• 4,372 posts
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows

Posted 11 December 2017 - 10:54 PM

Hi ya,

Acc 12.1.54
Android 7.1.1 and 5.0

Clearly not a critical issue ...

Some apps on Android respond to the mouse thumbwheel to scroll. It would be nice if you had a mouse connected if you could scroll Accordance texts with it. The library and text selection menus do scroll with the thumbwheel but the text pane does not.

Thx
D
  • R. Mansfield and Michel Gilbert like this

Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua

ἡ μόνη ἀγαθὴ γλῶσσα γλῶσσα νεκρὰ ἐστιν

lišanu ēdēnitu damqitu lišanu mītu

"Du stammst vom Herrn Adam und der Herrin Eva ab", sagte Aslan. "Und das ist zugleich Ehre genug, um das Häupt des ärmsten Bettlers zu erheben, und genug, um die Schultern des größten Kaisers auf Erden zu beugen. Sei zufrieden." Aslan, Die Chroniken von Narnia, Prinz Kaspian von Narnia. CS Lewis. Übersetzt von Wolfgang Holbein und Christian Rendel.

Accordance Configurations :

Mac : 2009 27" iMac                 Windows : MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro laptop
      Intel Core Duo                          Intel i7 Kabylake
      12GB RAM                                16GB RAM
      Accordance 11.2.4 and 12                Accordance 12
      OSX 10.11 (Yosemite)                    Win 10 Home x64

#2 Scott M

Scott M

Gold

• Accordance
  • 379 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 12 December 2017 - 11:59 AM

From what I've read, the mousewheels are supposed to map to onScroll events, which the text pane is presently consuming and processing. But evidently, not.

OK, so do I need a Bluetooth mouse to test this?

(My USB port is used in debugging.)

#3 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 3,163 posts
  • Twitter:@thislamp
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted 12 December 2017 - 12:03 PM

Scott, I played with it this morning using a Logitech Ultrathin Bluetooth mouse. I can confirm Daniel's report that the scroll works for the settings, but not any of the Accordance texts. 

Daniel, do you know of any way to reverse scrolling direction of a mouse in Android?

Rick Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

Accordance Bible Software

Gear for Running Accordance:

macOS

2014 Mac Mini - 2.6 Ghz dual core Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, macOS Sierra/macOS Server

2016 15" MacBook Pro - 2.9 Ghz quad core Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, macOS High Sierra

Windows

2014 15.6" Acer R7-572 - 1.6 Ghz Core i5, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB mSATA, 512 GB SSD, Windows 10 Pro

iOS

2017 iPhone X - 256 GB, Verizon, iOS 11.x

2016 iPad Pro (12.9") - 256 GB, Verizon, iOS 11.x

Android 

2017 Amazon Fire HD 8 - 32 GB internal + 64 GB microSD, Fire OS 5.6 (=Android OS 5.x)

2017 Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 - 128 GB internal, Android OS 7.0

2017 Blu Grand M - 8 GB internal + 64 GB microSD, Android OS 6.0

#4 Scott M

Scott M

Gold

• Accordance
  • 379 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 12:06 PM

OK, I'll make a pilgrimage to town tomorrow and see if I can pick up a Bluetooth mouse.

The wheel scroll probably will work for everything but Acc texts / tools, as everything else is using standard Android controls (so the support is automatic) and the Acc texts / tools are, by their nature, very much custom.

I need to run one of these to see why the docs that say mouse wheel == onScroll are lying to me.

#5 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Mithril

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,372 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 12:28 PM

Hey Rick, I don't actually. I haven't looked into that issue but I did notice in one case what I felt was scrolling in the wrong direction. I see a setting under Language and Input for Mouse/trackpad pointer speed but not for direction. That's on my 5.0 phone. I can double check the 7.1.1 tablet tonight but I don't recall seeing anything else there.

Scott, thanx for taking a look at this. I actually haven't tried Bluetooth on Android because I've been so focused on a cable based setup. I got both mouse and keyboard going last night through a non-powered hub on the OTG cable. I don't know if that would also work for cabled mouse and debugger setup. I haven't tried any Android dev env in a long time.

