram - thanks for your feedback and added clarification.

@ Tim - thank you for the comparison between the commentaries, appreciate it.

Thank you both for your time!

• Like 1