Mithril

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,232 posts
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows

Posted 18 November 2017 - 10:15 AM

Hi ya,

I noticed the library module names yesterday. I was just comparing them with what you see in EI. What struck me yesterday was that the modules are arranged in the library in install order - at least that's what I think it is. I was thinking it would be good to be able to sort the library content alphabetically. Then I realized that I was looking only at module short names or acronyms and initialisms. So then I wondered if the plot is to get the full name like we have in EI into the library. The sorting thing would be nice but rather begs the larger question of future library organization in general. The other thing I'd like eventually is more like the desktop though I understand that's not even close to a v1.0 priority.

Thoughts, comments ?

Thx

D

Edited by דָנִיאֶל, 18 November 2017 - 10:16 AM.

Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua

ἡ μόνη ἀγαθὴ γλῶσσα γλῶσσα νεκρὰ ἐστιν

lišanu ēdēnitu damqitu lišanu mītu

"Du stammst vom Herrn Adam und der Herrin Eva ab", sagte Aslan. "Und das ist zugleich Ehre genug, um das Häupt des ärmsten Bettlers zu erheben, und genug, um die Schultern des größten Kaisers auf Erden zu beugen. Sei zufrieden." Aslan, Die Chroniken von Narnia, Prinz Kaspian von Narnia. CS Lewis. Übersetzt von Wolfgang Holbein und Christian Rendel.

Accordance Configurations :

Mac : 2009 27" iMac                 Windows : MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro laptop
      Intel Core Duo                          Intel i7 Kabylake
      12GB RAM                                16GB RAM
      Accordance 11.2.4 and 12                Accordance 12
      OSX 10.11 (Yosemite)                    Win 10 Home x64

#2 Scott M

Scott M

Gold

• Accordance
  • 278 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 18 November 2017 - 12:22 PM

I don't have an answer, but the question of code vs. full title is a good one, when it comes to alphabetization. In other places (drop lists to change version, etc.) the codes are used, so I guess I'd lean that way. No point in having one order in the Library (full title) and codes in others, I'd guess?

Internally, on startup it is loading the modules in install order, populating various lists from that install order from a persisted settings file. I don't know how nasty it would be to adjust this, in terms of possible bug propagation. It probably wouldn't be so bad from a startup standpoint, but once one installs (or removes) from the Library, the other places (some controls already on the screen) would need to all get themselves resorted. I imagine any changes might introduce bugs and side effects. Not to say it wouldn't be worthwhile, just that it isn't quite as simple as it might appear.

Alpha order is preferable to a request during the alpha test stage, where someone wanted to rearrange to their own particular orders, which involves even more UX related code and testing. That, for V1.0, is probably a bridge too far.

• דָנִיאֶל likes this

#3 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Mithril

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,232 posts
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows

Posted 18 November 2017 - 09:59 PM

All good points.

I know some people like to organize their modules in a particular order so that find things ready to hand at the top as it were. And of course Accordance amplify pays (or used to pay) attention to that as a way to the select amplify target. But I tend to prefer alphabetical so I can readily find stuff. Of course searching sort of obviates that in certain cases. So I don't need support for arbitrary order really.

I can see the utility of the codes but search the library by the module's full name rather than code is probably helpful. Though then presenting a list of only codes would perhaps be a bit confusing and not especially helpful if none actually match the entered search.

Overall this sounds like a not-for-v1.0 and await a little more input kind of thing to see which way it is worth trying to jump given the possible consequences and the work involved.  Certainly it's no great drama for me now.

Thx

D

• Scott M likes this

Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua

ἡ μόνη ἀγαθὴ γλῶσσα γλῶσσα νεκρὰ ἐστιν

lišanu ēdēnitu damqitu lišanu mītu

"Du stammst vom Herrn Adam und der Herrin Eva ab", sagte Aslan. "Und das ist zugleich Ehre genug, um das Häupt des ärmsten Bettlers zu erheben, und genug, um die Schultern des größten Kaisers auf Erden zu beugen. Sei zufrieden." Aslan, Die Chroniken von Narnia, Prinz Kaspian von Narnia. CS Lewis. Übersetzt von Wolfgang Holbein und Christian Rendel.

Accordance Configurations :

Mac : 2009 27" iMac                 Windows : MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro laptop
      Intel Core Duo                          Intel i7 Kabylake
      12GB RAM                                16GB RAM
      Accordance 11.2.4 and 12                Accordance 12
      OSX 10.11 (Yosemite)                    Win 10 Home x64

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users