the "Word" was taken from "the Greek word"

PeterPhil

Please see below statement(copy and paste from a blog)

My question is: how and where in ACCORDANCE can I find the root words, where it come from etc of a greek word?

>>>

And grieve not the holy Spirit of God,

whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

— Ephesians 4:30

Eph 4:30 “grieve”this word was taken from the Greek word

lupete. This surprised me, because the word lupete is from the

word lupe, which denotes a pain or grief that can only be

experienced between two people who deeply love each other.

This word lupe would normally be used to picture a husband

or wife who has discovered his or her mate has been unfaithful.

I've never heard of λυπεω being restricted to this one sense. BDAG does not state this specific usage, nor does LSJ. That said, such a use would be within it's range of meaning.

I would think an expository dictionary would help if you are not comfortable in Greek. There are a couple in Acc. - either Mounce's or Renn. Vines would work but it's not in Acc. But I checked my hardcopy and it doesn't cite infidelity as a cause for this kind of pain either.

Thx

D

PeterPhil,

I'm not sure exactly what you were looking for, but maybe you just want to see an interlinear in Accordance and hover over the words or click on them? If so, you can check the help files for "interlinear."

Hope that helps,
Eric

But be careful, a word gets its meaning (partly) by its context.

BDAG: "The object of lupei√n can also be a deity (Diod. S. 1, 65, 7; 8 to\n qeo/n; schol. on Apollon. Rhod. 2, 313 l. to\n Di÷a; cp. tou\ aÓgge÷louß mou ApcSed 14:10) mh\ lupei√te to\ pneuvma to\ a‚gion touv qeouv Eph 4:30;"

lupw is not specific to a deep personal relationship. Not in the least. 

Word studies are fine, but you've got to get a broad scope of the word's usage. Not just NT, but greek OT and extra biblical/secular literature, too. If you're really interested in this, it would be worth your money to invest in BDAG and the new NIDNTTE, which is linked to keyed texts. BDAG is not, but you can get the greek word from a keyed text and then search it in BDAG. There are numerous other good lexicons (not least, LSJ) but these will get you going. 

I'm assuming the blue text is your notes? I ask because you won't find what you need searching lupete. Lupete is inflected and you need to search the lexical form (generally first person singular, although some grammars etc use the infinitive form).Are you using a keyed text? If not, that's the first step. That will show you, generally, the underlying greek. You can also use the interlinear feature, but it's somewhat problematic. Not due to accordance but just the nature of interlinears.