Search within sayings of Jesus

kohleth

Hi,

first post. Hope I have done this properly.

Suppose I want to see how many times Jesus' sayings contains the word 'love'.

How would I go about it?

I don't think there is a module called Jesus saying.

But if someone has compiled a list of references of Jesus saying, that I suppose I can define a custom range using that list and search within it. 

Any help?

Hi, welcome to the Accordance forums.

Check out the following discussion  https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/22189-red-letter-search/?hl=%2Bred+%2Bletter

Towards the end you will find Daniel (reply #16) has provided a workspace with the red letter verses in and then at then end Fabian has provided the range commands.

You can then use one of these as the basis for your search.

Edited by Steve King

As Steve says, hi and welcome to the forum.

You will quickly realise that we all use Accordance differently and there is no right or wrong way, just what works for you.

In your particular example and following some of the comments on the linked thread around how jesus saying is identified #3 and my own laziness in using ranges and distrust in computers, i would do something slightly different

Following your question, I wondered how often love was used other than by jesus.

if you are thinking about jesus sayings I just ran the search on love limiting it to the gospels and for ease, used a red letter version as the esv comes with Accordance so could easily see the non red hits. With context set to 0 I could quickly see any black outliers and check if they were jesus or not saying love.

This wouldn’t work for everything and you would have to investigate ranges, but it does for love as its so infrequently used away from the saying of jesus. And doing it this way there are some I can immediately discount (luke 7:5 and john 11:3) and others I would want to check the context a bit more (luke 10:27 and John 3:35)

It also very much depends on what you are looking for and how you want to use the results which way you will run the search. You will then have to decide if the saying is used in more than one gospel etc. I would also run it with a basic interlinear and see what the underlying word was that had been translated as love.

This is Just an alternative to that identified by steve and probably an initial search to get you digging deeper.

The joys of study with Accordance.

post-31185-0-55968500-1513766257_thumb.jpeg

post-31185-0-86908200-1513766275_thumb.png

Edited by ukfraser