41 replies to this topic

#41 Scott M

Scott M

Gold

• Accordance
  • 379 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 19 December 2017 - 02:40 PM

OK, I'm working on this as (hopefully) the final thing before the next beta.

As mentioned, what Android refers to as 'external storage' includes, but is not limited to, SD cards. A this point, we are leery of, in our V1.0, including hard-coded hacks to directly use the SD cards in contravention of standard Android behaviors. (It may buy everyone grief in the short (and possibly long) haul, and we can certainly revisit this whole issue later.)

(There are also issues with removing content in non-standard, hacky locations when the app is uninstalled.)

So, for now, when the app is installed, if Android reports to the app that 'external storage' is available, we'll store a flag in the app that records that we're using external storage--and content will all be installed to 'external storage.'

Note that this may, or may not, actually end up on the SD card, depending on the OS version and the device manufacturer. For now, we're going to let the Android OS and device sort this out. At least we know we can use this supported API to find the content and even relocate it later, if / when we research or develop a more elaborate, hopefully less hacky, approach.

That's what I think I know. Shouldn't take too long. Famous last words and all.

• דָנִיאֶל likes this

#42 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Mithril

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,372 posts
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows

Posted 19 December 2017 - 02:54 PM

I had concerns about a hack too. This sounds prudent to me.

Thx

D

Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua

ἡ μόνη ἀγαθὴ γλῶσσα γλῶσσα νεκρὰ ἐστιν

lišanu ēdēnitu damqitu lišanu mītu

"Du stammst vom Herrn Adam und der Herrin Eva ab", sagte Aslan. "Und das ist zugleich Ehre genug, um das Häupt des ärmsten Bettlers zu erheben, und genug, um die Schultern des größten Kaisers auf Erden zu beugen. Sei zufrieden." Aslan, Die Chroniken von Narnia, Prinz Kaspian von Narnia. CS Lewis. Übersetzt von Wolfgang Holbein und Christian Rendel.

Accordance Configurations :

Mac : 2009 27" iMac                 Windows : MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro laptop
      Intel Core Duo                          Intel i7 Kabylake
      12GB RAM                                16GB RAM
      Accordance 11.2.4 and 12                Accordance 12
      OSX 10.11 (Yosemite)                    Win 10 Home x64

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users