Missing Stems in Peshitta OT

JVo

There are 12 verbs in the tagged Peshitta OT (PESHOT-T) that do not have stem information in their parsing. These are (spelling according to Accordance conventions):

1 Sam 1.26 ܗܘܝܬ Peal

1Sam 2.5  ܐܬܐܓܪܘ Ithpeel 

2Sam 2.7 ܢܬܚ̈ܝܠܢ Ithpaal

2Sam 11.27 ܐܬܒܐܫܬ Ithpeel

2Sam 12.18 ܗܘܝܢ Peal

Ps 94.22 ܡܥܫܢܢܐ Pael

1Ki 10.13 ܐܬܦܢܝܬ Ithpeel

Esther 9.22 ܐܬܬܢܝܚܘ Ittaphal

Dan 3.91 ܦܟܝܪ̈ܝܢ Peal

Sir 19.15 ܢܗܝܡܢ Peal

Sir 25.8 ܕܒܪ Pael

1Mac 2.63 ܡܬܬܪܝܡ Ittaphal

Edited by JVo

These are best reported to Corrections, but I will pass on this information, thank you.

• Like 1

Oh, sorry Helen, would you like me to go ahead and send an email to the corrections address?

Thank you for taking the time to send these on. I have made the corrections you noted and searched each error to make sure I caught them all. You seem to have caught them all. But along the way I noticed that at Sir 25:8 a man is happy if he does "not plow with ox and wine together." While I suppose this is true—one might wonder what blood alcohol level might be allowable while plowing—I have corrected the passage to read "ass".

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

No problem Dr. Abegg, and thank you for all of the work you've done that I've been the beneficiary of in Syriac and Semitic studies!

Also, and again I apologize if this is the wrong place, but there are a bunch of times in the Peshitta OT where ܗܠܟ is parsed as being in the G-stem, but in Syriac it is not attested in the P'al at all. This mistake in the binyan then throws off the conjugation parsing in places such as in Ps 1.1 where ܗܠܟ is parsed as a P'al participle, but this is not correct. I suspect the supra-linear dot on ܗܠܟ here led the parser to believe this was a participle with zeqofo over R1. However, in 7a1 the dot is between the hey and lamed and due to the height of the latter was moved over to the right slightly. The form in Ps 1 should be a P'al perfect 3ms. The other places where ܗܠܟ has been assigned the wrong stem are in the following verses:

Lev. 13:23

Lev. 13:27

Lev. 13:28

Lev. 13:32

Lev. 13:34

Lev. 13:36

Lev. 13:51

Lev. 13:53

Lev. 13:55

Lev. 14:39

Lev. 14:44

Lev. 14:48