Photo

Anglican Foundation Documents

Anglican Book of Common Prayer Thirty-Nine Articles Book of Homilies Ordinal Church of England Cranmer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ccwjones

ccwjones

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X

Posted 18 December 2017 - 10:44 AM

May I suggest a module for studies of Anglican foundations.

This would consist of the following primary documents:

• Various editions of the Book of Common Prayer (e.g. 1549, 1552, 1559, 1662) e.g. Cummings, B. (ed) "The Book of Common Prayer - The texts 1549, 1559, and 1662, (ISBN 978-0-19-920717-6) and The Book Of Common Prayer: Printed By Whitchurch 1552. Commonly Called The Second Book Of Edward VI (ISBN 978-1376283044)
  • The thirty-nine articles of religion (and their precursors - e.g. The Kings Book, the forty-two articles)
  • The Ordinal (often printed within the Book of Common Prayer)
  • The Books of Homilies (e.g. Bray, G. ed. "The Books of Homilies - A Critical Edition" James Clarke and Co. 2015, ISBN 978-0227175446)
  • A number of these resources are available in Documents of the English Reformation  - Gerald Bray (ISBN: 978-0227172391)

Additional works such as:

• Cranmer's letters (e.g. Cox, J.E., Miscellaneous Writings And Letters Of Thomas Cranmer, ISBN 978-1247688657)
  • Packer, J.I. "The Principles of Theology"
  • Thomas Cranmer's Doctrine of Repentance: Renewing the Power to Love, by Ashley Null - ISBN: 978-0199210008
  • Divine Allurement: Cranmer's Comfortable Words, by Ashley J. Null - (ISBN: 978-1906327231)
  • The Thirty-Nine Articles, J.I. Packer (ISBN: 978-0946307562)
  • The Faith we Confess, Gerald Bray (ISBN: 978-0946307845)
  • A Fruitful Exhortation: A Guide to the Homilies, Gerald Bray (ISBN: 978-1906327248)

Perhaps this could be expanded to further important documents of the English Reformation.

Scholars might be consulted for a broader range of documents that would be good for such a module.  I would suggest Rev’d Canon Dr. Ashley Null (Theological advisor to the ANCA diocese of the Carolinas), Revd Prof Gerald Bray (Research Professor of Divinity Beeson Divinity School), Rev’d Dr Peter Adam (vicar emeritus at St. Jude’s Carlton, formerly principal of Ridley College Melbourne), Rev Dr Mark Thompson (Moore Theological College Australia), Rev’d Dr Lee Gatiss (Director “The Church Society”, lecturer at Cambridge University).

#2 Alistair

Alistair

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X

Posted 20 December 2017 - 06:32 PM

I'm not Anglican so I cannot comment on the selection of suggested titles, but it sounds like a good idea.

However, it seems to me that there should be more emphasis on historical documents which date from the founding of the Anglican church, rather than the more recent titles the OP lists above.

But as I said, I'm no Anglican. I have seen other Bible software developers put togther 'denominational' packages, put on the whole I wasn't impressed with what I saw. [Meaning I wasn't impressed enough with the Baptist package offered by Logos to buy it.]

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Anglican, Book of Common Prayer, Thirty-Nine Articles, Book of Homilies, Ordinal, Church of England, Cranmer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users