Greek diacritical marks showing as other characters

EricC

I'm not convinced this is an Accordance bug, but something is wrong on my installation.

post-3736-0-88560600-1509612027_thumb.jpg

The diacritics on οἵτινες end up showing up as improper characters, as in attached screenshot. I tried shutting down Accordance and restarting with resetting installed fonts. That did not help.

Acc for Mac 12.1.4

Wallace v. 3.3

Edit: If I copy and paste that word into another app, the diacritics are correct. Thus, it's only a display issue.

Edited by EricC

Eric,

It sounds to me as if you are using a Greek font without all the proper characters. Try switching your Accordance Preferences>Tool display font to Accordance or Cardo. Either of those should have all the correct characters.

post-29215-0-95155100-1509626737_thumb.png

Thanks for the idea, Dr. J.

The setting in Preferences > Tool Display was something other than Accordance, so I change it to Accordance. I applied it to "all open texts," but it did no good. I closed Wallace's GGBB and reopened it after changing the display font; result: no change.

Then I closed Accordance and re-opened it, but no success.

I even changed "Text Display" font to Accordance.

So I closed Accordance and re-opened with the Control key down. Then I asked it to clean up the installed fonts. Still no success – the Greek diacritics are still displaying incorrectly.

So, at this point the problem is still with me.

Here are my settings at they are now:

post-3736-0-90031300-1509636702_thumb.png

post-3736-0-68576000-1509636712_thumb.png

Ah, I see the problem. You've switched the Unicode settings, but not the regular Tool display settings.

Take a good, hard look at the pict I uploaded. The Tool display settings are on a different Preference panel. Try adjusting those.

Have you run Accordance in Safe mode and chosen to clean up installed fonts?

Safe mode has lots of great options for troubleshooting. You simply launch Accordance with the option key pressed (on Windows press alt immediately after the launch).

Ah, I see the problem. You've switched the Unicode settings, but not the regular Tool display settings.

Take a good, hard look at the pict I uploaded. The Tool display settings are on a different Preference panel. Try adjusting those.

I think it was OK that I smiled when I read your last post. I hope you'll smile at this one, Dr. J.

I have changed both the Tool Display Settings and the Unicode Settings. To quote a friend of mine, "Take a good, hard look at the [second] pict I uploaded." :)  I.e. I posted two screenshots in my second post. The second shot in the second post shows that I set the Tool Display settings to the Accordance font.

Have you run Accordance in Safe mode and chosen to clean up installed fonts?

Safe mode has lots of great options for troubleshooting. You simply launch Accordance with the option key pressed (on Windows press alt immediately after the launch).

I'm on Mac.

Yes, I tried that already before posting the first time, but only for the cleaning up of fonts. I really dislike the other options since they erase my personal settings.

But after seeing your post, I decided to go ahead and "zap" the Text Settings. I held down the Ctrl key, selected the option to rebuild the Text Settings, saw the warning that I'd lose personal settings, and agreed to the "zap."

Now Accordance won't even launch. It just hangs at the splash screen. :(

Unfortunately, I can't follow up on this now, as I'll be offline for 8-10 hours. I'll check back later and see if I can revive Accordance.

Thanks for your help.

Edit: I forced Acc to quit and relaunched. Still bad display of fonts. So I did the Ctrl-launch again and selected Rebuild Text Settings again. It hung again. Then I forced it to quit and relaunched. It did restart, but still bad font display. No success.

Edited by EricC

You will need to set up a screenshare with the tech support during office hours, or with Ryan or me outside of them. Please email support@ to set this up.

Ah, you're right, Eric!

I only looked at the first picture, not the second. Chuckle. Sorry. You did well.

Unfortunately, that means I am out of suggestions. Suggest you follow Helen's advice and contact technical support. Let us know what they find!

• Like 1

Helen & Dr. J,

OK, I'll have to contact support when I can figure out that I'll have time to follow through with it. Thanks!

And, Dr. J, I appreciate your humor and willingness to chuckle. I did, too :)