2018: Greek Gospels in a Year

Abram K-J

I'm going to read through the four canonical Gospels in Greek in 2018: Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John.

I've created a reading plan, which divides the Gospels into three months each, Monday through Friday (with weekends to catch up, review, or take a break).

The plan also includes suggested passages for ​lectio divina, for those who want to engage with the Greek text reflectively and prayerfully. 

And if I can get it finished this weekend, the plan will include a third optional component of working through Rod Decker's Reading Koine Greek in a year--which will offer both grammar and vocabulary cross-training.

Phew! I am looking forward to reading through the Gospels in this way.

Would anyone like to join? I'm off all social media in 2018 (woo hoo!), but would gladly post and respond to posts in this "Greek in a Year" forum. 

A souped up User Tool will be coming soon....

• Like 7

Hey Abram,

It sounds like a good plan. I have been thinking to go extra-biblical, probably Josephus or Philo, in 2018. But I have yet to construct a plan. I managed to get through my 2017 plan in one piece. I had considered going through the gospels also as additional reading if I could fit it in, so I'll be interested to see your reading plan.

One other thing that has been going through my head was trying to get a reading group going online - maybe using google hangouts - or some such thing. As ever the time is the major constraint. But it can be a lot of fun to read with other people, though I've done it rarely.

Thx

D

Edited by דָנִיאֶל
  • Like 1

Okay! I've got the plan complete.

I posted a bit more about it on my personal blog here.

But really all the information you need is in the plan itself, which I include here as:

- Accordance User Tool (Dropbox download link) (And Ken S., if you're reading this, feel free to add it to the User Exchange)

- PDF with navigable/hyperlinked TOC (LINK)

There are some unique advantages and integrations in the Accordance User Tool (especially if you're already going to be reading on an electronic device). All Scripture references are hyperlinked, and you can set your Accordance to use any Greek text as the default. And all the Decker chapters are hyperlinked in the User Tool, so that if you click on anything, it takes you right to that spot of the grammar (if you own it).

That said, as much as I live in Accordance, I know I'll want to do some of my reading analogue, so the PDF puts the reading plan into four columns for what I hope is easy printing and use as a hard copy. All the content is the same, whether it's in the User Tool or the PDF--just uniquely arranged for whichever format it's in.

Feel free to spread the word! Let me know if you're interested in reading along.

(Updated User Tool link and PDF with minor edits... hopefully I won't have to do this too much, but if I find errors, this post and my blog post will always include the most up-to-date version.)

Edited by Abram K-J
  • Like 2

Interesting idea. Following a harmony of the gospels would allow the reader the benefits of reviewing common vocabulary for parallel stories, and would also allow you to reflect on the similarities and differences in the greek of each author.

https://www.blueletterbible.org/study/harmony/index.cfm

Edited by Ιακοβ

I think it really depends on what you are trying to do with the reading plan. Personally, right now with reading I am trying to increase my fluency. Reading stretches of continuous text helps in developing contextual awareness and a certain fluidity to the experience, and to develop a feel for the texts as a whole. Breaking it up to read comparable sections in other works will achieve something a bit different: valuable for sure, but different.

Thx

D

• Like 2

Yes, what Daniel said about the value in "reading stretches of continuous text" is part of it. Also, I like the idea of really immersing myself in one Gospel writer's narrative, seeing what his focuses and angles are, etc. You can do this by comparing them side by side, of course, but the thought of a harmony never crossed my mind when making the plan. I come to this having read the GNT straight through in a year and a half, so I liked the idea of continuous reading again.

• Like 1

Thanks Abram, hopefully will stick with it longer this year! Lots of good intentions. Just need to find a routine that works. Trying to decide if I need to get decker now.

Happy New Year

• Like 1

Once nice thing about Decker (though it's not the only such grammar in Accordance) is that there is audio for the vocabulary, so you can engage another sense. Looks like Decker's grammar is set up with a single audio file per chapter. Mounce has an audio icon/file per vocabulary word, so you can hone in a bit more if you want.

• Like 1

Abram

Thank you for putting this tool together.

A blessed new year to all.

• Like 3

Looks interesting! I downloaded the tool. Can you upload your workspace file as well? I'm reading through the CSB this year, but I may want to try some of the Greek Gospels reading as well. :-) Thanks!

• Like 1

Probably a number of you came to this thread from our blog post posted today, but if not, you can see it here

In that blog post, I created a workspace duplicating Abram's User Tool to show off the various components. You can see it below. 

2018%20Greek%20Gospels%20in%20a%20Year.p

• Like 1

Thanks so much for putting this together. I’m really excited about this.

• Like 1

There certainly would be benefit of reading parallel synoptic sections as you move along, but there is much to gain reading each in turn, as well. However, I would most definitely start with Mark first, then Matt, then Luke, then John.

• Like 3

That's interesting Joe, why that order ?

thx

D

Hi Abram

Thanks for this. Might not be able to keep up but it is a great idea and will follow along as I am able.

• Like 1

I'm sure the answer is simple... How do I move Abram's "Greek Gospel's in a Year" user tool to the Devotional folder in the library?

You can make your own new user group, but I'm not aware that it's possible to move a User Tool into an Accordance-created folder.

As far as I know a user cannot create their own devotional in the sense of one of the devotional modules Acc provides. A UT is about as close as you can get. There have been requests for reading plan support in the past.

thx

D

Convert it to a normal tool. In User Tools the gear right above.

Greetings

Fabian

Convert it to a normal tool. In User Tools the gear right above.

Greetings

Fabian

Forgot you could do this--thanks!

Now you can set it to the new User item on the bottom in the Info Pane. If you wish.

Greetings

Fabian