Search a group of commentaries about the same verses?

Mutien Chen

The "Research" is a very handy function to use. I am wondering, whether it is possible to search one verse, for example, gen 1:1, and only show the contents of the exactly paragraphs of each commentary? Which looks like what the function of "Add Parallel" shows? Because most of the time, when I use "Research" by verses, it will also show up more information than what I need and it takes a lot of time to filter them.

I am not 100% sure that I am getting the question but perhaps this will help. In the gear wheel menu of the Research tab there is an option to "Show Excerpts" or "Show Full Text". When I select full text it seems to show the full paragraphs.

Is this what you are looking for ?

Thx

D

Thanks, Dan, however, this is not what I am looking for. If you use a normal tab zone with a Bible text, then you can add parallel commentary tools which are directly move accompanied with the Bible text when you change to the other verse. For the contents of these commentaries, tools zones will normally start from the beginning of the texts of each commentary. I am wondering whether it is possible to do the similar way in research only show the verse paragraph in each commentary. It will be one paragraph for one commentary.

I am not 100% sure that I am getting the question but perhaps this will help. In the gear wheel menu of the Research tab there is an option to "Show Excerpts" or "Show Full Text". When I select full text it seems to show the full paragraphs.

Is this what you are looking for ?

Thx

D

Edited by Mutien Chen

I'm sorry but think I'll have to leave this one to someone else. I don't know if what you are looking for can be done.

I suspect I'm still not quite understanding what you want but I rarely use commentaries in parallel panes to texts to be absolutely honest.

Hopefully someone who does can help better.

Thx

D

Right-click on a verse reference in your text and select "Research" and "Commentaries". That will open the Research pane with a search for the verse reference you right-clicked on. But this searches any commentary that includes any range of which your verse is a part. To narrow your focus to EXACTLY John 1:1, and nothing else, simply put an "=" sign in front of John 1:1 in the Research pane and hit "Return". This will dramatically narrow your search.

• Like 2

Mark, thanks for explaining. Context-based Research is very useful, especially with the =-sign.

I would like to throw in another useful way of amplifying. It might not answer precisely, what you are looking for, Mutien, but here goes: Design a workspace with the commentaries you use on a certain book (e.g. in vertical panes). Right-click on a verse reference and choose My Worskpaces and pick the designed workspace that then will look up the full text at the Scripture reference encoded in Accordance - which normally is the right one, but for some commentaries, the lack of verse-by-verse commentary, has obviously forced Accordance to pin-point to e.g. the translation.

In any case: I use this a lot to gain a quick overview over the discussion of a certain verse.

Morten

Mark, thanks for your advice. It really narrowed my search. However, there is still too much information. 

Morten, that is the way I did for bible study. I like the way to use the workspace and even I have two settings for NT and OT.

But due to the screen limitation, if I want to have a quick view for 10 commentaries, then I need a really big screen.

Therefore, for research, it's a substitute way to have an overview about those 10 commentaries, and I would like to pin-point to the verse in each. 

Mutien

Edited by Mutien Chen

Hey Mutien,

I'm going to have to ask - curiosity and all that.

What size screen are we talking about ? And could you upload a screen shot of what you are doing ?

Thx

D

There may be another option here.

If you create a new workspace called "Commentaries" or something like that you could create one tab with your Bible text. Open another tab and fill it with your popular commentaries. Open another tab and populate it with your second set of commentaries. Continue as needed.

Then, tie the second, third, etc. tab (the ones with the commentaries) to the first tab that has the Bible text.

Search for the text in the first tab (the bible one) and the subsequent tabs will display the entry for only that verse.

Maybe I'll build something like this then upload to the exchange.

Few screenshots for example...

First Tab (Bible)

post-211-0-88620200-1508987522_thumb.png

Second Tab (Commentaries)

post-211-0-45057100-1508987540_thumb.png

There may be another option here.

If you create a new workspace called "Commentaries" or something like that you could create one tab with your Bible text. Open another tab and fill it with your popular commentaries. Open another tab and populate it with your second set of commentaries. Continue as needed.

Then, tie the second, third, etc. tab (the ones with the commentaries) to the first tab that has the Bible text.

Search for the text in the first tab (the bible one) and the subsequent tabs will display the entry for only that verse.

Maybe I'll build something like this then upload to the exchange.

Jarcher, thanks for this creative way and the tip to tie the tabs!

I just found out that if I would like to print out all the zones of commentaries,

you just need to minimize the verse range to 1 verse, then you can print all your favorite commentary into pdf or paper. 

If it's possible to only print the first paragraph of each zone, that would be so wonderful!

• Like 1

Morten, 

First, you can open a new workspace with one main text version and then add some of your favorite text versions all move to top pane area. Second, use "add parallel" at top-right corner to add some of your favorite commentaries and move them to the bottom pane area. Let's say you have four texts on the top, four commentaries at the bottom. Third, do a verse search such as "Gen 1:1". Fourth, use command + / (toggle context) to show only one verse texts and commentary contents. Fifth, go to printing setting to set the layout you like. Sixth, you can print pdf or by a printer to have few pages about one verse commentaries. 

You can check the attachments about how it looks like. For these files are black and white, if it's color, it will be more beautiful.

post-31710-0-95632600-1509172263_thumb.pngpost-31710-0-78225400-1509172276_thumb.png

• Like 1