• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Ιακοβ

Ιακοβ

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts
  • Interests:Studying MDiv. Greek. Hebrew.
  • Accordance Version:11.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 26 July 2018 - 09:29 PM

I have never really tried to use the interlinear before, I just tested it out. Either I don't understand what the interlinear is used for, or it just doesn't work. 

For example, I opened up to Mark 8:2 in UBS5-T (screenshot below)

1. Below the greek noun "Σπλαγχνίζομαι" sometimes we see the noun (compassion) without the helper word "have" that is expressing tense, and sometimes we see the helper word used to express tense (or in the case of NASB, we can see "feel" rather than "feel compassion").
  2. 2ESVi contains a -- where the "the" would be, the ESV translation certainly does translate ὁ to "the" so why is it missing?

Attached File  Attachment0.jpeg   95.56KB   0 downloads

My top 5 feature requests:
  1. 15pt font size for reading text (bible, journal articles, commentaries, etc...)
  2. Improved searching for Journal articles. (So we can search for journal article by verse + english text)
  3. Display Journal titles in journal search results. (Imagine a google search where you saw the page text but no headings?)
  4. Improved greek text search—i.e. allow searching of all greek text the same way you would search LXX+NT, i.e. LXX+NT+ApocFathers+etc...
  5. Phrase (sympathetic) highlighting.

#22 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,366 posts
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, Android

Posted 26 July 2018 - 10:04 PM

The interlinear depends upon the tagging. If you check the key numbers on the words in the English translations you'll see how it holds together. The NIV with Enhanced phrase tagging probably does best here - compare with how it works on the desktop app with parallel panes and cross highlighting. The English translations sometimes tag one word or two for the verb σπλαγχνίζομαι.

In the ESVi τον is not tagged - nor in the NAS - so that is likely why it's not there.

Thx

D

Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua
ἡ μόνη ἀγαθὴ γλῶσσα γλῶσσα νεκρὰ ἐστιν
lišanu ēdēnitu damqitu lišanu mītu

"Du stammst vom Herrn Adam und der Herrin Eva ab", sagte Aslan. "Und das ist zugleich Ehre genug, um das Häupt des ärmsten Bettlers zu erheben, und genug, um die Schultern des größten Kaisers auf Erden zu beugen. Sei zufrieden." Aslan, Die Chroniken von Narnia, Prinz Kaspian von Narnia. CS Lewis. Übersetzt von Wolfgang Holbein und Christian Rendel.

Accordance Syntax Search For Wallace's Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics : https://github.com/4...WallaceInSyntax

Accordance Crib Sheets: http://47rooks.com/l...ch-crib-sheets/

Accordance Configurations :

Mac : 2009 27" iMac
12GB RAM

Windows : MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro laptop
Intel Core Duo Intel i7 Kabylake

Android : Samsung Note III 5.0, Samsung Tab S3 7.0 and Lenovo TAB4 8" 7.1

#23 jlm

jlm

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 27 July 2018 - 05:37 AM

As far as the value of investing in the iOS app goes, I can tell you that the app is the reason why I decided to buy Accordance (hoping also for some future improvements). BibleWorks gives me all I need on the desktop, and I expect it to keep working for at least a few years. The crossgrade offer opened the prospect of mobile access to serious tools, instead of the free/cheap texts I had been using. I considered Logos, but there was no way to get the Bible translation I use on mobile: they don't sell it, and don't sync user bibles to mobile devices.

I do miss BibleWorks's easy way of comparing translations. The Logos iOS app has a compare text feature, which shows the selected verse in all (many?) available versions and highlights words that differ from the selected version (the one that was being viewed when compare text was selected). Showing the same verse in multiple translations works on any screen size, because the list can be scrolled if the versions don't all fit on the screen.

I propose this: when a verse number is selected in the iOS app, there is already a popup menu (Copy Verse, Highlight Verse, etc.). Add to this menu "Compare Translations" or something similar. Selecting it opens a new view with a back button (like Amplify). This view displays the text of the verse from each Text in the library, in the order in which they're found there. For the initial implementation, don't highlight differences, just show the text of each version. That already gets us to the BibleWorks level.

Future improvements could be up and down buttons to change verse, and highlighting differences, at least in texts in the same language.

• Mark Allison and Timothy Jenney like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Parallel, multiple translatoins, ios, translations

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users