Photo

Adding just one, which WBC volume do You suggest that has f.e. a Catholic or an Anglican author?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Unix

Unix

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Twitter:mcyklist
  • Location:inter/multidisciplinary humanities such as History of Ideas; singing; both Reformed and Catholic simultaneously
  • Interests:monographs, Hebrew, Epigraphic Hebrew inscriptions, books with a bit of occurrences of Latin words, Christian "Gnosticism", Polish National Faith (Rodnovery), (Environmental and a bit of Ethnological) History as well as that I've recently renewed interest in Architectural History and more modern Cultural History /Aug. 2. 2017 + veganism and organically/locally produced food, skincare and fragrant oil products just as treats and needed in fine culture participation/creation; particular interest in texts copyrighted 1952-2010; christianforums.com; CPU preference and recommendation: AMD anything but E2; Scrivener as both Win and Mac versions early June 2015, HDDRegenerator.net on July 17. 2015. /Edited June 5. 2018 Now I've installed 12 on the desktop on Dec. 31. 2017
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Windows

Posted 21 November 2017 - 02:17 PM

Right now I'm putting so much money into a nice piece of furniture and have been buying printed matter, that I can only afford one volume.
I have WBC mostly elsewhere, but which volume should I add under Accordance?

I was thinking perhaps a volume by a Catholic or an Anglican. Roland Murphy and John Nolland are two such authors, are there more?

I have for example the two Hebrews volumes both in print and under Accordance, and the Romans (by Dunn) volumes in print.

Is it wortwhile to get the remaining Lk volume by Nolland (the last of the three volumes) which I otherwise only have under a software which is not by far as advanced and under which I don't have BDAG?

I would seriously consider also volumes by authors from other denominations if those volumes have some special merits.

Which books of the Bible do You suggest that it's particularly important to cover? And another question: For which books of the Bible has there been significant development in scholarship very recently?

Please SEE THIS recent LINK about Bible versions: https://www.christia...curate.7926578/ ... I use Confraternity Version a lot (both OT and NT). Exceptions/changes: Beck 1976 for GJn 8:32, 2004 GNT 3rd Ed. UK-English for Dt, NIV11-GKE for Isa also as a print journaling Bible; and I've added NIV78UK to regular use as well as NASB71 and 72 - these largely instead o the NIV84, RSV and NASB77. Additional versions I now both have and use: 1958 Westminster Version, 1985 NJB (two copies of which I like the older typesetting), 1970 NEB (in a four version parallel Bible), 1989 REB (beater HCs and white leather). (I recommend also a FB group for The Real Douay-Rheims 1610/1582 (purchasable from lulu.com))
NPP and English translations and commentaries as well as as a bit about learning the original languages: https://www.christia...posts/72219172/
Commentaries I both have and recommend as I don't regret my purchases - for the most part unspecified regarding which platform: https://community.lo...795.aspx#830795
I think the best Accordance base is to buy HALOT (and BDAG) used, and then upgrade to Hebrew Pro. I have never bought a Collection with actual content but am holding on to the working configuration I have so far and am going to buy version 13 Hebrew Pro. /decided on Apr. 6. 2018:
acchebrewpro.without.versionnumber.jpg
I'm growing only my Accordance and print libraries (EDIT March 28. 2018: I now really have quit altogether placing new orders elsewhere) and printed matter nowadays only through the sites biblio and alibris. In fact I occasionally duplicate things, depending on price. I don't buy Collections/base-packages at all, to me an OK print library is a Collection/base-package and is bragging-rights, a mid-size Collection would not be!! I have the Urantia Book now, rebound in leather and would read it together with someone. Books copyrighted in the most recent Years (2011 and later) have to be truly exceptional for me to buy them - this is a strategy I'm going to stick to - I do buy newer books but they are among the expensive purchases. I very rarely have to add any lexicons or Bible Dictionaries, I access them wherever, under Accordance I have bought HALOT and BDAG used and am subscribing to the DCH in print revised Edition. Otherwise I prefer BAGD actually which I have under L6.9. The best One-Volume Bible commentary is Oxford Bible Commentary.
NAB70 OT and L6 functionality including Chineze (which I don't speak/read) under spare account.
The Oxford Bible Commentary under other one pretty large current account that is the one I actually use. /Oct. 16. 2017 Edited Jan. 14. 2018. 

