• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Michel Gilbert

Michel Gilbert

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • Interests:heritage homes, antiques, gardens, fresh food, good coffee, live music, ויין אשר ישמח לבב אנוש (Ps 104,15)
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted 17 November 2017 - 10:03 AM

Hi,

Navigate TOC to Hebrew > ז > scroll down to זבולני

Here is the first problem, an unrendered character, with the rectangular box with an x in it.

Now tap זבולני

Here is the second problem: now tap the back button on the device, Acc closes/crashes.

Here is the third problem. Do this all again after Acc crashes, except try to go back with hamburger/TOC button, and its back arrow, and nothing happens.

Btw Daniel, is hamburger the correct technical term? The split screen/parallel pane icon looks more like a hamburger to me, so I find the term confusing. 

Regards,

Michel

Accordance 12.2 & 2.5

Mac mini, High Sierra, 10.13.2

iPad mini, 11.2

Android beta, 0.56

Huawei, Android 6.0.1

#2 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Mithril

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,241 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows

Posted 17 November 2017 - 10:20 AM

I believe it is the correct term (at least in terms of the form) and I too do not find it a great choice but I got the term from another UI library used in web development, but here is some more data:

Here is wikipedia on it : https://en.wikipedia...amburger_button

It apparently has other names - the pancake would perhaps make more sense - or even long stack - but there you go.

Here is a rant against the hamburger : https://techcrunch.c...tton-kills-you/. Nonetheless it's a common way to do things though tabs are also used.

Strictly I am not sure the TOC button is really semantically a hamburger given that it only really does one thing, whereas they are normally used for additional menus and side bars and such. Ultimately I hope these terminological issues can be resolved when the documentation comes out.

Thx
D

Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua

ἡ μόνη ἀγαθὴ γλῶσσα γλῶσσα νεκρὰ ἐστιν

lišanu ēdēnitu damqitu lišanu mītu

"Du stammst vom Herrn Adam und der Herrin Eva ab", sagte Aslan. "Und das ist zugleich Ehre genug, um das Häupt des ärmsten Bettlers zu erheben, und genug, um die Schultern des größten Kaisers auf Erden zu beugen. Sei zufrieden." Aslan, Die Chroniken von Narnia, Prinz Kaspian von Narnia. CS Lewis. Übersetzt von Wolfgang Holbein und Christian Rendel.

Accordance Configurations :

Mac : 2009 27" iMac                 Windows : MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro laptop
      Intel Core Duo                          Intel i7 Kabylake
      12GB RAM                                16GB RAM
      Accordance 11.2.4 and 12                Accordance 12
      OSX 10.11 (Yosemite)                    Win 10 Home x64

#3 Michel Gilbert

Michel Gilbert

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • Interests:heritage homes, antiques, gardens, fresh food, good coffee, live music, ויין אשר ישמח לבב אנוש (Ps 104,15)

Posted 17 November 2017 - 10:42 AM

We need a multi disciplinary approach to this question. Bring in the philosophers to discuss the true essence of a hamburger, followed by investigations into psychological, sociological, and chemical factors and properties.

Btw, does your HALOT do what mine does?

Thanks

Accordance 12.2 & 2.5

iPad mini, 11.2

Android beta, 0.56

Huawei, Android 6.0.1

#4 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Mithril

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,241 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 10:46 AM

We probably need a chef also. I suspect this will lead to greater snacking while studying. :) Seriously though I wonder if the TOC icon oughtn't to be changed so it does not so resemble the hamburger as it isn't performing the same function. Of course not my call and it doesn't bug me but just wondering.

I'll try the search and ping back

thx

D

"Du stammst vom Herrn Adam und der Herrin Eva ab", sagte Aslan. "Und das ist zugleich Ehre genug, um das Häupt des ärmsten Bettlers zu erheben, und genug, um die Schultern des größten Kaisers auf Erden zu beugen. Sei zufrieden." Aslan, Die Chroniken von Narnia, Prinz Kaspian von Narnia. CS Lewis. Übersetzt von Wolfgang Holbein und Christian Rendel.

#5 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Mithril

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,241 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 10:56 AM

I tried your test and it did not crash the app on my TAB4 (7.1.1.) but it didn't go back where I expected. It went back to the ESVi text, which was not what I had open before I opened HALOT. Ok so I tried it a second time and this time it it took me back to the Android home screen, it didn't pop up any message about crashing or not responding, it just vanished. So navigating to the app and popping it up again I come back to the entry in HALOT for זבולני. So it seems like the app is not remembering it's state quite correctly from a TOC search and selection but I'm not getting a crash.

Thx

D

#6 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Mithril

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,241 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 10:58 AM

A similar test case can be constructed in BDAG.

