Mithril

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,377 posts
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows

Posted 04 December 2017 - 11:11 PM

Hey ya,

Strictly this belongs in an Android forum but for now ....

As part of my ongoing investigation of the use of Android for 'real' work I got a USB OTG cable and plugged a USB keyboard into my tablet and my phone. Basically works and it's more secure than Bluetooth. But there are some hitches.

1. Anybody know of a decent word processor on Android that can properly compose documents with Ancient Greek and Hebrew ? I am playing with AndroOpen Office which can totally open Libreoffice files and that's cool, but it's not having a ton of fun composing it's own content.

2. I am using the AGK Ancient Greek Keyboard which works ok from the soft keyboard and in composition in things like GMail it's fine. But not in AOO. Any other keyboards anyone has found ? I am hoping to avoid having to write one of my own :)

3. Hebrew ? Any favorites ? I haven't tried yet but as I'm getting further than I expected I'll probably try Hebrew Nikkud Keyboard

I probably need to look at the Galaxy 9 and DEX if I'm serious about this but for now these experiments will hopefully show me a bit of what's possible.

For the curious, Accordance can accept typed input from a keyboard like this. But you can't do it all from the keyboard. So for example a search in BDAG : I can enter the word on the keyboard but I cannot tab to the SEARCH element to actually execute the search, though I can tab to the pull down menus and options. In EI I can type in a search and tab about even into the list but I cannot select the items. So it's back to the phone/tablet to select them. When I tab to the download button there is no visible change but if I tab just once from the search box I am there because hitting enter begins the downloads. @Scott, I'm sure this is not a substantial or common use case but tossing it out there.

I haven't tried a Bluetooth keyboard but I would expect similar results.

Thx

D

Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua

ἡ μόνη ἀγαθὴ γλῶσσα γλῶσσα νεκρὰ ἐστιν

lišanu ēdēnitu damqitu lišanu mītu

"Du stammst vom Herrn Adam und der Herrin Eva ab", sagte Aslan. "Und das ist zugleich Ehre genug, um das Häupt des ärmsten Bettlers zu erheben, und genug, um die Schultern des größten Kaisers auf Erden zu beugen. Sei zufrieden." Aslan, Die Chroniken von Narnia, Prinz Kaspian von Narnia. CS Lewis. Übersetzt von Wolfgang Holbein und Christian Rendel.

Accordance Configurations :

Mac : 2009 27" iMac                 Windows : MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro laptop
      Intel Core Duo                          Intel i7 Kabylake
      12GB RAM                                16GB RAM
      Accordance 11.2.4 and 12                Accordance 12
      OSX 10.11 (Yosemite)                    Win 10 Home x64

#2 Michel Gilbert

Michel Gilbert

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • Interests:heritage homes, antiques, gardens, fresh food, good coffee, live music, ויין אשר ישמח לבב אנוש (Ps 104,15)
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:49 AM

Hey Daniel,

Word processors: Word and iA Writer are the only two I've found that can do English, Greek, and Hebrew with vowels and accents. TextMaker does English, Greek, and Hebrew consonants. It is amazingly full featured for Android, and since I rarely use vowels and accents on my phone, I do use TextMaker with the system Israeli keyboard.

Keyboards: On the rare occasions when I do use vowels or accents, I use Word with Keyman for vowels, the Ancient Hebrew Phonetic keyboard, and Unicode Pad for accents, etc. I have to leave Word for both, and copy and paste, but it's so rare it doesn't matter to me. Keyman has Greek Polytonic Unicode also.

If you have/ever get a device with an Intel chip, you can try Crossover for Android and load LO.

I'm interested in DEX. Keep us posted if you do, on Android Acumen.

If you developed the Ezra SIL keyboard, I would buy it in the Play Store.

Regards,

Michel

• דָנִיאֶל likes this

Accordance 12.2.2 & 2.6.2

Mac mini, High Sierra, 10.13.2
   iPad mini, 11.2.2

Android beta, 0.73

Huawei, Android 6.0.1

#3 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Mithril

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,377 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:06 AM

Thanx Michel.

iA Writer looks promising - getting good composition using AGK. Hebrew seems to work - very small experiment quickly - with the Hebrew Nikkkud keyboard. I'll try the others.