yesterday was 2 years since I returned from an archaeological trip to Turkey. /Apr 16. 2016 A bit of interest in Akkadian or Babylonian. /Apr. 2016
The toughest computer I have is: 8GB W7 i3 3110m 3rd gen Ivy Bridge (since it's W7 Professional and huge battery that actually can be gripped while carrying it open + a second "slice" battery) - on which I have Accordance 10, 1TB SSD of which only a small fraction is filled. | Until 1½ Years ago I had: 8GB W10 AMD FX-7600P (since it's AMD:s best laptop CPU - I LOVE and recommend only AMD). Now I have a new 12 GB laptop with a Q2 2017 AMD CPU equipped with single thread rating 1400 http://cykeltaxi.se/...re.i3-3110M.pdf
 My desktop has the excellent value for money G2030 CPU Ivy Bridge - it's the one on which I have Accordance 12 Starter installed, suitable amount of RAM. /March 28. 2018

For satetite commuting a very old laptop just for emailing, dating sites, browsing for gear and tools for my Sole trader firm but not for Bible Study softwares, with graphics driver last version from 2009, Core 2 Extreme CPU, 4GB RAM (maxed), SSD 128 GB, three very old batteries.

Relevant and representative Facebook: https://www.facebook...100009160762403 (see also my more seldom updated Twitter). /signature abreviated June 16. 2018, amended Sept. 2. 2018, slightly more details Sept. 18.

#2 Daniel Francis

Daniel Francis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts
  • Interests:Contemplative prayer, ecological stewardship, science-fiction, and cat herding are some of my interests.
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 21 November 2017 - 02:57 PM

Volume 10: 1 Samuel

Volume 14: 1 Chronicles
are both done by lutherans.....

David J.A. Clines  I wasn't able to determine his affiliation but his work on Job was wonderful.

John E. Goldingay is of course an Anglican Priest.

-da

Edited by Daniel Francis, 21 November 2017 - 02:58 PM.

#3 Unix

Unix

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Location:inter/multidisciplinary humanities such as History of Ideas; singing; both Reformed and Catholic simultaneously
  • Interests:monographs, Hebrew, Epigraphic Hebrew inscriptions, books with a bit of occurrences of Latin words, Christian "Gnosticism", Polish National Faith (Rodnovery), (Environmental and a bit of Ethnological) History as well as that I've recently renewed interest in Architectural History and more modern Cultural History /Aug. 2. 2017 + veganism and organically/locally produced food, skincare and fragrant oil products just as treats and needed in fine culture participation/creation; particular interest in texts copyrighted 1952-2010; christianforums.com; CPU preference and recommendation: AMD anything but E2; Scrivener as both Win and Mac versions early June 2015, HDDRegenerator.net on July 17. 2015. /Edited June 5. 2018 Now I've installed 12 on the desktop on Dec. 31. 2017

Posted 21 November 2017 - 03:52 PM

I have 1 Chron as printed matter. I've actually been considering 1 Sam under Accordance

On second thought (now that I just made a phone call to FL to check on a matter) I could stretch to buying a two-volume set (I had forgot many of the WBC-volumes are bundled like that) or perhaps two individual volumes.

But the WBC Job set is too big, I can neither ever afford it nor comprehend it, so far I've been satisfied with the Anchor -volume from the '60s which I also have in print besides here, and I've newly aquired OTL.

Btw I of course have both HALOT and BDAG bought used as individual volumes, in one go together with a few other books Years ago in a swap where I got rid of some FL books.

The Ecclesiastes volume by Murphy is cheap, does it have an amount of nontransliterated original languages so that it would be a good fit to have under Accordance?

How good is the Ruth and Esther -volume by Bush? Is it on the very technical side? Closer to two decades elapsed without that I read Esther, so I read it recently in the 1750 Douai translation. Would the WBC volume perhaps be overkill?

On third though, instead of getting two volumes under Aoccordance right now, would it be better for me to pre-order the print Edition of the new Numbers 2nd Edition by Frank Gorman which is scheduled to be release on Nov. 30. and in Edition to that get just one Accordance volume this evening?: https://www.bookdepo...96904467&sr=1-1
Someone I know whom I've just started talking with a little, likes Craig A. Evans, so it might be worthwhile getting the volume on Mk 8:27-16:20 - the volume would complement what I have but I wonder if it's too similar to the NIGTC -volume by R. T. France (I have that latter set under both Accordance and WS but not any print volumes from it):

Volume 10: 1 Samuel

Volume 14: 1 Chronicles
are both done by lutherans.....

