OzBassman

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Accordance Version:12.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:04 PM

Hello Fellow Accordance Forum members,

I have newly been accepted into the Roman Catholic Church from Anglicanism.  Being new to Catholicism I hoping that others may know where I should start with recommended Bundles to add to my Starter's Package. I have already downloaded BAR and The Charles Spurgeon Bundle.  I know Spurgeon was a protestant.  Though I have always wanted to read his sermons.  With BAR it was too good a deal to knock back as I already subscribe to the paper magazine.

I should add that I have sat in on nights of teachings and learned more than I previously knew or thought about Catholicism.  I am suffering from Chronic PTSD and Major Depression and do not get out much these days and would like to learn from home whilst trying to make the odd Mass.

One thing that I learned from an evenings teaching is that the Garden of Eden was a Temple with one entrance.  I would like to know more about this teaching and where it came from.

With regards to Catholicism I do not know where to start and would like some progressive steps in purchasing one Bundle or Add-on at time.

Thank you very much.

Warm regards,

Paul.

Kind regards,

Paul.

#2 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 3,539 posts
  • Twitter:@thislamp
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS, Android

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:45 PM

Paul, this search for "Catholic" will net you quite a few resources available for Accordance.

Rick Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

Accordance Bible Software

Gear for Running Accordance:

macOS

2014 Mac Mini - 2.6 Ghz dual core Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, macOS High Sierra

2016 15" MacBook Pro - 2.9 Ghz quad core Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, macOS High Sierra

Windows

2014 15.6" Acer R7-572 - 1.6 Ghz Core i5, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB mSATA, 512 GB SSD, Windows 10 Pro

+ Parallels install of Windows 10 Pro on the above MacBook Pro

iOS

2017 iPhone X - 256 GB, Verizon, iOS 12 beta

2016 iPad Pro (12.9") - 256 GB, Verizon, iOS 11.x

Android 

2017 Amazon Fire HD 8 - 32 GB internal + 64 GB microSD, Fire OS 5.6 (=Android OS 5.x)

2017 Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 - 128 GB internal, Android OS 8.0

2017 Blu Grand M - 8 GB internal + 64 GB microSD, Android OS 6.0

#3 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Mithril

• Accordance
  • 3,539 posts
  • Twitter:@thislamp
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS, Android

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:47 PM

Hmm...the forums don't seem to like my search URL. Try this shortened version

Rick Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

Accordance Bible Software

Gear for Running Accordance:

macOS

2014 Mac Mini - 2.6 Ghz dual core Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, macOS High Sierra

2016 15" MacBook Pro - 2.9 Ghz quad core Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, macOS High Sierra

Windows

2014 15.6" Acer R7-572 - 1.6 Ghz Core i5, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB mSATA, 512 GB SSD, Windows 10 Pro

+ Parallels install of Windows 10 Pro on the above MacBook Pro

iOS

2017 iPhone X - 256 GB, Verizon, iOS 12 beta

2016 iPad Pro (12.9") - 256 GB, Verizon, iOS 11.x

Android 

2017 Amazon Fire HD 8 - 32 GB internal + 64 GB microSD, Fire OS 5.6 (=Android OS 5.x)

2017 Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 - 128 GB internal, Android OS 8.0

2017 Blu Grand M - 8 GB internal + 64 GB microSD, Android OS 6.0

#4 OzBassman

OzBassman

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:39 PM

Thank you Mithril ( I see you are a Tolkien fan too),

Yes there are a lot to choose from.  I do not know where to start.  Spoilt for choices.  There is one titled "

Catholic Bibles and texts to add to the Starter Collection

Which might be the a place worth starting.

Thank you very much,

Paul.

Kind regards,

Paul.

#5 SimpleTheist

SimpleTheist

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x
  • Platforms:Windows

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:52 AM

First things first, you should probably make sure you have a catholic bible. They should all include the apocrypha, and it just helps in general to the same bible your church uses. Looks like the Catholic Commentaries Set is probably the next option after you get some Catholic bibles.

#6 OzBassman

OzBassman

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:59 AM

Thank you Simple Theist,

Our church only has one Bible and that is the one the priest uses (we are a little bush church).  I can email the preist to see what he would recommend.  ST, would you have any recommendations as with regards to Catholic Bibles and Commentaries please?  Price is no option as I am happy to save.  Greater the reward.

I think I might be looking at Catholic Bibles and texts to add to the Starter Collection

Warm regards,

Paul.

Edited by OzBassman, 16 January 2018 - 02:02 AM.

Kind regards,

Paul.

#7 ukfraser

ukfraser

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts
  • Accordance Version:2.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:33 AM

Paul, in the uk the Jerusalem Bible was the one the catholics were using when I was with them a lot on ecumenical meetings. For about 40 years it was my go to bible as I had the study bible version and I took it everywhere, even in Anglican meetings, until I got an iPad and Accordance.

https://www.accordan...etails/?pid=NJB

But I see Accordance also has this study bible which I haven’t come across(the jerusalem bible study version I used isn’t in accordance), but I think a study bible is a great help as an initial step to understanding a passage and you should consider this as well as it will work with any version your priest suggests. (Think of a study bible as a you are here map conveniently placed in a city centre for quick navigation and a commentary as your tourist guide book).

https://www.accordan...etails/?pid=CSB

Edited by ukfraser, 16 January 2018 - 05:19 AM.

Fraser Sims
Accordance 2x iOS 11x on iPad pro and iOS 9 on iPhone 4s, occasionally accordance 12x on Mountain Lion on a reliable '08 mbp.
Other life enhancing software I use includes: forScore with AirTurn page turner for leading the service including the music from my iPad, HymnQuest for developing my selection of appropriate music, Sibelius for preparing music scores, Lightroom for my photo library.

#8 OzBassman

OzBassman

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 05:25 AM

Thank you ukfraser,

I will check it tomorrow morning.  I am still awaiting to hear from priest.  Thought it will be the first thing I do after morning prayer.

God Bless,,

Paul.

Kind regards,

Paul.

#9 Daniel Francis

Daniel Francis

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts
  • Interests:Contemplative prayer, ecological stewardship, science-fiction, and cat herding are some of my interests.
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, iOS

Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:00 PM

CATHOLIC BIBLES AND TEXTS TO ADD TO THE STARTER COLLECTION

Is a great value and will add most of what you will likely want in as far as core resources..

CATHOLIC COMMENTARIES SET

Is a good value and has great scholarship in there and a bit more devotional side in the CCSS.

There are 3 smaller one volume commentaries that are worth investigating that come at the Bible from an ecumenical angle and not strictly catholic (although catholic scholars contributed to various parts) and  they do cover all the catholic books of the Bible.

FORTRESS COMMENTARY ON THE BIBLE

EERDMANS COMMENTARY ON THE BIBLE

NEW INTERPRETER’S BIBLE ONE-VOLUME COMMENTARY

-dan

#10 OzBassman

OzBassman

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 05:11 PM

Dear Daniel,  Thank you for your comprehensive list.  I finally took the plunge and purchased the first set on your list.  I am enjoying using the Jerusalem Bible as my source text with Catholic Study Bible as my Commentary reference.

The Catholic Commentaries Set looks exciting also.  Though I will have to save up for this over time.

Thank you for replying and to everyone else as well.

I have saved your email for latter reference when my budget allows.

Warm regards,

Paul.

• Daniel Francis likes this

Kind regards,

Paul.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users