Thx

D

"Du stammst vom Herrn Adam und der Herrin Eva ab", sagte Aslan. "Und das ist zugleich Ehre genug, um das Häupt des ärmsten Bettlers zu erheben, und genug, um die Schultern des größten Kaisers auf Erden zu beugen. Sei zufrieden." Aslan, Die Chroniken von Narnia, Prinz Kaspian von Narnia. CS Lewis. Übersetzt von Wolfgang Holbein und Christian Rendel.

#6 Scott M

Scott M

Gold

• Accordance
  • 379 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 04:42 PM

OK, a new release is coming out, 0.56*

I can't find, for the mousewheel, a scroll amount in the event notifications. Which kinda makes sense, the mouse isn't moving, and each click of the mousewheel is somewhat arbitrary.

I fiddled with it a little, and settled on scrolling 1/30th of the pane height. That's kinda arbitrary itself, but after some experimentation it felt 'reasonable' for my tablet. This may or may not suit so well on very small devices, or very high resolution devices. Feedback is welcome. Especially from all two of you that are actually set up to test this. :)

* Note: a new version numbering for the Android app is being put in for this next release, dropping the 12.1 prefix targeting a general release for 1.0. But I'm more or less picking up the last 2 digits of the 12.X.XX release numbers, so the reset shouldn't be too jarring, I hope.

• דָנִיאֶל likes this

#7 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Mithril

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,372 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 04:52 PM

Thanx for taking a shot at this. I really didn't expect when I logged this that it qualified for a 1.0 fix.

But I am making progress with keyboards and apps and more cables than you can imagine (and more arriving today :) ), so this will be helpful to me.

Thx

D

#8 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Mithril

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,372 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:21 AM

Hi Scott,

I actually got a nice little dock for my Note 3 phone. And I was using it and the scroll wheel does indeed now work. My impression on this device was that it was moving just a little slower than I would perhaps prefer. I have yet to try it on the Lenovo but will and I'll let you know. On the Note 3 there isn't much in it but it seems to be a bit slower than the menus behaviour under the thumbwheel.

I'll try some more tests and let you know.

Thx

D

• Scott M likes this

#9 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Mithril

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,372 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 09:31 AM

Ok so I tried this on the Lenovo and frankly the speed here seems pretty good. But the direction of the text movement appears to be opposite to what I would expected. If I roll the wheel back towards myself - that is the top of the wheel is rolled in the direction front of the mouse toward the back, then the text comes down the screen - I see verses earlier in the text coming down. Obviously the reverse when I roll the wheel the other direction. But if I compare this with the Library Text menu behaviour the entries in the menu scroll the other way. And this is how I normally have my mouse direction on my Mac and so on.

Now I note that Android does not appear to permit the setting of the mouse thumbwheel speed or direction at the os level. I don't know what apps on Android normally do about this problem. I don't recall a setting for it in the wordprocessors I've been playing with either.

Thx

D

• Scott M likes this

#10 Scott M

Scott M

Gold

• Accordance
  • 379 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 02:27 PM

Thanks. I had to manually implement this, and didn't think to check the direction.

Given that I had a 50-50 chance of lucking into the correct direction, naturally I defaulted to the wrong one.

Fixed for the next release.

• דָנִיאֶל likes this

#11 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Mithril

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,372 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 02:33 PM

Thanx for this.

BTW, I got a new toy yesterday and in a couple of days (waiting on yet another adapter - will people stop changing connectors already !) I'll try the mouse on it. Actually I could try a Bluetooth mouse on it I suppose. Anyhow, it is a lot faster than either my phone or Lenovo tablet. I'll try it on that and see if I have any issues with it and let you know.

Thx

D

Edited by דָנִיאֶל, 19 December 2017 - 02:39 PM.

• Scott M likes this

#12 Scott M

Scott M

Gold

• Accordance
  • 379 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 02:45 PM

I'm using a Logitech Bluetooth mouse, I think it was $25 on sale. No wires, no connectors. :)

The nice thing is that I use a glass table top*, and it even works on that, which no other mouse I have does.