Regarding Word I am assuming it's a Cloud based Word like 365 is it ?

Also, do you use an external keyboard - bluetooth or otherwise ? I'm unsure yet how much content generation I can comfortably do on such devices as these.

Oh and given you are using several different wordprocessors are you cutting and pasting content from one to the other, or can they convert the relevant formats ? EDIT: I see that TextMaker can deal directly with Word - looks really good.

Thx

D

Edited by דָנִיאֶל, 05 December 2017 - 10:11 AM.

"Du stammst vom Herrn Adam und der Herrin Eva ab", sagte Aslan. "Und das ist zugleich Ehre genug, um das Häupt des ärmsten Bettlers zu erheben, und genug, um die Schultern des größten Kaisers auf Erden zu beugen. Sei zufrieden." Aslan, Die Chroniken von Narnia, Prinz Kaspian von Narnia. CS Lewis. Übersetzt von Wolfgang Holbein und Christian Rendel.

#4 Michel Gilbert

Michel Gilbert

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • Interests:heritage homes, antiques, gardens, fresh food, good coffee, live music, ויין אשר ישמח לבב אנוש (Ps 104,15)

Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:33 AM

Hey again,

I can save Word documents on my device.

TextMaker can open just about any file from the past 20 years, and boasts it has the best .docx compatibility. I use it on my phone, in Linux, and rarely in Windows, with Dropbox, and yes, it copies and pastes into any other program. Its kerning issues in Linux and Windows with Hebrew vowels and accents disappear when you copy and paste into another program like Word, etc.

I don't use an external keyboard on my phone. I'm interested in DEX and Linux because I do real work on my iPad via RD on my LAN, with its keyboard and a mouse, and I think that DEX/Linux with a monitor, keyboard, and mouse would be even better. Then I wouldn't have to deal with the slight lag with the mouse.

Regards,

Michel

• דָנִיאֶל likes this

Accordance 12.2.2 & 2.6.2

Mac mini, High Sierra, 10.13.2
   iPad mini, 11.2.2

Android beta, 0.73

Huawei, Android 6.0.1

#5 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 3,166 posts
  • Twitter:@thislamp

Posted 05 December 2017 - 11:40 AM

This is a good, informative thread.

I'm interested in Dex, too. Is there any way to get it to work on a device like my Samsung Galaxy Tab S3?

Rick Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

Accordance Bible Software

Gear for Running Accordance:

macOS

2014 Mac Mini - 2.6 Ghz dual core Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, macOS Sierra/macOS Server

2016 15" MacBook Pro - 2.9 Ghz quad core Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, macOS High Sierra

Windows

2014 15.6" Acer R7-572 - 1.6 Ghz Core i5, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB mSATA, 512 GB SSD, Windows 10 Pro

iOS

2017 iPhone X - 256 GB, Verizon, iOS 11.x

2016 iPad Pro (12.9") - 256 GB, Verizon, iOS 11.x

Android 

2017 Amazon Fire HD 8 - 32 GB internal + 64 GB microSD, Fire OS 5.6 (=Android OS 5.x)

2017 Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 - 128 GB internal, Android OS 7.0

2017 Blu Grand M - 8 GB internal + 64 GB microSD, Android OS 6.0

#6 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Mithril

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,377 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 03:16 PM

I think DEX on decent size tablet would be great, particularly if it does dual-screen. But as far as I can tell its Galaxy S8/S8+ and Note 8 only. Maybe the future Tab S4 or whatever it will be called will have it.

Thx

D

#7 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Mithril

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,377 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 11:12 PM

I tried opening a LibreOffice file which contained a Greek quote from Acc in TextMaker (the freebie version). The doc opened fine but the quote was blank. Is is only the pay for version that handles it ?

OK it was a font problem.

Making progress with Keyman and TextMaker. It can do some Greek accents.

Didn't initially realise iA Writer was md.

