Speed Test Mac Air mid 13 and iPhone X

Fabian

Hello

I made just for fun a speed test by searching the [subject] on the ETCBC on the Mac Air with macOS High Sierra 10.13.1 with Accordance 12.1.4

and iPhone X iOS 11.1 with Accordance 2.5.7 also ETCBC. Both had found the same amount of 36954 hits.

On the Mac it needs 1. 45:32 2. 45:10 seconds (start and stop by hand on my old 4s as chronometer) 

and 45:62 as search in the Hebrew Construction.

and on the iPhone X only 1. 13:54 2. 13:22 (start and stop by hand on my old 4s as chronometer)

Maybe the second tests I was quicker with my hands.

The only thing which speech for the Mac: In my opinion to run the query is easier. I would love to have the old iPhone plus landscape keyboard on my X. So to type the query needs more time on the iPhone and the benefit from the faster search is lost.

Greetings

Fabian

Edited by Fabian
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

I don't know why my iPhone-X is so much faster.  

Perhaps Accordance Mobile take use of the full potential of the Hexacore CPU or of the 2 high performance cores and the desktop version still works only in single core operation.

I don't know, but it would be a shame if Accordance on desktop don't use the full potential power which is possible since more and more Mac's have multiple core CPUs.

Greetings

Fabian

• 6 months later...

O.K. next Speedtest. Same search query.

New MacBook Pro 2018 With Touch Bar and T2 processor. Quad Core i7 2,7GHz, 16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 Ram, 1TB SSD. 

Accordance 12.3.1

26:79 seconds. 

Definitely faster than my old MacBook Air, but still not in the sphere where the iPhone X is. It is now very close in the middle between the MacBook Air and the iPhone X.

Greetings

Fabian

Fabian

You used the 4s as a stopwatch. Have you still got accordance installed on it? Out of interest, If so what about running the test on it and using the x as a stop watch? ;o)

Hello Fraser

Yes this would be interesting but, I've had given the 4S to my Mother. Accordance is installed, but not with my Account. Only the free stuff. 

On my XP I have installed Accordance too, but also not with my Account only the Lite.

I have to find a query which use a lot of time and do it. Maybe a [Fuzzy] is complex enough. 

Greetings

Fabian

Thanks. I keep seeing all the claims from apple but dont really notice any difference with accordance between my ipad pro and 4s though dont do much complex searching on the phone.

The only thing i have to do to the phone is keep deleting stuff so that it has plenty of storage free. But it is time it got upgraded, perhaps this year...

Fraser, If you give me a case to run and time, I will try it on my 8+ phone. Oh, the camera on it is quite useful as well; using my big Nikon less and less for walk around stuff. It is also is able to scan documents via the photo system—nice in the research library and better copies than the photocopier. I call the phone my micro iPad. ;)

—Joseph

Edited by Solly

Hi solly, it was fabian's test. I must say, the 8 is what i am looking at, for me its still mainly a phone, text and ipod!

Im still taking my nikon with me whenever i go out for a walk but have cut it down to a 24-120 and 80-400 (and possibly 120 micro). They all fit in my billingham nicely.

The 300 f2.8 only gets an occasional outing now and cant remember when i last used my 'blad. ;o(

I did Fabian's test on my iPhone 8+ with results within 2 seconds of his results.

The iPhone was also just over 3 times faster than my MacBook Pro (mid 2014 version).  :blink:

—Joseph

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

After update to Catalina 10.15.1 beta and Accordance 12.3.6 I have now stopped 25:63 and 25:82 seconds.

I was hoped it get much faster without the 32bit stuff, and because a lot people said: Catalina is more responsive.

Greetings

Fabian

• 9 months later...

New test with the same MacBook Pro, but now with Big Sur public beta and Accordance 13.1.3.

The times was 19:98 and 19:38. Ca. 6 seconds faster.

I've noticed also the Research is much faster since I have jumped to Big Sur. The import of User Bibles are also faster.

Greetings

Fabian

Edited by Fabian

• 3 months later...

Fabian,

I'm not sure if I'm replicating your query correctly. I have MT-ETCBC and queried for [sUBJECT] in Words mode.

Results: 8.31 seconds with 65860 hits on my MacBook Pro 15" 2019 (2.4GHz, 8 core i9, 32GB RAM)

• Like 1

Take me about 21 seconds on a 2009 27" iMac with 12GB RAM and 3 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo on Accodance 13.1.4. I get the same count as dandennison.

So like Dan I am not sure I am reproducing your query Fabian - I just did what Dan did.

Thx

D

• Like 1

You both had done it exactly what I have done.

I have found out Big Sur is faster. Maybe Accordance has improved too. 13.1.4.

My new times on the Mac are 8.60 and 9.08. So much faster as before.

Thanks.

Fabian

Edited by Fabian
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Fabian, just wanted to report, running the same search on Accordance 13.1.4 on the M1 Mac Mini, under Rosetta 2 emulation, on macOS Big Sur 11.0.1, has a total time of 8.80 seconds.

• Like 2

Fabian, just wanted to report, running the same search on Accordance 13.1.4 on the M1 Mac Mini, under Rosetta 2 emulation, on macOS Big Sur 11.0.1, has a total time of 8.80 seconds.

Thank, thats great to hear/see Accordance is equal or faster on the M1 even under Rosetta 2. So no hurry for a native app for the M1.

• 2 weeks later...

Just recorded a time of 4.37 seconds when running a super-early-dev version natively on that same Mac Mini.  Roughly 2x as fast as when in emulation.

• Like 5

That's wonderful! My M1 is due at the end of January.

Hoping Accordance will be native by then.

Frank

Just recorded a time of 4.37 seconds when running a super-early-dev version natively on that same Mac Mini.  Roughly 2x as fast as when in emulation.

• 4 weeks later...

9.26 seconds on my M1 MBP with Accordance running in Rosetta 2.

• Like 1

Right at 9 seconds on my M1 MacBook Air running in Rosetta 2

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hello

On 1/15/2021 at 2:15 AM, R. Mansfield said:

9.26 seconds on my M1 MBP with Accordance running in Rosetta 2.

Now the Universal app 13.2 with my Mac with Intel i7. Now with macOS Monterey 12.0 Public Beta 1. The new times are 7.69 and 7.50

So again faster. 

Thanks. 

I'm wondering if the time got faster on a M1. 4.37 is to beat.

Fabian

Edited by Fabian
  • Like 1

I got 4.45 on my MacBook Air M1 running 13.2 beta 3. The difference in 4.37 and 4.45 is probably not real since this is me manually pressing start stop.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Brian W. Davidson said:

I got 4.45 on my MacBook Air M1 running 13.2 beta 3. The difference in 4.37 and 4.45 is probably not real since this is me manually pressing start stop.

Thanks. Yes I thinks so too.