David J.A. Clines  I wasn't able to determine his affiliation but his work on Job was wonderful

#4 Ιακοβ

Ιακοβ

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  • Interests:Studying MDiv. Greek. Hebrew.
  • Accordance Version:11.x

Posted 21 November 2017 - 05:06 PM

Regarding your suggestion that you would prefer a commentary from an author of a particular denomination, I would like to take a minute to challenge that idea just a little bit.

Personally, I feel a commentary is better when it exposes you all of the different points of view regarding a book, chapter, verse, and then fairly assesses the various viewpoints. When an author is just espousing what you already believe, all that is occurring is an affirmation of what you already believe. When an author is writing something you disagree with it forces you to really think about an issue and to dig deeper.  

What do you think?

My top 5 feature requests:
  1. 15pt font size for reading text (bible, journal articles, commentaries, etc...)
  2. Improved searching for Journal articles. (So we can search for journal article by verse + english text)
  3. Display Journal titles in journal search results. (Imagine a google search where you saw the page text but no headings?)
  4. Improved greek text search—i.e. allow searching of all greek text the same way you would search LXX+NT, i.e. LXX+NT+ApocFathers+etc...
  5. Phrase (sympathetic) highlighting.

#5 Unix

Unix

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 05:36 PM

I have a fair amount of commentaries by authors I disagree with, both because I've gone through some conversions, and because some came with FL base-packages and many with full sets. One of the recent purchases I made was the 1 Cor commentary by Fee who is a Pentecostal, Under Accordance, 2014 Edition. Also yesterday I bought seven volumes from the Complete Biblical Library -series in print, mint shape: Genesis, Matthew, Mark, Gospel of John, Acts, Romans-Corinthians, Galatians-Philemon - I haven't checked from which denomination each author comes but I suspect most are neither Catholic nor Anglican. (I have that entire set since before under WS but not currently installed on any computer).
Additionally I have the entire Exegetical Summaries -series (I only have a few volumes under FL's platforms), only one of the volumes I have also in print. A couple of sets I've been happy to purchase almost in their entirety even though they contain some volumes by authors I disagree with either because of the denomination they belonged to or that they are too liberal (or too conservative) or something else: AYBC/AYBRL and OTL/NTL. I even have some:print volumes from these series that are not offered under Accordance, and I very accurately predicted some OTL and NTL volumes to never be produced digitally under any platform and started ordering in print before Accordance even released anything:

Regarding your suggestion that you would prefer a commentary from an author of a particular denomination, I would like to take a minute to challenge that idea just a little bit.

Personally, I feel a commentary is better when it exposes you all of the different points of view regarding a book, chapter, verse, and then fairly assesses the various viewpoints. When an author is just espousing what you already believe, all that is occurring is an affirmation of what you already believe. When an author is writing something you disagree with it forces you to really think about an issue and to dig deeper.  

What do you think?

• Ιακοβ likes this

#6 Ιακοβ

Ιακοβ

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  • Interests:Studying MDiv. Greek. Hebrew.
  • Accordance Version:11.x

Posted 21 November 2017 - 05:48 PM

I find Fee's writings on Paul very helpful, especially his "God's Empowering Presence" (Thats basically a compilation of all of his commentary notes) as he provides a scholarly level of engagement representing pentecostal views. And its clear he is not denominationally biassed, as he doesn't appear to hesitate to disagree with Pentecostal views, even a few that would technically disqualify you from being a card holding AOG minister (which I believe he continued to hold through his career).

• Unix likes this
My top 5 feature requests:
  1. 15pt font size for reading text (bible, journal articles, commentaries, etc...)
  2. Improved searching for Journal articles. (So we can search for journal article by verse + english text)
  3. Display Journal titles in journal search results. (Imagine a google search where you saw the page text but no headings?)
  4. Improved greek text search—i.e. allow searching of all greek text the same way you would search LXX+NT, i.e. LXX+NT+ApocFathers+etc...
  5. Phrase (sympathetic) highlighting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users