Search for post-vocalic BETH with dagesh (בּ)

bpkantor

I am wondering if there is any way to search for a post-vocalic ב with a dagesh. In other words, every instance of geminated/doubled ב.

Conceivably, you could search *בּ* with every possible vowel before it, but that would require as many searches as there are vowels. Is there any way to search for all the vowels preceding ב at once, just like you can select a number of consonants to replace a "?" in a search?

Fascinating question. I look forward to reading the responses.

Me too :) I've tried it and I couldn't get any shortcut to work.

Thx

D

I actually just figured it out:

"=*?(?ָ?ֳ?ַ?ֲ?ֵ?ֶ?ֱ?ִ?ֹ?ֻ)בּ*"

Note that the system switched it from R > L to L > R, so do everything I have above but go backwards.

The key is that just as you might do ?(אחעה) to find all the gutturals, you need to kind of do a double wild card to find all the vowels. The Accordance engine seems to only let you make the letters in parentheses correspond with a character, so you just have to enter wildcards with all the vowels WITHIN parentheses for what is already a wildcard character.

Edited by bpkantor
  • Like 1

Oooo..., I like how you used the question marks to represent any consonant. I tried just typing the vowels and separating them by commas, but Accordance didn't care for that approach.

Nicely done!

It gets very messy but you don’t need the ?’s within the brackets. And commas do mess everything up. Any list within brackets are taken as alternative letters for the preceding ? (Outside the bracket)

So my query looks like "=*?(ֱֲֳִֵֶַָֹֻ)בּ*"

I thought you used to be able to separate the vowels with spaces for readability but that didn’t work for me.

Hah! That's what my original search looked like. It got so messy and hard to read, I didn't even actually run the search. It's interesting that the search would have worked had I done so.