Legend / Reference guide to the Greek tag abbreviations?

yak2by2

Hello, I just purchased the Greek tags and I'm a Greek 1 student in seminary.  Can someone give me or guide me to a legend or reference guide that writes out what each abbreviation stands for?  e.g. nt, ms, ptc, etc. 

If you are using the Instant Details for this information, you may choose to show full words instead of abbreviations. From the Preferences menu, choose Instant Details, and then check the appropriate box under the Greek and Hebrew section at the lower right side of the screen.

You will also find useful information if you search for "Greek Tag Code Tables" within the help system.

Maranatha,

Joseph

Edited by Solly
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi Joseph, I changed my preferences setting and am still getting the same abbreviations.  I'm referring to the "tag" line of the interlinear feature, using NA28 Greek NT.  It won't let me leave a screenshot, but an example is "3 sg pr ac ipr" under the word λανθανέτω in 2 Peter 3:8.  I need something that tells me what those abbreviations mean.  I know most of them that I see, but some I don't.  For example, I don't know what "ipr" in this one means.

I also typed "Greek Tag Code Tables" into the Help section and nothing came up. 

Make sure you have instant details active and you should see something in it like this as you hover  over λανθανέτω:

"λανθανέτω lanthanetō  λανθάνω  lanthanō  Verb third singular present active imperative  to forget, to hide (Predicate)

[NRSVS] G2990  ignore"

Make sure the use full words choice is selected in the Greek and Hebrew sections of the Preferences  —> Instant Details menu.

Embrace the Instant Details—by repetition you will begin to make sense of the abbreviations you see in the tag line of the interlinear text.

Maranatha,

Joseph

As Solly has said Instant details is your friend here. Also, check out the Accordance parsing tool with your Greek Tagged text or the beginning of your Greek dictionary (abbreviations are usually listed early in most dictionaries)

• Like 1

Michael, I forgot about the parsing tool! It is funny how we get so habitual with a particular workflow. Thanks for reminding us about the parsing tool.

—Joseph

Thanks you guys.  I'm tracking with the Parsing tool, and that's really helpful.  And I just figured out why Instant Details wasn't working for me: "click and hold"!  That was the key thing I was missing and I just saw it on the preferences window.  Thank you to you both!  Things will go much smoother and clearer for me now. 

The tags are pretty standard. As you spend some time with the language and the software, you'll pick it up in no time.