Retaining user tool settings in a workspace when transferred to another machine

Λύχνις Δαν

Hi ya,

Acc 12.2

OSX 10.11 and Win 10

I have a workspace with Abram's Greek Gospels in a Year user tool in it. I set it up on the Mac and set the default text to GNT-EPT, the secondary text to NA 28 and the theme. I then copied both the workspace and the user tool to my Windows PC. I found that the workspace opened not knowing about the User tool so the ws opened only with the GNT-EPT. In addition when I opened the tool in the workspace it did not have any of the default settings I had set.

A couple of questions.

1. Is this how such a transfer is expected to work ? ie. do we expect that the default settings for the tool are actually not stored with the tool ? If not did I do something wrong ?

2. Why would the workspace not be able to find the user tool when I opened the workspace ? Is there something that I failed to do or is Acc not using transferrable paths ? I put the UT in the User Tools subdirectory of the Accordance Files directory when I moved it. This is the same relative location as it was on the Mac.

Thx

D

Had you already installed the User Tool to the Windows computer? If so, I would have expected the transferred workspace to recognize the User Tool. That may be a bug. 

It doesn't surprise me that the settings for GNT-EPT didn't transfer over. That information is probably kept in a corollary preference file. I'd like to see such preferences sync automatically between installs one day.

Thanx Rick. Initially I forgot the UT. But then I recopied both and still the workspace would not open with the UT pane in place.  Silly question now I come to think of it ? I didn't bother to shut down Acc while doing this. Didn't seem like it would matter. But in case it does I did do this while Acc was up.  Do you think that would matter ? (If there is a read of the User Tools directory going on at startup that might explain it.)

thx

D

With the workspace set up exactly like you want it, save it again, restart Accordance, and see if it opens correctly.

Yes that works - the problem was only with the initial transfer and setup.

Ok I redid the experiment. 

I shut Acc down on the PC

I re-transferred both the UT and the WS file

Then started Acc and loaded that WS.

In this case it loaded ok.

The UT display options for correct but perhaps that is because they were already setup in the preferences from my previous manual corrections - so this may not indicate that those settings came over with the tool file.

The theme though was not saved. 

So I'm not 100% sure whether this test is entirely valid because of the previous attempt and fixups I'd made manually.

But probably wise to do this when Acc is down in any case.

I'll have to set up a clean test with ws and UT unknown to the Windows install and try that out.

Thx

D

• Like 1