• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,240 posts
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows

Posted 18 November 2017 - 10:41 PM

Hi ya,

Acc 12.1.44.

When I open a parallel pane I am not presented with a list of candidates that are appropriate for use in parallel with the current text. In the desktop app I am. Now I would be happy enough if the second pane was either a parallel or a second tab. I could for example see having it function as a text and a lexicon each in one what the desktop app would consider a zone or a tab. Or in another case have it function as a true parallel. I don't know if this fix the model or whether these thoughts are of any use but here they are.

But at present I believe it is supposed to operate as a parallel. In that case it seems that there are two issues :

1. as mentioned above the list of candidates contains every module, and in fact you can open any one of them. But where the text does not make sense as a parallel - so AF-T in parallel with ESVS it would make sense to turn off the linked icon. Now I did see this happen I think after the app opened from scratch at one point then I tried, but often the panes are linked. In such cases I guess the icon is just in the wrong state because the panes do scroll linked together because of course they cannot.

2. Normally on the desktop app when I open a parallel it opens at the verse the first pane is showing. The app doesn't do this consistently. It seems to remember where it was in a text and open there, despite the fact that the linked icon is lit. Of course a quick swipe in either pane will sync them up if they are compatible.

Open some English Tool - doesn't matter which - maybe Easton - just trying to clear out texts before the test.

Then open a text - say ESVS

Then hit the parallel button

In my case right now ASV

Now ESVS is on Gen 1:1, ASV is at Ex 13:13 and the linked icon is lit. - In your case it might not be - they might be in sync - they will after a reinstall. If they are scroll a bit so you are no longer at Gen 1:1 and panes will be in sync. Then open ESVS from the library and then reopen the parallel and now they will show the discrepancy

I just noticed though that the app appears to be remembering the position of parallel texts. So if I open a text from the library it opens at the top. But if open the same text in parallel it opens where it was last located when used in a parallel. I wonder if this is to permit restoring state in the event of app shutdown when in parallel pane mode.

Thx
D

Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua

ἡ μόνη ἀγαθὴ γλῶσσα γλῶσσα νεκρὰ ἐστιν

lišanu ēdēnitu damqitu lišanu mītu

"Du stammst vom Herrn Adam und der Herrin Eva ab", sagte Aslan. "Und das ist zugleich Ehre genug, um das Häupt des ärmsten Bettlers zu erheben, und genug, um die Schultern des größten Kaisers auf Erden zu beugen. Sei zufrieden." Aslan, Die Chroniken von Narnia, Prinz Kaspian von Narnia. CS Lewis. Übersetzt von Wolfgang Holbein und Christian Rendel.

Accordance Configurations :

Mac : 2009 27" iMac                 Windows : MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro laptop
      Intel Core Duo                          Intel i7 Kabylake
      12GB RAM                                16GB RAM
      Accordance 11.2.4 and 12                Accordance 12
      OSX 10.11 (Yosemite)                    Win 10 Home x64

#2 Scott M

Scott M

Gold

• Accordance
  • 278 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:33 AM

I just noticed though that the app appears to be remembering the position of parallel texts. So if I open a text from the library it opens at the top. But if open the same text in parallel it opens where it was last located when used in a parallel. I wonder if this is to permit restoring state in the event of app shutdown when in parallel pane mode.

Thx
D

Yes, the app is attempting to restore the last known good starting points. I haven't looked at this code in a while, but startup is an issue, as is transition between pane types. For example, if you are using one two pane view and try to switch to the alternative two pane view, the app tries to preserve the prior two pane views in terms of content and location. Similarly, if you transition from a single pane view of a text, the app tries to preserve that text (if it is a text) and position, as well as to remember the last used 2nd pane view's contents (text or tool).

So it is trying to help users seamlessly transition between these views types, to the extend possible.

The app does not attempt, at this point in time, to limit choices. That is, you can put a Hebrew OT text next to a GNT text, or some other NT tool.

Essentially:

1. When you are in single pane view, you can view pretty much anything that we support (text or tool, and within tool, reference or not).

2. When you are in dual pane view, you can *only* have a text in the first pane, and the second pane is restricted to texts or reference tools only. But there is, at present, no further 2nd pane restriction to testament or corpus.

3. When you are in dual pane view, searches are *only* conducted on the text in the first pane.

4. No attempt is presently made to prohibit locking views of nonsensical content combinations.

I suppose more refinement is possible and will likely come. The balance comes in, in the context of a V1.0, is how much time should be spent putting up guardrails that may or may not need to be moved or further modified later, and which may or may not introduce side effects.  

Personally, not that my opinion matters all that much, I tend towards a 'laissez faire' approach, where nonsensical situations are not entirely prohibited, instead relying upon the good sense of the user. But I can see where others might (and probably will) disagree.

#3 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Mithril

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,240 posts
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows

Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:00 PM

Thanx for the detailed response Scott.

I agree, that too many guardrails can be a problem, and particularly if put in too soon, though they can be removed more easily than added - but it's worked that just might not need to be done. The ones that prevent data corruption and errors are helpful of course. The one downside to not limiting the list right now is that the list can be long if you have a lot of texts, and many can be irrelevant. Again not a huge issue.

But I can definitely see waiting on doing anything about this.

One thing that might be worth considering, when the time comes, is the option of explicitly permitting the second pane to act like a second tab rather than a parallel pane, and thus allowing a greater variety of resources to be opened there, like the example I mentioned of text and lexicon. Of course there are a swag of issues to consider in doing such a thing - and until amplify exists it's harder to see the imperative.

Thx

D

• Scott M likes this

Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua

ἡ μόνη ἀγαθὴ γλῶσσα γλῶσσα νεκρὰ ἐστιν

lišanu ēdēnitu damqitu lišanu mītu

"Du stammst vom Herrn Adam und der Herrin Eva ab", sagte Aslan. "Und das ist zugleich Ehre genug, um das Häupt des ärmsten Bettlers zu erheben, und genug, um die Schultern des größten Kaisers auf Erden zu beugen. Sei zufrieden." Aslan, Die Chroniken von Narnia, Prinz Kaspian von Narnia. CS Lewis. Übersetzt von Wolfgang Holbein und Christian Rendel.

Accordance Configurations :

Mac : 2009 27" iMac                 Windows : MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro laptop
      Intel Core Duo                          Intel i7 Kabylake
      12GB RAM                                16GB RAM
      Accordance 11.2.4 and 12                Accordance 12
      OSX 10.11 (Yosemite)                    Win 10 Home x64

#4 Scott M

Scott M

Gold

• Accordance
  • 278 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 20 November 2017 - 06:39 PM

One thing that might be worth considering, when the time comes, is the option of explicitly permitting the second pane to act like a second tab rather than a parallel pane, and thus allowing a greater variety of resources to be opened there, like the example I mentioned of text and lexicon. Of course there are a swag of issues to consider in doing such a thing - and until amplify exists it's harder to see the imperative.

Thx

D

Once upon a time, it actually did something like that. I could see scenarios where you want two lexicons open, a lexicon and a Bible dictionary, etc. But that introduced issues, which resulted, at least for now, in the more limited 2 pane approaches outlined above.

But for sure, corruptions and crashes are the main focus, we can't have that.

It'll all get sorted out by V3.5. 

• דָנִיאֶל likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users