High Sierra Migration Assistant?

Julia Falling

Hey - My husband got a 512G SSD drive to upgrade the old drive in a 2011 13” MacBook Pro. He followed OWC’s (MacSales) directions and started by removing the old drive from the MBP and replacing it with the new SSD. The old drive was placed in an enclosure. With the now external platter drive connected to the MBP via a USB cable, he booted from the external drive and erased and reformatted the SSD using Disk Utility.

The migration (via Migration Assistant) has not gone well. He now thinks he’s got his files moved, but he’s having all sorts of problems. One is that he does not have access to Users > Library > Caches. We’ve changed permissions. This is all a pain to fix, and very time consuming.

Anyone else experience difficulties?

On the positive side, he was able to get Accordance running.

I'd boot from the old drive and use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the old drive to the new. Everything will work flawlessly after that. It's worth the time to avoid permission headaches, imo.

Edited by Mark Allison
  • Like 5

Super duper is what I have used in the past and therir beta is compatible

• Like 1

Like Mark, I've used CCC for this kind of upgrade and had great success. 

• Like 2

Thanks. This will probably have to be for future reference. I don't think he wants to start all over – again. If he discovers that things are still not right, it might be worth it!

Next time I replace a Mac, I don't think I want to go through what he has. It's been 4½ years since I've moved everything from one Mac (or one drive) to another. I don't remember having the kinds of problems Steve has had.

Edited by Julia Falling

I've used Super Duper and Carbon Copy Cloner interchangably and both work well.

Thanks. Very helpful.

The other annoyance is MS Office. It won’t take his key because he has supposedly installed on too many computers. He hasn’t. He has just upgraded the computers he has. MS must recognize the hardware changes. Anyway, he doesn’t t want to “upgrade” to a piece of expensive hardware with a never-ending subscription.

He called the MS number to get the mess straightened out. After entering a very, very long key, he got a recorded voice that offered no help, said good-bye” and hung up on him. Disgusted! He’s probably just going to switch to Pages/Numbers/Keynote.

And his new drive is 1T, not 512G.

For what it is worth, having recently switched BACK to Mac they are much more responsive to support needs than MS ever was or will be! Spending money with MS is long over for me. Glad to be back on the Mac!

Bob

I run Pages for page layout documents, plus I have Nisus Writer Pro and Mellel. Nisus Writer Pro is a good Word replacement, and Mellel is good too just a little more complicated to learn.

I recommend he take a trial of both as one of them should be a solid Word replacement for him.

For spreadsheets and presentations, Numbers and Keynote is plenty OK for my needs and likely his.

If he needs a workstation academic word processor, there's Nota Bene as well, although it runs the Windows version under WINE (but still runs great).

Thanks, Nathan.  I've forwarded the link to him.