A tool that lists verb stems?

yak2by2

I'm a Greek 1 student in seminary and am wondering if there are any tools (in Accordance or elsewhere) that list verb stems.  A lot of figuring out what tense a verb is in is in knowing if the stem has been altered or not, but lexicons do not give the stem (so how can I know if it's been altered??? Besides memorizing each individual version of the verb, which seems very inefficient compared to memorizing the stems).  I would love to memorize the stems of the verb vocabulary words we are using, but I can't find the stems listed anywhere.  Thank you in advance for any guidance. 

I wouldn't have said a lot of tense determination rests on knowing stem modification has occurred or not. It's certainly the case that in a number of cases like the once-called second aorist that it's helpful, but the common cases are more often recognized by augments and endings. Except in comparatively few cases you don't really want to memorize stems - really odd ones where the morphological rules are too arcane and the forms too infrequently encountered. You'll want to know lexical forms though. In order to get to lexical entries you'll want to know how stems can change though, because what you'll encounter in the wild is words with stems and augments and endings and so on. You'll want to be able to extract the stem portion and then recognize the lexical entry, so you know what the word is or can look it up if it's unfamiliar.

Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek (https://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=Mounce%20Greek%203) contains information on how things change - I'm sure there are others. It won't cover all the cases but it will deal with a number that occur in the context of first year reading and morphology. After that his Morphology of Biblical Greek (https://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=Mounce%20Morphology) is the next place to stop. There you have a very extensive collection of rules that describe the stem and other changes that occur.

Thx

D

Edited by דָנִיאֶל
  • Like 1

Lexicons (well, BAGD and Thayer) will list the important tense stems. They can guide you in odd forms.

post-29320-0-87802700-1513104887_thumb.jpeg

post-29320-0-05308700-1513104916_thumb.jpeg