Open BDAG

Open TOC

Navigate to H

notice the various incorrect renderings of Greek words with mathematical division signs in them or double ''.

select a word

hit the back button

Acc disappears

Thx

D

#7 Michel Gilbert

Michel Gilbert

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 11:00 AM

Thanks Daniel

Accordance 12.2 & 2.5

iPad mini, 11.2

Android beta, 0.56

Huawei, Android 6.0.1

#8 Scott M

Scott M

Gold

• Accordance
  • 278 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 17 November 2017 - 11:36 AM

FWIW, the icon in question is named 'menu_icon'. I don't know why.

But I'm hungry now.

I'll look into the crashes, thanks.

• Michel Gilbert likes this

#9 Scott M

Scott M

Gold

• Accordance
  • 278 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 11:54 AM

A similar test case can be constructed in BDAG.

Open BDAG

Open TOC

Navigate to H

notice the various incorrect renderings of Greek words with mathematical division signs in them or double ''.

select a word

hit the back button

Acc disappears

Thx

D

OK, this is, I think, actually the expected behavior.

Once you select the article-level word, BDAG is advanced to that article and you are left viewing the single pane view. If you hit the back button at that point, it is no different than if you merely opened the app afresh to a single pane view, then hit back. Either way, you will exit the app.

Unless I am missing something badly. (Entirely possible...)

#10 Scott M

Scott M

Gold

• Accordance
  • 278 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 12:02 PM

Hi,

Navigate TOC to Hebrew > ז > scroll down to זבולני

Here is the first problem, an unrendered character, with the rectangular box with an x in it.

Now tap זבולני

Here is the second problem: now tap the back button on the device, Acc closes/crashes.

Here is the third problem. Do this all again after Acc crashes, except try to go back with hamburger/TOC button, and its back arrow, and nothing happens.

Btw Daniel, is hamburger the correct technical term? The split screen/parallel pane icon looks more like a hamburger to me, so I find the term confusing. 

Regards,

Michel

#1 - There is a general problem rendering original languages in the TOC. We're using Unicode (as opposed to Accordance Helena, etc.) to display the original languages in the TOC, and there appear to be some conversion issues. I suspect that the Android Unicode font is missing characters that are present in a Windows Unicode font, or I merely blundered in the conversion process. This is a known, and probably during ETS/SBL, not likely to be fixed, issue.

#2 - See the reply to דָנִיאֶל above.

#3 - I can't replicate this. Can you provide some more details here? Maybe even a screenshot to help me follow? Thanks.

#11 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Mithril

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,241 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 12:07 PM

OK, this is, I think, actually the expected behavior.

Once you select the article-level word, BDAG is advanced to that article and you are left viewing the single pane view. If you hit the back button at that point, it is no different than if you merely opened the app afresh to a single pane view, then hit back. Either way, you will exit the app.

Unless I am missing something badly. (Entirely possible...)

Ok, absent a crash on this I can see how this is. I just played with it for a bit with texts and tools and I see what you are getting at. Makes sense.

Btw, there is a small nit I noticed but I cannot repro. right now. I had the App open with a text and parallel pane. I hit the back button and instead of the app closing both panes blanked out. On a second tap of the back button the app closed. If I can repro. it I'll open a separate issue.

Thx

D

#12 Michel Gilbert

Michel Gilbert

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 01:00 PM

If it's expected, I hope that when ID comes, we can navigate back to our text with a back arrow, like in iOS. I guess I was basing my report/expectation on that.

Regarding #3, I expected the back arrow within the app to bring me back where I was reading:

Open a Hebrew Bible, then HALOT > TOC > Hebrew > א (top letter) > pick any word > click menu icon > click blue back arrow at top left

and it doesn't go back to the Bible, it returns to the same word.

If I need to post a screen shot I'll just add it separately to this post; I don't like typing/tapping this much on my phone.

Accordance 12.2 & 2.5

iPad mini, 11.2

Android beta, 0.56

Huawei, Android 6.0.1

#13 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Mithril

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,241 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 01:11 PM

Michel, this sounds like you're trying to do an amplify style workflow ? Once that's supported I would agree that it should be possible somehow to return to the text being read. Right now I don't think there is a way to get back to where you were. You have to reopen the text yourself and then you don't get back to where you were.

Is that the basic problem ?

And as to the TOC left facing arrow I don't think it functions that way, At the top level it will only get back to the lexicon itself.

(Of course, subject to any corrections from Scott.)

Thx

D

#14 Michel Gilbert

Michel Gilbert

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 01:16 PM

I was just about to clarify, yes, I mean if you amplify from ID in iOS to Lexeme, i.e., to a word in HALOT, you tap on the screen, see a blue back arrow at the top left, and you go right back to where you were in your Hebrew Bible.

