Define Range Syntax

JVo

I am attempting to define a range in the Peshitta OT (PESHOT-T) to include only the 39 books of the Tanak and so exclude the apocrypha included in that text package (i.e., Letter of Jeremiah, Baruch, Judith, Susanna, Bel, 4Ezra, Wisdom, Sirach, and 1-4Maccabees).

To do so, I've entered the following into the 'Definition' of the 'Define Range' dialogue box:

Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Joshua, Judges, Ruth, 1Samuel, 2Samuel, 1Kings, 2Kings, 1Chronicles, 2Chronicles, Ezra, Nehemiah, Esther, Job, Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Lamentations, Ezekiel, Daniel, Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi

​When I attempt to 'Verify' this, I am receive the following error 'There are characters which are unexpected or in the wrong position as shown in the selection.'

post-32837-0-47780700-1514580870_thumb.png

Can someone please help me with the syntax needed here?

Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Joshua, Judges, Ruth, 1Samuel, 2Samuel, 1Kings, 2Kings, 1Chronicles, 2Chronicles, Ezra, Nehemiah, Esther, Job, Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Lamentations, Ezekiel, Daniel, Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, Malachi

Switched Song of Solomon to just Song

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Why does this syntax not work with Luke, Acts??

Can you provide more details? I have a defined range for 'Lukan Corpus' that is "Luke, Acts"

I don't know how to upload a screenshot. 

But when I type Luke, Acts in Define Ranges I get the popup "There are characters which are unexpected or in the wrong position as shown in the selection."  :(

A good test is to try entering the same range into a Search tab - if there is an issue, it will highlight and show you the problem.  You can then copy and paste the successful range back into the Define Ranges dialog.

Thanks Joel, I've found the problem. 

I have to type ; instead , 

Luke; Acts instead Luke, Acts

:huh: ?

• Like 1