Photo

Exclude Books in Define Range (All books except...)

Range Search Original Languages

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JVo

JVo

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X

Posted 29 December 2017 - 02:05 PM

Hello, I have searched far and wide and cannot seem to figure out how to define a range by means of excluding, rather than simply including books.

Specifically, I am working in the OT Peshitta (PESHOT-T) and would like to conduct searches only in the books of the Tanak and exclude the apocryphal books from my searches, i.e., Letter of Jeremiah, Baruch, Judith, Susanna, Bel, 4Ezra, Wisdom, Sirach, and 1-4Maccabees.

Other than manually entering all 39 (24) books of the Hebrew OT in a defined range, is there any way in which I can define a range that is something along the lines of "Gen-Mal" minus the 12 books of the apocrypha?

Edited by JVo, 29 December 2017 - 02:05 PM.

#2 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Mithril

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, Android

Posted 29 December 2017 - 02:17 PM

I think you can just define a range including all the books you would like to exclude. Then in your search do something like :

<search term> <NOT> [RANGE excluded_books]

Thx

D

Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua
ἡ μόνη ἀγαθὴ γλῶσσα γλῶσσα νεκρὰ ἐστιν
lišanu ēdēnitu damqitu lišanu mītu

"Du stammst vom Herrn Adam und der Herrin Eva ab", sagte Aslan. "Und das ist zugleich Ehre genug, um das Häupt des ärmsten Bettlers zu erheben, und genug, um die Schultern des größten Kaisers auf Erden zu beugen. Sei zufrieden." Aslan, Die Chroniken von Narnia, Prinz Kaspian von Narnia. CS Lewis. Übersetzt von Wolfgang Holbein und Christian Rendel.

Accordance Syntax Search For Wallace's Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics : https://github.com/4...WallaceInSyntax

Accordance Configurations :

Mac : 2009 27" iMac
12GB RAM

Windows : MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro laptop
Intel Core Duo Intel i7 Kabylake

Android : Samsung Note III 5.0, Samsung Tab S3 7.0 and Lenovo TAB4 8" 7.1

#3 JVo

JVo

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 03:33 PM

This solution will work (although untested), but I would like to define a range so as to use it often. At this point I'm just going to manually enter all of the books.

!תודה דניאל

#4 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Mithril

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 03:50 PM

Oh ok. I had thought it was already possible to use a defined range in [RANGE ?] command - I had requested this some time ago, and I guess never really proved that it had or had not been done - oops, sorry. In any case, it won't work so without a not option on the search range option, or the ability to use a defined range in a RANGE command I don't see another alternative to what you are doing.

For what it's worth here is my feature request : https://www.accordan...-range-command/

Thx

D

"Du stammst vom Herrn Adam und der Herrin Eva ab", sagte Aslan. "Und das ist zugleich Ehre genug, um das Häupt des ärmsten Bettlers zu erheben, und genug, um die Schultern des größten Kaisers auf Erden zu beugen. Sei zufrieden." Aslan, Die Chroniken von Narnia, Prinz Kaspian von Narnia. CS Lewis. Übersetzt von Wolfgang Holbein und Christian Rendel.

Accordance Syntax Search For Wallace's Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics : https://github.com/4...WallaceInSyntax

12GB RAM

#5 JVo

JVo

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 03:59 PM

Thanks again for this Daniel. I started another topic (here) that perhaps you can help me with the answer to. I am attempting to 'define a range' that includes the 39 books of the Tanak, but keep getting an error message that I'm not using the correct syntax in defining the range. Would you happen to know how I can do this?

#6 jarcher

jarcher

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted 29 December 2017 - 04:09 PM

It is more work but using ranges is generally a lot better, especially if you're going to use them repeatedly or use the Accordance analysis features.

As an example compare the 'Hits Graph' in these two searches:

covenant <AND>  [RANGE Isaiah] 

vs.

Searching for covenant and using a search range set to just Isaiah.

There are good reasons and times to use the [RANGE] command. But using the range search scope has some advantages too.

Edited by jarcher, 29 December 2017 - 04:09 PM.

• JVo likes this

#7 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Mithril

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 04:18 PM

Looks like Jeremy beat me to it. That said the issue you hit looks like it would benefit from an enhancement in the error handling highlight the location of the error.

The main difference between [RANGE] and the search option range, is that the first is applied to the display of the results and the second is applied to the search that is run. That place this has made the most difference in my searches is in COUNT queries where the results will differ leading you one, for example to include or exclude words from vocab flashcards when based on occurrences.

This is explained in a note the RANGE standalone command help.

Thx

D

Edited by דָנִיאֶל, 29 December 2017 - 04:18 PM.

• jarcher and JVo like this

12GB RAM

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Range, Search, Original Languages

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users