Photo

How to find one (prosodic) word with two cantillation marks?

Masora cantillation

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 rvoogdgeert

rvoogdgeert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X

Posted 06 January 2018 - 08:24 AM

Does any of you know whether it is possible te design a search within a Hebrew construct in order to find all words with double cantillation marks? E.g. the מאילא, a combination of tiphcha and atnach/silluq within a single (prosodic) word. This may, of course, be two words connected by maqqef.

• Brian K. Mitchell likes this

#2 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Emerald

• Admin
  • 11,667 posts
  • Twitter:accordancebible
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS, Android

Posted 06 January 2018 - 10:59 AM

Bad news and good news. We do not currently have a way to search for non-specific cantillation marks, only specific ones. You should be able to find a word with two specific marks using @ period and the mark for each one you want to add.

However, period underscore will find every word with a following maqqef so you can add @ period and the mark to find any such words with that mark.

We could add to the list of new features a specific wildcard for any vowel and another for any cantillation mark, if there was sufficient interest.

• Gordon likes this
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#3 rvoogdgeert

rvoogdgeert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 01:02 PM

Bad news and good news. We do not currently have a way to search for non-specific cantillation marks, only specific ones. You should be able to find a word with two specific marks using @ period and the mark for each one you want to add.

However, period underscore will find every word with a following maqqef so you can add @ period and the mark to find any such words with that mark.

We could add to the list of new features a specific wildcard for any vowel and another for any cantillation mark, if there was sufficient interest.

Dear Helen,

Thank you for your quick respons. Firstly, let me say that your software is invaluable for most of my research; actually my PhD thesis could not have been written without. That said, could you please give me an example of the syntax of what you are explaining in your comment. I'm not able to reproduce a working search based on your explanation, which is undoubtedly due to my inexperience with this type of searching.

Sincerely,

Robert.

• Brian K. Mitchell likes this

#4 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Emerald

• Admin
  • 11,667 posts
  • Twitter:accordancebible
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS, Android

Posted 06 January 2018 - 09:01 PM

It isn't working as I anticipated, sorry. It seems that you can only search for one character on a word at a time.

Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#5 rvoogdgeert

rvoogdgeert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 05:22 AM

It isn't working as I anticipated, sorry. It seems that you can only search for one character on a word at a time.

Thank you for checking, this is what I experienced too.

#6 rvoogdgeert

rvoogdgeert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 05:24 AM

With regard to the 'list of new features'. With the beautiful Masora Thesaurus wouldn't it be great if the search capabilities for cantillation would also be extended?

• Brian K. Mitchell, Gordon and TYA like this

#7 Michel Gilbert

Michel Gilbert

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS, Android

Posted 09 January 2018 - 02:24 PM

+1

#8 Brian K. Mitchell

Brian K. Mitchell

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Platforms:Windows

Posted 09 November 2018 - 07:36 AM

+1

Edited by Brian K. Mitchell, 09 November 2018 - 07:36 AM.

חַפְּשׂוּ בַּתּוֹרָה הֵיטֵב וְאַל תִּסְתַּמְּכוּ עַל דְּבָרַי

Currently running Accordance on:

Windows 10 (64bit)

FRNX Series  (2015)
Core i7-4710 MQ CPU @ 2.50GHz

#9 miketisdell

miketisdell

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts
  • Platforms:Windows, Android

Posted 09 November 2018 - 08:16 AM

+1

#10 דָנִיאֶל

דָנִיאֶל

Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,379 posts
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, Android

Posted 09 November 2018 - 09:50 AM

+1

Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua
ἡ μόνη ἀγαθὴ γλῶσσα γλῶσσα νεκρὰ ἐστιν
lišanu ēdēnitu damqitu lišanu mītu

"Du stammst vom Herrn Adam und der Herrin Eva ab", sagte Aslan. "Und das ist zugleich Ehre genug, um das Häupt des ärmsten Bettlers zu erheben, und genug, um die Schultern des größten Kaisers auf Erden zu beugen. Sei zufrieden." Aslan, Die Chroniken von Narnia, Prinz Kaspian von Narnia. CS Lewis. Übersetzt von Wolfgang Holbein und Christian Rendel.

Accordance Syntax Search For Wallace's Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics : https://github.com/4...WallaceInSyntax

Accordance Crib Sheets: http://47rooks.com/l...ch-crib-sheets/

Accordance Configurations :

Mac : 2009 27" iMac
12GB RAM

Windows : MSI GE72 7RE Apache Pro laptop
Intel Core Duo Intel i7 Kabylake

Android : Samsung Note III 5.0, Samsung Tab S3 7.0 and Lenovo TAB4 8" 7.1

#11 MattChristian

MattChristian

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Interests:Assyriology, Dead Sea Scrolls, Semitic Linguistics, Language Contact, Hebrew, Greek, Syriac, Akkadian,. Ugaritic, Sumerian, Hittite,Jesus, Coffee
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 11 November 2018 - 10:23 PM

There are at least two different threads asking for a similar aspect, as well as mention of a Bibleworks database (that maybe could be sought after?). There seems to be an increase in interest in this sort of thing. I wouldn't go for it but I know others are very interested and with something that is already made and may run well with Accordance would be of benefit

Cheers,

Matt C

#12 TYA

TYA

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • Interests:Panasonic Toughbook CF-31
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Intel I5 CPU (2.4GHz)
    8GB Ram
  • Platforms:Windows

Posted 12 November 2018 - 12:42 AM

With regard to the 'list of new features'. With the beautiful Masora Thesaurus wouldn't it be great if the search capabilities for cantillation would also be extended?

+1

Edited by TYA, 12 November 2018 - 12:42 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Masora, cantillation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users