Nathan Parker

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted Yesterday, 08:29 PM

Now that I'm back on a Mac, I'm not extremely worried about my Mac itself getting too much malware. I use Gatekeeper, only install Mac apps from reputable sources, am careful when browsing the web, and use FileVault, backup with Time Machine, and macOS Firewall and Little Snitch.

However, I am interested in keeping some form of basic antivirus software on my Mac to scan for especially Windows viruses to ensure I'm not unknowingly transmitting viruses to my Windows-using brethren.

Here are some of the options I have either used or are looking into, and I'd love to hear some feedback from people concerning them:

1. Malwarebytes: I used the basic edition of Malwarebytes in the Mac in the past. Seems the new version offers a free and paid version. I wasn't sure if I should go for the paid version.

2. Avast: I've used the free version of Avast in the past, but I'm leery that using a free product, am I sacrificing my privacy with it and am I "the product"? I've also had issues where Avast Proxy conflicted with Little Snitch.

3. Intego: I used them years ago in the past, and the product was always solid, but I wonder if it's overkill for my needs today.

4. Thirtyseven4: I've used them as well, and I like the fact it's affordable and from a Christian-based company. However, Thirtyseven4 for Mac is 32 Bit only at the moment, so I am concerned about if they'd have a 64 Bit version ready before the next major release of macOS (Thirtyseven4 is built on QuickHeal).

5. Kaspersky: I've heard a ton of good about Kaspersky, but I've also heard in the news about the whole Russian government/Kaspersky incident (although I know a lot of rumors travel around in the news). I also haven't back from Kaspersky yet when I messaged their sales team.

6. McAfee: I could signup for McAfee through T-Mobile on my T-Mobile bill which would be convenient, but when I messaged McAfee sales, they put me in touch with McAfee chat support, and they didn't seem to understand basic questions I had for them, so I have a bad vibe about them.

7: Webroot: I have an active Webroot license (through February) from Best Buy that was linked to my Surface Book. Webroot has already freed up the license and sent me over the info I need to download Webroot on my Mac and re-register the key (support was super fast). Scans are super fast as well. 

Mainly I'm looking for basic antivirus, mainly to ensure I don't spread Windows viruses on, and something that won't tax my system performance too much.

Thanks!

Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://focusingonthemarkministries.com

#2 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 3,031 posts
  • Twitter:@thislamp
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted Yesterday, 09:36 PM

I use Bitdefender

I like that it doesn't slow down my system and seems to be about the most-capable application of its kind on the Mac. 

Rick Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

Accordance Bible Software

Gear for Running Accordance:

macOS

2014 Mac Mini - 2.6 Ghz dual core Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, macOS Sierra/macOS Server

2016 15" MacBook Pro - 2.9 Ghz quad core Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, macOS High Sierra

Windows

2014 15.6" Acer R7-572 - 1.6 Ghz Core i5, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB mSATA, 512 GB SSD, Windows 10

iOS

2017 iPhone X - 256 GB, Verizon, iOS 11.x

2016 iPad Pro (12.9") - 256 GB, Verizon, iOS 11.x

Android 

2017 Amazon Fire HD 8 - 32 GB internal + 64 GB microSD, Fire OS 5.6 (=Android OS 5.x)

2017 Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 - 128 GB, Android OS 7.0

#3 Daniel Francis

Daniel Francis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts
  • Interests:Contemplative prayer, ecological stewardship, science-fiction, and cat herding are some of my interests.
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted Yesterday, 11:28 PM

I use sophos

-dan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users