Headings in Bible text

rmeischke

I would like to request that a future trans-platform update allow the option of including the subject headings that were added by the translators. These headings have been a feature of virtually every printed version of the Bible for many, many years and it is disappointing and frustrating to use Accordance without even the option of accessing them.

I have a number of reasons for supporting this option.

- Finding things easily. One of the advantages of paper is having a memory of where something sits on a page. It helps for recalling verses and finding them quickly. A scrolling document does not offer such visual landmarks, which makes it difficult to flick through a book to locate something that you know is on the next few pages. Search options are cumbersome, demanding departure from the passage, typing correctly, wading through multiple options and being unable to return easily to the passage I was looking at. The headings make the scrolling easier, like flicking through real pages.

- Familiarity. The breaks and subject headings in translations, while generally similar, are unique to each version and allow a sense of connection and familiarity, even when reading different printings. Including them in the digital version would acknowledge that this is valuable to readers.

- Study aid. Each heading is a note of commentary from the translators, giving a brief indication of subject matter and context, which is often helpful for Bible study, especially when looking at wider context.

- Fellowship. When reading in a group setting, especially when some are using paper, it is helpful to see what they are seeing.

- Respect. Including the headings shows respect to the scholars who prayerfully put them in place. While it is true that Scripture is God's, the work of the translators is significant and should not be dismissed lightly.

Having raised this question with Accordance in the past, I understand and appreciate that the reason for this omission is because these headings are not part of the original text. However, that reasoning doesn’t make a lot of sense and it is disrespectful to the readers and the translation teams. As I mentioned, we readers have used versions with such headings for many years with the ability to discern that they were helpful tools, rather than part of the original text. As far as I know, I can’t think of any major heresies or theological transgressions that have arisen because of them. To refuse us the option is to treat us as if we are no longer capable of the discernment we’ve been using for a long time. Also, if we were truly consistent with an ideal of sticking to the original, our Scriptures would not include chapters or verses, the Hebrew Testament would have no pointing and the Greek Testament would have no punctuation.

On face value, it appears that this omission of headings is an arbitrary decision based on a personal preference rather than a consistent application of principle. I respectfully request that you at least give the option to those of us who disagree.

• Like 2

Not sure if you saw this thread where it has been discussed previously and is on the 'to do list'

I miss headings in the printed copies as its a quick navigation aid to often see how a passage fits in, but find accordance outlines useful as they are standard for all texts. Havent found it an issue in groups as there are usually numerous translations being used and the headings are typically different if there at all.

https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/15934-bible-headings/

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

You could always use Outlines of Bible books in parallel with your Bible text.

Or NAB Bible outlines.

Or Dake Bible outlines.

(And there may be others I don't have)

Edited by Alistair

Thanks. I’m relatively new to the forums, so I have missed previous threads. If it is on the to do list, I look forward to it.

The outlines option seems fair, but it’s not really the solution I seek. It would also be impractical in iOS.

I believe there is principle involved. A huge feature of Accordance is the ability to perform word searches (and other more sophisticated searches). One of the concerns is how such headings will or could affect searches. For example, can the programmers exclude the headings for someone wanting to know how many times the word "love" appears in translation xyz if the person does not want headings included, since that would skew the analysis?

On the other hand I recognize, someone else may wish to search words of the headings that contain "love" (for example).

Knowing that the Accordance folks do monitor the forums, I hazard to say that they are aware of this feature request, given the number of times it has come up over the years. I suspect that if it could be done easily (without compromising the core search features), it would have already been implemented.

Disclaimer: I do not work for Accordance. Specifically I am not a programmer, so these are simply the opinions of a long time user (since version 1.1a, when it was spelling acCordance).

Edited by Michael J. Bolesta
  • Like 1

I guess it would have to be implemented in a way that could be switched on or off, such as superscript references in Bible texts and page numbers in commentary modules.

I believe there is principle involved. A huge feature of Accordance is the ability to perform word searches (and other more sophisticated searches). One of the concerns is how such headings will or could affect searches. For example, can the programmers exclude the headings for someone wanting to know how many times the word "love" appears in translation xyz if the person does not want headings included, since that would skew the analysis?

On the other hand I recognize, someone else may wish to search words of the headings that contain "love" (for example).

Something like the way you can specify where you are searching in reference tools (caption, text, etc).

post-31185-0-03991300-1506974301_thumb.png

Something like the way you can specify where you are searching in reference tools (caption, text, etc).

As long as one can specify what is being searched, it would work. And being able to specify the default would be important. For me, I would not want the headings included in the search most of the time (I want to search the text itself), so my default would exclude the heading. Under those conditions, including the headings is acceptable. Being able to turn them off and on (like verse numbers, red letter, superscripts, etc) would be desirable as well.

I understand the desire of some to have the headings. My reservation is that they not compromise a core function of Accordance, the ability to search to text, which is primary after all (at least to those who hold the text to be sacred).

Edited by Michael J. Bolesta
  • Like 1

I appreciate the importance of maintaining textual integrity, especially where searching is concerned. Of course, we need to bear in mind that every translation is, by nature, a commentary, which is why we have the option of translators' notes and references. We currently have the option of seeing the note markers within the text without compromising the search function. I would be surprised if the headings could not be incorporated within this option as information that is visible but outside the search parameters. Nowadays, a logarithm is possible for just about anything. The only limitations are development cost and policy choice.

• Like 2

I've done here the suggestion that it will be great to have <h> </h> tags for User/Imported Bibles. The user can then also search for it. Fade in and out. Like other Bible SW can do.

In TheWord Bible SW it is also possible to change the headings. For example I use a Englisch Bible and I can display the one from a German Bible. But this seems to have another code structure than my example above.

Greetings

Fabian

Edited by Fabian

• 1 year later...

In theWord Bible software and in BW you can choose which headings you want to display. I would love If we have this in Accordance too. So I can see the headings also in German not only in English as it is right now on top of the Info Pane. And please searchable.

Greetings

Fabian

• Like 2

Maybe in Accordance 13?

:P

Headings would be splendid! +1