Cool - got the Accordance font working in TextMaker. It's fine for Greek and English. Hebrew is ok unpointed. TM doesn't appear to do RTL really and the pointing is offset a char to the right.

thx
D

Edited by דָנִיאֶל, 06 December 2017 - 01:21 AM.

#8 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Mithril

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,377 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:40 PM

I think pre-DEX what we want is an MHL/OTG hub. Such do exist and are compatible with earlier Samsung gear like Note phones and Galaxies and so on. But the TAB S3 is not compatible with them according a post on the Samsung forums. Also there is speculation that Samsung is moving away from MHL https://us.community...-USB/td-p/86347. If this is correct I suspect DEX is the reason. That unfortunately may mean that TAB S3 falls in that unfortunate gap between MHL and S3.

I might see if I can hook up my Note III to a MHL hub and see how that goes.

#9 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 3,166 posts
  • Twitter:@thislamp

Posted 06 December 2017 - 03:34 PM

The Tab S3 has a USB-C port for charging and connectivity. However, it doesn't transfer video out--neither HDMI nor VGA. Built-in wireless screensharing only works with Samsung TVs. What this means is that Samsung has hobbled the device on purpose in hopes that you'll buy one of their TVs.

I had a really difficult time getting the screen to mirror but finally found a 3rd party solution that is working well and will allow future videos and webinars from the device. 

Rick Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

Accordance Bible Software

Gear for Running Accordance:

macOS

2014 Mac Mini - 2.6 Ghz dual core Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, macOS Sierra/macOS Server

2016 15" MacBook Pro - 2.9 Ghz quad core Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, macOS High Sierra

Windows

2014 15.6" Acer R7-572 - 1.6 Ghz Core i5, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB mSATA, 512 GB SSD, Windows 10 Pro

iOS

2017 iPhone X - 256 GB, Verizon, iOS 11.x

2016 iPad Pro (12.9") - 256 GB, Verizon, iOS 11.x

Android 

2017 Amazon Fire HD 8 - 32 GB internal + 64 GB microSD, Fire OS 5.6 (=Android OS 5.x)

2017 Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 - 128 GB internal, Android OS 7.0

2017 Blu Grand M - 8 GB internal + 64 GB microSD, Android OS 6.0

#10 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Mithril

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,377 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 04:31 PM

Glad you got it working. It does seem they are trying to tie people in more alas.

Tx

D

#11 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Mithril

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,377 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:47 PM

Ok to I got my Miracast dongle so now I have a somewhat clumsy 24" cell phone :

Attached File  ParallelNoteIIIsml.jpg   95KB   0 downloads

I need to try OTG with this but it's a start.

Of course you don't get any extra screen real estate but I don't need my glasses to read it :)

Thx

D

#12 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Mithril

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,377 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 11:30 PM

For those interested in this sort of thing a few details.

I bought a few bits :

micro USB to OTG cable

AnyCast Miracast dongle

female to female HDMI adapter

Had already a USB power brick that would drive the AnyCast, HDMI display and HDMI cable, USB mouse and keyboard

I was able to connect my phone to the AnyCast and thus drive my display as in the image above. Using the OTG cable I could connect either a keyboard or a mouse. I will need a USB hub to connect both a mouse and a keyboard and it may need to be a powered hub. I will get a hub and try it out but right now it's one or the other.

I finally stumbled upon a way to screencast from the Lenovo TAB4 and though it's not Miracast compliant the AnyCast device also exposes a Wifi direct path which the table can use.

Remaining issues :

1. Soft keyboard mappings are not producing Greek and Hebrew from the OTG keyboard despite the fact that the soft keyboard selected at the time will produce such characters. I need to examine what is going on here. I don't know what the issue is, but it's a bit of an obstacle for people who want this for OL, like ... well ... me.

2. Security - I am pretty unclear about Miracast and WiFi Direct security on this device. Wifi Direct can do WPA PSK which is good but I suspect that the cheapo is not easy to configure for this. And the doc is not especially great.

3. There is a mess of cables and adapters and docking and undocking is not the smoothest experience. It should come down to a single cable connection and then casting the screen, and probably an HDMI switch as I have laptop connected to the screen as well. So that's three steps and if I turn of the AnyCast when not in use that would be one more thing. This is why DEX is cool !

