My stacks have disappeared

David Foster

DISCLAIMER: I've tried to delete this post since I came across similar posts in the 12.2 thread. However, I can' figure out how to delete a post you've written. Any ideas of how I can do that? 

I just wrote a post about my stacks that have disappeared.

Then, when I went to check in the accordance folder I noticed that there is no folder named stacks (which I image there should be since there's one for paper). 

Any ideas on where they went or how I can get them back? 

Thanks kindly, 

David 

Edited by David Foster

1. You can delete the contents of your post withinn the time allowed for edits (?30 mins), and you can leave the admins a note in the post requesting them to delete it.

2. The Stacks folder should be in your Documents/Accordance Files folder, but we did have an issue with them disappearing in 12.2, now fixed in 12.2.1.

Thanks so much Helen. 

The stacks folder is back but it's empty. I had about 4 different stacks on this computer and another 2 or 3 on my work computer. I thought they would have synced so I would have them all on this computer. Any idea what to do to get them back? 

Thanks for your reply. 

This was a dropbox sync issue in 12.2.0 that has been fixed in 12.2.1.  Your best chance for recovery is to go in finder and navigate to  "/private/var/folders/8z/dw2bbdy92y59_yj2z3b28bl40000gn/T/TemporaryItems/DropboxSyncFolder" and see if there is anything there.

The problem with that is that I'm pretty sure that middle two folder names are randomly generated by the mac system, so I don't know what it will be called on your computer.  Also, these are hidden system folders, so mucking about in them can be a bit dangerous.  But if it is there, try just copying it to somewhere else and opening it.  Can't guarantee it will work, but it's probably your best bet.

An even better way to get it back would be if you have Time Machine backup on.  Just navigate to the folder and type "Time Machine" into the spotlight search.

This was a dropbox sync issue in 12.2.0 that has been fixed in 12.2.1.  Your best chance for recovery is to go in finder and navigate to  "/private/var/folders/8z/dw2bbdy92y59_yj2z3b28bl40000gn/T/TemporaryItems/DropboxSyncFolder" and see if there is anything there.

The problem with that is that I'm pretty sure that middle two folder names are randomly generated by the mac system, so I don't know what it will be called on your computer.  Also, these are hidden system folders, so mucking about in them can be a bit dangerous.  But if it is there, try just copying it to somewhere else and opening it.  Can't guarantee it will work, but it's probably your best bet.

Thanks.... I'll give it a try, I just need to know how to find the private/var folder   :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Go to finder, then go to the "Go" menu at the top of the screen.  Then click "Go to folder..." and type in "/private/var/folders" (or copy paste it from here).  That will get you started, and you can poke through the subfolders.  Just be careful not to delete anything, since running programs might be using files.

Thanks, I went to the folders section and there was no 8Z.

I also copied and pasted the entire link and searched for that... nothing. 

Should I move on and try Time Machine? 

Should I move on and try Time Machine? 

Definitely. That will probably be your best and easiest solution for recovering your files.

It worked. I just copied the files and them pasted them into my accordance folder and it worked. There's also my files from my work computer! Thanks so much for all your help. 

• Like 2

Honestly, I'm still thinking like a windows user, because time machine should have been the first thing I thought of.  Just be careful you don't try syncing again until after you update to 12.2.1!