Now that I'm back on a Mac, I'm not extremely worried about my Mac itself getting too much malware. I use Gatekeeper, only install Mac apps from reputable sources, am careful when browsing the web, and use FileVault, backup with Time Machine, and macOS Firewall and Little Snitch.
However, I am interested in keeping some form of basic antivirus software on my Mac to scan for especially Windows viruses to ensure I'm not unknowingly transmitting viruses to my Windows-using brethren.
Here are some of the options I have either used or are looking into, and I'd love to hear some feedback from people concerning them:
1. Malwarebytes: I used the basic edition of Malwarebytes in the Mac in the past. Seems the new version offers a free and paid version. I wasn't sure if I should go for the paid version.
2. Avast: I've used the free version of Avast in the past, but I'm leery that using a free product, am I sacrificing my privacy with it and am I "the product"? I've also had issues where Avast Proxy conflicted with Little Snitch.
3. Intego: I used them years ago in the past, and the product was always solid, but I wonder if it's overkill for my needs today.
4. Thirtyseven4: I've used them as well, and I like the fact it's affordable and from a Christian-based company. However, Thirtyseven4 for Mac is 32 Bit only at the moment, so I am concerned about if they'd have a 64 Bit version ready before the next major release of macOS (Thirtyseven4 is built on QuickHeal).
5. Kaspersky: I've heard a ton of good about Kaspersky, but I've also heard in the news about the whole Russian government/Kaspersky incident (although I know a lot of rumors travel around in the news). I also haven't back from Kaspersky yet when I messaged their sales team.
6. McAfee: I could signup for McAfee through T-Mobile on my T-Mobile bill which would be convenient, but when I messaged McAfee sales, they put me in touch with McAfee chat support, and they didn't seem to understand basic questions I had for them, so I have a bad vibe about them.
7: Webroot: I have an active Webroot license (through February) from Best Buy that was linked to my Surface Book. Webroot has already freed up the license and sent me over the info I need to download Webroot on my Mac and re-register the key (support was super fast). Scans are super fast as well.
Mainly I'm looking for basic antivirus, mainly to ensure I don't spread Windows viruses on, and something that won't tax my system performance too much.