Accordance 12.2 & 2.5

iPad mini, 11.2

Android beta, 0.56

Huawei, Android 6.0.1

#15 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Mithril

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,241 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 01:20 PM

Ok, yes I really want that workflow too but I suspect it may not happen in 1.0. Amplify is on the list of not in 1.0 alas https://www.accordan...ta/#entry108565

Thx

D

• Scott M likes this

#16 Scott M

Scott M

Gold

• Accordance
  • 278 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 02:04 PM

Yes, ID (Instant Details) is not part of V1.0. When it comes, I believe it will likely happen in a dialog, not a new Android Activity.

Let me see if I can break down the (present) structure in a helpful (and possibly) accurate manner:

1. The app starts with a Splash Activity that does *not* get placed onto the back stack. (Pressing back will not take you back into the Splash Activity.)

2. After Splash closes the app starts into one of three main co-Activities (I think I just invented the term co-Activities), whichever, if any, were last left open when the app was exited:

A. Single Pane View

B. Dual Pane View (panes arranged vertically)

C. Dual Pane View (panes arranged horizontally)

Now, these co-Activities work a bit differently than normal Activities might otherwise flow. That is, one can go from A, to B, then C, but then one does *not* hit back for B, then back for A, then back again to exit the app. Essentially, while they are programmatically separate Activities as far as Android is concerned, they function as co-Activity 'modes' behaving as if they were one single Activity. Moving from any one of these three to another does *not* put or remove activities from the back-stack of activities within the app.

(The reason for this is (hopefully) intuitive. If I like doing dual pane work, I don't want to have to go back through a back stack including the single pane view to exit the app, and when I restart, I want to be back in my dual pane view--not needing to navigate back into it.)

When you are merely viewing a co-Activity (A, B, C) with no dialogs floating about (see #3), pressing the back button will exit the app.

3. The co-Activities allow various dialogs to show, leaving A, B, or C (at least partly) visible underneath. The dialogs can be dismissed either by the back button or tapping outside the dialog (soft-dismiss).

4. The co-Activities do allow the launch of true Activities (not co-Activities) that *do* put the co-Activity into the back stack. These include Library (see #5), Easy Install, Settings, Help (such as it is at the moment), About and (for now) Diagnostics.

5. The Library has a unique behavior involving the back stack. To exit the Library without making a selection, press the back button and the Library will be removed from the back stack and you will be returned to your A, B, or C co-Activity. BUT, selecting content from the Library will both close the Library (removing it from the back stack), and *replace* whatever co-Activity (A, B or C) with a single pane (A) co-Activity at the top of the back stack. Pressing back after making a Library choice exits the app. It does *not* cycle back through a back-stack of Library selections.

It remains to be seen how this will evolve over time, but that is a basic overview of the structure, if that helps.

Edited by Scott M, 17 November 2017 - 02:06 PM.

• Michel Gilbert likes this

#17 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Mithril

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,241 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 02:30 PM

Thanx Scott, that helps a lot with background. Another question on something I've noticed. When you hit the back button and exit the app I see the app disappear but if I go to the Application Manager Accordance is still apparently running. Yet if I then go and tap on the Accordance application to reopen it I go through the splash page activity again. Is the App really still running after exit ? Is this just how Android handles app shutdown ?

I believe Android handles resource management and can shut apps down if resource is a problem - I presume it would do it first with apps in this sort of running but not quite state. If so then it's nothing to be concerned about I assume.

thx

D

• Scott M likes this

#18 Scott M

Scott M

Gold

• Accordance
  • 278 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 04:04 PM

Thanx Scott, that helps a lot with background. Another question on something I've noticed. When you hit the back button and exit the app I see the app disappear but if I go to the Application Manager Accordance is still apparently running. Yet if I then go and tap on the Accordance application to reopen it I go through the splash page activity again. Is the App really still running after exit ? Is this just how Android handles app shutdown ?

I believe Android handles resource management and can shut apps down if resource is a problem - I presume it would do it first with apps in this sort of running but not quite state. If so then it's nothing to be concerned about I assume.

thx

D

Yes, you're correct. I'm over-simplifying saying 'app exit'. I get a notification to persist what needs to be saved if I die, and I have to put humpty dumpty back together again if it is re-awoken--whether or not the app is completely killed or not. But if you don't start another app (and probably a whole lot of other potential conditions depending on Android OS version, memory, etc.), yes, it will resume the app without having fully killed it.

I believe the reasoning is that the temporary sleep / pause state may actually get upgraded (or is it downgraded?) to a total kill, with no intervening wakefulness on the part of the app. So the app needs to assume the worst and prepare accordingly when it gets the save instance notification.

• דָנִיאֶל likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users