Upgrade, or wait?

eshane7

I'm considering upgrading from Accordance 11 to Accordance 12, however the more I'm thinking about it now, I'm seriously considering just waiting for the next release.  Not adding extra modules, just a basic upgrade.  However, I'm thinking a new version will be out soon... is that true?  Isn't it a yearly release?  So I don't want to upgrade ($40-$50 for a basic upgrade) and then turn around and upgrade again for an additional $40-$50.  Anyone know the release schedule?

Shane,

I have been an Accordance customer since 2008 and typically They come out with a paid update every three years or so.

With the recent release of 12.2, my guess is that there won't be a paid update for at least a year, and the move form 11 to 12 is well worth the cost IMHO.

I cannot say for sure, but I believe that major releases (like 11 to 12) come biannually, not annually. I seem to recall someone from Accordance staff mentioning that at a training seminar last September. That would put version 13 sometime toward the end of 2018.

Perhaps someone from Accordance will chime in.

I started with 1.1a in 1994, so getting to 12.x puts the average lifespan of a version at about 2 years (yet past performance does not guarantee the future).

:P

I held out for a while. It's worth it. I used it as an excuse to upgrade to one of the better OL packages, too. hehe :)

• Like 1

There are some modules that only run on 12.2. If you need those now it's a no brainier.

The other new features, mainly stacks and pages are great and there are new ones in 12.2 which help work if you have other software, but you appear to be surviving without them, so it’s your call.

Personally I have upgraded each version from 8 as each version has something I wanted and stacks was the no brainier for me in 12.

As others have said, they are not annual upgrades.

I may get my wrists slapped for saying this, but if you are not on a discount scheme and as you have survived so long, I would be tempted to wait to see if the upgrade is on offer before Christmas or in the new year. But from your web links, I’m guessing you have discounts anyway.

But I think you should certainly be thinking about an upgrade sooner rather than later.

Edited by ukfraser

A major version also entails re-negotations with some of the publishers about contents or terms/pricing for book modules included in all of the Collections. I suppose it theoretically could be done more often but would likely be on publisher's request, but for OakTree it makes much more sense with 2-3 Year intervals as the contents sometime doesn't change almost any.

I would be perfectly happy with 3 Year intervals. The point-updates are really awesome - they mean a whole lot more than with any competitors.

I've stayid on Starter or simllar level since version 8. Version 9 I only had under the emulator i.e. under Windows. I skipped version 11. If I had bought version 11 I would have got a slightly lower upgrade price. If upgrading every time the upgrade price is slightly lower than when upgrading rarely, but there is also an upgrade path limit usually spanning two major versions - i.e. You can skip one major version and still get an upgrade path made for You instead of full price.

What You need to do depends on if You need the content of some mid- or high- level Collection, and if You can wait and act upon oportunity, also on whether there's an ongoing sales-period, such as right now, and perhaps even how good of a sales period it is. I would NOT use the generic coupon-codes that apply store-wide, unless buying the All-in-All Collection.

If You just need support for new modules, there's not that much You necessarily need to do right now, as version 12 didn't introduce almost any new module support, there's one database -type of resource that version 12, nothing else that I can think of and I can't remember which one it was, I think it was something about syntax? But there already is an equivalent Accordance-native module like that since before, so like I said it's not necessary to do a feature upgrade right now. Sales told me that the major feature upgrade from version 11, was support/sync for Dropbox or something like that.

Personally, the reason why I don't go with mid- level Collections, is that I want to support Accordance maximally with my choices and at the same time avoid clutter. I made most of choices regarding everything electronic during a period when selective downloads were not as smooth as now, so I got accustomed to that any new purchases usually would clutter my library further (and this was and still is much worse with the biggest competitor and they've fairly recently stated on their forums that that's never going to changed since they are locked into their choice of design of their platform, there basically is no way for them to offer selective downloads of any kind, other than what they've offered on their Mobile type of interfaces except their browswer-dependent one). Even more smooth would be if upon purchase I could mark parts of the purchase as un-interesting and that my order would then ship partial with no compensation or further discount - i.e. that it would be completely self-imposed, as I can actually be certain I don't want some particular books. I've spent Years and more than a thousand full hours choosing books, and decades choosing/researching Bible versions.

I was just rereading the update details on 12.2.1 for the second time, in case I missed something. I could not see that any of the new features or even the bug fixes were relevant to me.

So that's it then. Accordance is now officially more advanced than my own brain.

Makes me wonder what version 13 wil have to add in order for me to purchase it.

Update: I noticed there is a new podcast by Dr J on the new features: I will watch it to see if I have missed anything. Good of him to come out of hibernation early this winter.

