Search Help - Lord and YHWH

jarcher

I'm having issues thinking through a search. Hoping someone else can help.

My ultimate goal is to find all instances in the Gk. NT where κυριος ("Lord") is used in a citation or allusion to the LXX OT but only when the LXX uses κυριος ("LORD") to translate יהוה (YHWH).

Edited by jarcher

My guess is this will be multi-step and will involve some non-Accordance processing of the data.

My first thought was some sort of MT-LXX search to get the κυριος/יהוה data. You will also need a cross-reference tool of some kind to get NT allusions to the OT. Alas those don't have the text inline making it tricky to validate the use of κυριος directly. You would need some sort of export of data into some other tool to then match them up.

I took a quick shot at it. I took the GNT OT Cross References module and selected all the refs in John. That gave me a manageable number of refs. I copied those out to an editor and removed the Jn refs and kept the OT refs. I then used those to restrict the OT LXX search for κυριος in a workspace I have setup to do MERGE operations on the MT-LXX parallel. The other side of that workspace has the Hebrew search and I had it search for יהוה. That led to 7 hit verses.

Is. 40:3
יהוה    κυρίου
Is. 53:1
‏יהוה    κυρίου
Psa. 6:4
‏יהוה    κύριε
Psa. 6:5
‏יהוה    κύριε
Psa. 23:6
יהוה    κυρίου [22.6]18
Psa. 26:12
יהוה    κύριε [25.12]18

Psa. 70:6
יהוה    κύριε [69.6]18

Now that leaves open the question as to the exact nature of the cross-reference. Is it the type you are looking for ? I don't know.

A couple of observations. For a very small number of hits this is relatively easy to do. For a large number this is impractical as Acc will prevent you copying out large numbers of verse refs (more than 1000). In addition while there are a number of cross-ref sets available in Acc I am not sure if any quite identify the sort of cross reference you are looking for. Finally you need the MT-LXX Parallel db.

Thx

D

• Like 1

Since you cannot search the text of the Parallel databases, the best I can suggest is a search for κυριος in both the GNT and LXX in separate tabs, then a third tab with the NA28-T and this argument to find any inferences from the OT where both texts include that word in the verse, but the inference itself does not necessarily do so.

[iNFER 6 LXX Rahlfs Tagged] [CONTENTS NA28 Greek NT]

I limited the LXX to the Pentateuch to speed the search, and got 90 NT verses which would need to be checked to see whether it was an inference including κυριος.

I did not include a check to see the Hebrew equivalent, that would need the MT-LXX Parallel.

• Like 1

Thank you both so much for the help! Both of these recommendations are helpful!