Kevin Grasso

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Windows

Posted Yesterday, 01:57 PM

Hi all,

I am new to Accordance, and I am hoping to use it on a search I would like to perform on the Biblical Hebrew syntax database. I am trying to find all of the verbs that have "argument alternations". Here is an example from English:

"Jim is eating"

"Jim is eating apples"

Essentially, I need to specify something like the following: all verbs with an optional complement.

Does anyone know the best way to do this? What would be ideal for my purposes is if Accordance could spit me out a list of roots with these alternations. That seems like a lot to ask for, but it would be nice if it could be done.

It would also be great to find all verbs that alternate between prepositions in their complements, e.g. האמין ב\ל, and all verbs that alternate between one and two objects. I don't know how this would be done, since it seems like all of these would simply be labelled "complement".

Finally, I guess this is a question for Robert Holmstedt, but does anyone know the method for distinguishing between complements and adjuncts? I know this is a debatable topic in general linguistics, but I am just wondering why, for example, בגוים is treated as a complement rather than an adjunct in Psalm 110:6 when every other occurrence of דין has a DO marked with את (or unmarked). In English, you can see the difference in "He will judge the nations" vs. "?He will judge among the nations" (latter sentence sounds funny in English, but you get the point).

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks in advance for the help!

Kevin

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hebrew Syntax, Hebrew

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users