Edited by Alistair

This is what we got in 11 which included the info pane and combined resources which are why I upgraded.

https://www.accordancebible.com/11-For-11

And these are the changes during its life time

https://www.accordancebible.com/New-Since-11/

This is what we got in 12 which included stacks and improved analytics which is why I upgraded

https://www.accordancebible.com/New-For-Accordance-12

I will evaluate 13 when it’s released. For some 15 point may make it a must have. Like you, i cant imagine what i need in addition, but it may come down to a new resource i must have which needs the upgrade.

Exciting times and let’s wait and see. But I am certainly enjoying 12 and don’t regret the upgrade.

;o)

Stacks are great - use them a lot - but been there since 12.

More recently :

If you use the syntax modules for OL, that has been getting tweaks and fixes, so that's worthwhile.

If you want the new Arabic QURAN-T module then I believe 12.2 is a must have. There are posts on it.

Check out the latest updates listed https://www.accordancebible.com/New-Since-12/

Thx

D

Thanks for the info guys, it's just that I don't use papers or stack or analytics or syntax or any of that. Info pane gets used all the time.

I won't use it on Windows or Android, and I barely use it on iOS.

I have no need for handover either.

Edited by Alistair

Upgrade

Info pane gets used all the time.

In 12.2.1, "My Toolset" was added to the Info Pane. It allows you to combine resources from any category in your library. I use it to collect my journals. For Info Pane users, it's a great enhancement.

• Like 2

In 12.2.1, "My Toolset" was added to the Info Pane. It allows you to combine resources from any category in your library. I use it to collect my journals. For Info Pane users, it's a great enhancement.

Thanks mark, I had seen it in dr j’s podcast but haven’t upgraded to 12.2.1 yet (typically use iOS and haven’t used mbp for over a week, and usually a slightly delayed adopter). But am hoping/intending to put my atlases there such as sacred bridge and zondervan.

;o)

• Like 1

I upgraded my accordance from 11 to 12 very earlier and I would say that the new features papers and stacks made accordance much more powerful for bible study, prepare sermons...etc. If there is no 12.2, I would suggest you to wait. But, If you want to use some resources from web with accordance and seeing the possibility to improve your study, 12.2 is fantastic. Web browser is a great move to improve Accordance’s competitiveness against other bible softwares. I am still discovering how this feature can improve my workflow. I would say, it’s “check” when technicians put their energy on how to develop cloud, intenet speed, ...etc. Accordance is able to use its speed advantage to integrate this part into it which made Accordance into another level!

Mutien

Wow, thanks for all the information on here y'all!  Very helpful information.  Stacks may be the only useful item on the list of upgrades for me.  I'm not exclusive to one Bible program, so I generally do all my writing and notes in LibreOffice.  I like to have them platform independent so I can take them anywhere, or share them.  I generally keep digital copies of notes, outlines etc better than my paper files.  This has been very helpful in helping me take a good look at if I need to upgrade or not.  Hopefully it can be of help to others as well.

Edited by eshane7
  • Like 1

One of the best parts about Accordance is that if you don't want to look at some modules, you can hide them in a folder and never look at them. As for the question as to whether or not to upgrade, it really depends on what you are going to do with Accordance. If you aren't going to use any of the new features, don't upgrade. You will probably be paying less to purchase 13 rather than buy 12 and then 13 with a discount. If you need the new features or modules that require 12, then go ahead and purchase 12. Also take a look at what modules you want to buy in the new year and determine if they come in one of the base packages. Now comes the hard part. If the modules are in the base package you have to determine if it is worth purchasing or not. Which means looking at the price of the items you want vs the price for the base package with items you don't want and will never use. Also factor in whether or not at some point you will want to purchase a base package because buying a base package grants a discount for future packages while buying individual items does not.

Obviously, if a base package comes out as a good deal for you, then go ahead and buy it. Though you still might want to hold off until a deal comes along. If you can wait for 13, you may want to consider spending that money on resources rather than a base package you will never use. Though this does include the risk of buying a resource that will eventually be in the base packages for version 13.

Good news is if you buy a module that is included in a future base package with custom upgrades you don't pay for it twice.

If one is able, it is good to purchase the upgrade of a product as a way to support continuing development of that product. I definitely do this for Accordance in the Bible software category! 

Shalom,

Joseph

• Like 2

Good news is if you buy a module that is included in a future base package with custom upgrades you don't pay for it twice.

I think I figured out where I messed up. You aren't charged for the items, but if you have purchased them within 90 days you get credit for them. That is where I messed up. You are charged for the module within 90 days because the original purchase of it is "credited" back to you.

Edited by SimpleTheist

Now is a good time, additional 20% off upgrade price. Plus anything else that you have been delaying.

;o)

• Like 1