• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ιακοβ

Ιακοβ

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • Interests:Studying MDiv. Greek. Hebrew.
  • Accordance Version:11.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 10 November 2017 - 05:51 PM

Having now started to use the iOS app regularly, it is mostly a very convenient solutoin. Apart from my biggest iOS annoyance (when you want to switch resources the search box only allows you to search the recently used items, forcing a click back to the main library every time I want to switch reseources using a search-i.e. every day, I’m still not quite used to remembering that extra step) the next biggest annoyance is that I can’t use my iPad to ask “what does this verse look like in all of the other translations”.

I know a feature allowing extra panels would solve this, however I am not asking for a particular. Technological solution, all I am saying is, on my iPad, I frequently need to be able to ask the question “how is this verse translated in all of the other key translations”. Having to wait until I get back to a computer to do this is frustrating, as it means I have to suspend my reflection on a particular translational issue until later.

Edited by Ιακοβ, 10 November 2017 - 05:52 PM.

#2 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 3,081 posts
  • Twitter:@thislamp
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted 11 November 2017 - 11:20 AM

It's not the immediate solution you're looking for, but I've found the quickest way to compare versions is to put my most-used Bibles near the top of the Texts library. Then, tapping the version name at the top of the screen is a faster way to switch than going back to the Library to switch to a different version. Parallel panes will allow you to view two versions at a time and switch them from the top of both panes this way.

I realize I'm probably not telling you anything you haven't thought of. 

• Ιακοβ likes this

Rick Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

Accordance Bible Software

Gear for Running Accordance:

macOS

2014 Mac Mini - 2.6 Ghz dual core Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, macOS Sierra/macOS Server

2016 15" MacBook Pro - 2.9 Ghz quad core Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, macOS High Sierra

Windows

2014 15.6" Acer R7-572 - 1.6 Ghz Core i5, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB mSATA, 512 GB SSD, Windows 10

iOS

2017 iPhone X - 256 GB, Verizon, iOS 11.x

2016 iPad Pro (12.9") - 256 GB, Verizon, iOS 11.x

Android 

2017 Amazon Fire HD 8 - 32 GB internal + 64 GB microSD, Fire OS 5.6 (=Android OS 5.x)

2017 Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 - 128 GB, Android OS 7.0

#3 Ιακοβ

Ιακοβ

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • Interests:Studying MDiv. Greek. Hebrew.
  • Accordance Version:11.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:16 AM

Thanks. On the desktop I normally can view about 10 translations at a time (my screen is not that large),  I think if I was flicking between translations I would not be able to flick through 10 translations and hold them all in my head at the same time so that I can compare the vocab for each translation.

I realise doing a comparison between a collection of translations of a particular verse is generally only an activity that someone who is doing either bible translation, or exegesis would conduct, but I imagine I am not the only person that does translation and exegesis work. (In fact I believe for people who can't read in the original languages, cross-comparing 10 translations will allow someone to quickly see if there are nuances in the original language that are difficult to translate)

Edited by Ιακοβ, 12 November 2017 - 06:17 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Parallel, multiple translatoins, ios, translations

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users