Is it worth it ?

If the OTG keyboard doing OL cannot be solved then probably not. If it can maybe ....

Thx

D

#13 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Mithril

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,377 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 12:58 AM

I noticed an interesting issue with the Keyman Keyboard. In searches in texts and modules you cannot just type a search word into the box and hit enter. Well you can but the search is not done. If you pop up the full search dialog and enter the search and hit the search button it does run. I played with this for a bit and realised the problem appears to be with the Keyman keyboard definition. It looks like other keyboards when operating against a search box actually render a search or spyglass key where enter normally is. Using such a keyboard you can start searches from the search box. Keyman's English keyboards, at least the ones I've tried, don't. They show a carriage return which is apparently not interpreted as start search.

Not sure if this is a bug in Accordance or not but Firefox and Ai Writer seem happy to process the return to start a search. I haven't looked at the Keyman keyboard def file setup in any detail to see what can be done there. Anyhow a note for anyone running into this.

Thx

D

#14 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Mithril

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,377 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 06:52 PM

So I finally found a docking station for my Note 3 phone. It actually does everything. It uses OTG to expose 3 USB ports so I can attach a keyboard and a mouse. It also use MHL to provide HDMI video. In addition it charges while the whole thing is connected and provides a cradle for the phone to sit in.

It's a Unitek MHL+OTG Smart Phone Dock for Samsung Note 2/3/4 and Galaxy S3 and S4. It costs about 16 dollars on Ebay.

I am typing this post on a full size keyboard while the phone is docked.

Thx
D
  • Michel Gilbert likes this

#15 SimpleTheist

SimpleTheist

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x
  • Platforms:Windows

Posted 17 December 2017 - 10:27 PM

The Tab S3 has a USB-C port for charging and connectivity. However, it doesn't transfer video out--neither HDMI nor VGA. Built-in wireless screensharing only works with Samsung TVs. What this means is that Samsung has hobbled the device on purpose in hopes that you'll buy one of their TVs.

I had a really difficult time getting the screen to mirror but finally found a 3rd party solution that is working well and will allow future videos and webinars from the device. 

I think Samsung doesn't do a lot to provide options to use other people's products choosing to instead focus on their own.I think this is probably true with all the Android phones, it would be a lot of work to make sure the phone is compatible with every tv. Of course the best part of Android is that if you have a problem, there is probably a program on the Play store with a solution. 

#16 SimpleTheist

SimpleTheist

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x
  • Platforms:Windows

Posted 17 December 2017 - 10:31 PM

One thing to keep in mind is that your phone, as well as your computer, needs a Greek font in order to display Greek characters. If you are trying to write in a word processor in Greek or Hebrew or any other language, make sure you have downloaded language support for that language, especially a font in order to display it.

I believe you can still download Microsoft Word for free for Android as well. I'm not sure about Keyboards though.

#17 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Mithril

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,377 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 10:53 PM

One thing to keep in mind is that your phone, as well as your computer, needs a Greek font in order to display Greek characters. If you are trying to write in a word processor in Greek or Hebrew or any other language, make sure you have downloaded language support for that language, especially a font in order to display it.

I believe you can still download Microsoft Word for free for Android as well. I'm not sure about Keyboards though.

I installed the Accordance font to sort this out in TextMaker. I wish they would sort out the system wide font installation issue though. It's a major pain - yes you can root the phone but that's just crazy for fonts. But TextMaker provides a public font installation location.

I think Samsung doesn't do a lot to provide options to use other people's products choosing to instead focus on their own.I think this is probably true with all the Android phones, it would be a lot of work to make sure the phone is compatible with every tv. Of course the best part of Android is that if you have a problem, there is probably a program on the Play store with a solution. 

I tend to think of the Android picture now as a lot like the Windows picture years ago, particularly when plug n play was plug n don't play more often than not. You end up doing a bunch of looking about to find out what works with what device. As you note there is very often someone else who has been there before.

Thx

D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users