* I find I tend to keep a glass table top more clear of debris. Not entirely clear, mind you, but more clear.

#13 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Mithril

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,372 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 03:02 PM

Yeah I have one, Microsoft - found it Sunday while cleaning a not-glass desk, but I am currently on a Bluetooth-is-a-massive-security-hole kind of thing right now. :) So I'm trying to see if I can avoid using it in my tests.

Granted, way better than it was but not perfect either. Of course, at home it doesn't matter because BT range is very short, so why am I bothering you might ask ? Yep good question. :)

Thx

D

• Scott M likes this

#14 Scott M

Scott M

Gold

• Accordance
  • 379 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 03:43 PM

Yeah I have one, Microsoft - found it Sunday while cleaning a not-glass desk, but I am currently on a Bluetooth-is-a-massive-security-hole kind of thing right now. :) So I'm trying to see if I can avoid using it in my tests.

Granted, way better than it was but not perfect either. Of course, at home it doesn't matter because BT range is very short, so why am I bothering you might ask ? Yep good question. :)

Thx

D

Well, I work at (my rather new) home we built, and that is on 16+ac which up until about a year ago, didn't have cell service.

So Bluetooth doesn't pose much of a security risk at present. Unless the deer, turkeys or field mice take up hacking.

But I do have fiber optic run to the house, and can have 1GB if I want to pay for it. And it's a Prov 5:15* situation.  :)

* Yeah, out of context, but still...

#15 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Mithril

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,372 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 12:25 AM

You be pleased to know :

a. I used your app to find that Proverbs ref

b. I overcame briefly my BT paranoia and tried a BT mouse on the new tablet - the scrolling looks a little slow there too. The direction is now fixed though. I'm not quite sure what the distinguishing feature is. I'm comparing the text scrolling with the menu scrolling and of course the amount of text involved is very different. I haven't looked at tools yet. Need to play a bit more I guess.

Thx

D

Edited by דָנִיאֶל, 20 December 2017 - 08:56 AM.

• Scott M likes this

#16 Scott M

Scott M

Gold

• Accordance
  • 379 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 12:11 PM

OK, I can fiddle with the amount. Right now it is a 1/30th of the pane height, but I could make it 1/20th or even 1/10th.

Or I could make it more complicated, try and figure out a line height (standard text), but that would depend on text vs tool and access to those heights plus pixel density.

Trying to base it on pane height tried to preserve some sense of proportion, but maybe that was too crude a metric. The pane height value was handy, as opposed to font heights.

• דָנִיאֶל likes this

#17 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Mithril

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,372 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 01:07 PM

I was thinking about that too. This is not an earth shatteringly important piece of tuning for rel 1.0 either. I don't how many people there are who will be doing what I'm doing. But if you have time ... I also wondered how complicated it could get - I don't really know what all the parameters are that affect how it ends up looking. The other alternative is to make it a user problem with a slider in the prefs but throwing such things at the user is kind of a last resort. I don't know why Android doesn't expose a slider for this which could be applied generally to all apps though. I guess every app is handling it separately, just like the fonts issue - groan.

Thx

D

#18 Scott M

Scott M

Gold

• Accordance
  • 379 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 04:56 PM

I got to poking around, the font size wasn't so far buried away from the mousewheel processing as I had feared.

So I changed it, each unit will be a scroll of the selected font size (text and tool treated separately) in device pixels.

It seemed maybe a bit brisk to me, but I'd like input from others on it. (I can adjust it from there, but really, this is probably a better basis, since it more or less amounts to a line of text.)

Will be in the forthcoming 0.59 release.

• דָנִיאֶל likes this

#19 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Mithril

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,372 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 10:50 PM

Hi Scott,

This is looking better for me. I tried both the Note 3 phone in landscape and in portrait. Seems pretty good. The Tab S3 looks good in landscape too. And this Bluetooth thingie makes things quick for change over for sure - who knew :) Well ok ... that is another strike - the BT mouse I have doesn't work with the Lenovo. It pairs but doesn't get close to any kind of control. Ok I tried it with a wired mouse and yes greatly improved by the tweak - many thanx.

Thx
D
  • Scott M likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users