Questioning the purpose of updates

Odoiporus

Bible programs are not there to merely provide searchable, highlightable and hyperlinked text—PDFs, iBooks, even text editors do as much, and are free. Bible programs must logically connect texts to one another and enable access at will, and do this well.

Accordance (IOS on 10.3.3), has consistently failed to furnish a shining product. Each and every update has consistently come with ruining something that worked before, often without fixing what it set out to fix. This time is no different.

The OT ref links in my notes, which were once working fine, are disabled, and haven't been fixed through several updates. The new heralded formatting (poorer in my view) is forced upon the user, without warning or the ability to prevent it, even after manually reformatting them. Checking the note settings, nothing seems to have been changed. Yet, in those old notes that I edit, the Greek text is all reset in Cardo, and in a smaller size then the English (which remains in Helvetica). The result is awful, but worse, I am not able to prevent it, or even correct it. You guys are undoing my work.

I think I need to stop updating Accordance and retain my sanity.

I'm sorry you are feeling this way about the app, but I assure you our goal is not to ruin something with every update.  Many updates are entirely fixes, and if the update does involve a change it is heavily thought through and tested.

Regarding your specific issue, links to the OT are working just fine in my notes.  Greek is rendering using the Accordance font, and the sizes are also correct.  Have you considered contacting Technical Support?

• Like 3

This is not a support issue. The fonts and font-settings were working correctly until the update, which is all that was done.

Hello, Odoiporus. If something is not working as well as it used to work, it is a support issue. Are you using version 11? Mac or Windows? I don't know if it would help in your case, but there is an option to clean up fonts. You hold down the Option Key (Mac) when starting Accordance and select "Clean up installed fonts". But I don't know if that option was available in v. 11 or not. You'll find the support people are easy to deal with and know what they are doing. They are interested in helping you, the customer, have the best experience possible. Very few companies have support as good as Accordance.

• Like 1

Hello, Odoiporus. If something is not working as well as it used to work, it is a support issue. Are you using version 11? Mac or Windows? I don't know if it would help in your case, but there is an option to clean up fonts. You hold down the Option Key (Mac) when starting Accordance and select "Clean up installed fonts". But I don't know if that option was available in v. 11 or not. You'll find the support people are easy to deal with and know what they are doing. They are interested in helping you, the customer, have the best experience possible. Very few companies have support as good as Accordance.

I agree with you about Accordance support, Eric. Yet the issue Odoiporus has is with Accordance iOS, not Accordance Mac or Accordance Windows. Nonetheless, Accordance could help Odoiporus resolve the issue.

• Like 1

Platinum is quite right, the issue is the IOS version. My MacOS version runs as it has for years, without ever a problem. Of course, the reason I went with Accordance is to do my work on the iPad. I already had an excellent working pipeline on my Mac, without Accordance.

Before I purchased my package, I inquired with OakTree about the IOS. It's why I went with it.

Nor do I have a problem with the support team. It's just that you already know the problem is with the software, as noted in the related text given with the latest bug-fix that you published in the interim, and which I just upgraded, in hopes that you fixed the issue. The description of this bug-fix includes:

Fixes crashes in Easy Install, loading specific texts, highlighting, and other texts. Corrects GK number processing of the Leonberger NT … Fixes Spotlight searching by topic.

Sending me to the support team when you already know the issue that I am describing, is … well… I'll leave it at that.

Now to the bug-fix:

While, no perceivable fixes have been made, still new problems were introduced, such as:

Greek text, now, will not accept styling, like bold. A workaround is to first change the font to Helvetica, apply desired styles, and close the panel. On panel close, the Greek text reverts to Cardo, but the styles are retained—only so long however as no new edits are made to the note. Any subsequent edits will cause the entire note to reset and all styles to be globally lost.

In notes edit panel, Greek text show up in error (e.g. ᾳ appears as αι). The same character appears okay when the note edit panel is closed.  (This may be a preexisting issue.)

The NT verse refs are given in error (usually citing the OT).

The User Notes Display Settings remain ineffective (fonts continue not to be respected), and the OT links remain un-linkable.

Other minor glitches include text overlapping during searches (buttons etc.). But I can live with that.

Let's get these issues ironed out, please.